Dethklok
Dethalbum III

by King Henry VIII USER (62 Reviews)
October 15th, 2012 | 212 replies | 19,506 views

Review Summary: Another awesome Dethalbum that tops its predecessor yet again.

Around mid-April, Brendon Small released his new Metalocalypse season, as well as his solo album Galaktikon simultaneously on the same day. What we saw that day was a knee-jerk reaction from the hardcore fan base that surrounds Metalocalypse. Wondering why the hell is Mr. Small releasing a new Metalocalypse season without a single whisper being made about a possible Dethalbum III? Until halfway in Metalocalypse’s 4th season did Mr. Small mention that there’s a good chance of a new Dethalbum at the end of the year. To my speculation, I was half expecting the album to be released around late-December or next spring based on the assumption of time in between the release of Galaktikon and the new Dethalbum. As an avid fan of anything Metalocalypse related, I was nearly on the verge of pissing myself from excitement when I saw the release information for Dethalbum III. I tell you what; it sure was worth the wait.

“I Ejaculate Fire” starts off this monster of an album with a haunting Egyptian vibe and a crushing riff that tears you into the Dethklok dimension. Some may be thinking, are the lyrics funny or just retarded? Does kvlt answer your question? How about clichéd, or stereotypical for death metal lyrics? If that answers your question, then yes, it’s awesome. Other songs such as “The Hammer”, “Crush the Industry”, “Biological Warfare”, and “The Galaxy” are great examples of hard-hitting-instant Dethklok classics that carry on the style that was presented from the previous Dethalbums along with the album opener “I Ejaculate Fire”, with characteristics that differ from the other Dethalbums.

What separates Dethalbum III from its predecessors is Brendon Small’s performance all across the board. Vocally, it seems like he’s toned it down a bit or maybe it’s just the production quality, but it is noticeable. Another aspect of Brendon’s musicianship that we haven’t seen before is the quality in his improvisation on the solos. As I said before, we have those Dethklok classics that run in the same vein within the Dethklok dimensions. However, we also see Brendon Small experimenting with traditional styled Death Metal songs around mid-way in the album with songs “Starved”, “Killstrado Abominations”, and “Ghostqueen”. What I mean by that is Brendon is using traditional death metal styled riffs, yet he still maintains his melodic edge that he’s known for.

In the end, we see Brendon Small outdo himself compared to the rest of the material he has written over the years. We also see Brendon becoming a formidable guitar virtuoso that’ll become a major influence from a new generation of death metal bands, considering Dethklok’s popularity and all. As a result, Dethalbum III is ***ing badass and probably one of the best albums to be released in 2012.