All Time Low
Don't Panic

by ziyaadalawie USER (2 Reviews)
October 13th, 2012 | 25 replies | 1,747 views

Review Summary: They just a moment so dont let them pass you by!

When ATL released their first EP that stoked the pop punk genre there was a lot of talk about the band, some people even said they could be the new Blimk182. Ever since then expectations were high. BE honest as an ATL fan you have to admit no matter how much you love this band they are never going to be the best rock band in the world and in their previous attempts it is evident. So here we are in 2012 with the release of Don’t Panic an album that will put them back on the Pop Punk Genres best bands list.

In Dirty Work it seemed as if they were trying too hard, trying too hard to be the best. Therefore on this album they really went back to their old roots and just had fun with the album just like they did on So Wrong Its Right. They have really scratched the surface with creative topics this time around which are not that generic as previous attempts.

The album starts off with "The Recklace and the Brave" the song that received so much hate when it was released which in my opinion could might as well been out on Dirty Work. Its not a bad song but could have been better. "Backseat Serenade" a song dedicated to summer romance as it gives remembrance to "Six feet under the stars" with Female vocals. "If These Sheets Were States" reminds me of Weightless, talking about stuck at home when you want to be out and having fun. Comparing ones bedroom as a city and having fun it, quite creative if you ask me.

"Somewhere In Neverland" one of the albums highlights as it deals with the thoughts of growing up and trying to feel young again. It’s a song that’s aimed at a more older fan base similar to Yellowcards Southern Air release.
The track "So Long Soldier" speaks about possibly the history of Alex and ATL. Its a powerful song as the drumming and guitars are aggressive as well Alex voice but i just feel they could have done more with the chorus.

Track 8, "Outlines (Feat Jason Vena)"could possibility be the best song written by ATL and is the catchiest song on the album! It’s the first time we here a song like this from ATL as the lyrics go:
"We can be a story in the morning, but a legend tonight"
Which is catchy as *** and will definitely be an anthem for fans.

The album comes to end with "For Baltimore”, "Paint You Wings", "So Long, And Thanks For All The Booze". "For Baltimore" is a good track and is a typical song written by ATL which speaks about the night life and partying, I don’t know why they would add Baltimore in it though. "So Long, And Thanks For All The Booze" could easily be written for a live purpose. its one of the less great tracks on the album but it still works for this alum.

The album has its miss steps such as "The Irony of Choking on a Lifesaver" and aspects in between songs but who cares? If you are someone that listens to ATL and you a fan why would you pick out the negatives? This is the album you would want if you an ATL fan. Some will still feel that this album is poor, but that’s going to be because they don’t know the significance in this album release.

The only thing missing here though is a ballad type song, but looking at the other tracks that would not be necessary. So what now? What would ATL do next? Who cares! This album has lasting value and I’m sure ATL could take a year break after this one. Its just a pity that this album wasn’t released in the summer. (Speaking northern hemisphere even though I’m from South Africa) but for me, it has summer 2012 written all over it! Well Done All Time Low.

3.3