Flogging Molly
Within a Mile of Home

by Aaron CONTRIBUTOR (109 Reviews)
October 11th, 2012 | 28 replies

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The folk infused third entry.

After the major success of their first two albums Flogging Molly were making quite the name for themselves. Their special brand of upbeat Irish punk was working great for them, but it was time to change things up a bit. Don‘t worry, they’re still the Flogging Molly many of us know and love, but their third studio album Within a Mile of Home has more experimentation then their first two efforts. In a way, it’s Flogging Molly’s folk record. Although they’ve always incorporated some folk influence into their music, it’s never stood out like it does now. They do a fantastic job however, proving they can still make a great album while tweaking their sound.

There‘s a good deal of variety on their third venture. It’s completely packed with folk influences and some soothing ballads. There are still several songs that will please fans of their early work such as the fast paced ‘Screaming at the Wailing Wall‘, but for the most part the album feels much more mellow. One advantage to the slightly slowed pace is that individual instruments get the chance to stand out better. On ‘The Spoken Wheel’ we are given a nice dose of acoustic guitars, but many songs feature great folk inspired guitar work as well.

As I hinted before this album has a bit of everything so don’t expect a straight up folk record. Songs like the upbeat opener and the fan favorite ‘Tobacco Island’ are reminiscent of the fast paced songs on their debut, but one of the albums most enjoyable tracks is ‘Tomorrow Comes A Day To Soon’. It’s a traditional folk sounding dance song, with an Irish twist of course. It’s one of those Flogging Molly songs where you’ll find it hard not to just tap your feet. Perhaps the most impacting song however is the fantastic final track ‘Don’t Let Me Die Still Wondering’. The band has always been good at pairing meaningful lyrics with their somber ballads, and this song is no different. Essentially, it’s a song about life lessons and mistakes and it brings the album to a satisfying close.

Although it’s definitely not a complete departure from the band’s previous work, there’s no denying this is one of their most varied albums. It has songs that will please longtime fans, but also has the potential to draw in new listeners with it’s larger emphasis on folk. Releasing not two, but three excellent albums back to back is no simple task. Within A Mile Of Home may not pack as big a punch as their last two outings, but it’s still an enjoyable listen full of variety and as expected, solid musicianship.

The Residents EskimoTrvth Approaching

Rudd13 (4)

MichaelSnoxall

best album ever agreed

19798 Comments

Haha that's what you've said on every one of my Flogging Molly reviews ;)

Digging: Yellowcard - Lift a Sail

XingKing
October 11th 2012

I can get behind some of these tunes. I dig the stronger emphasis on folk. Are you a fan of folk metal, Atari?

19798 Comments

If Agalloch or Ulver count as folk metal than yeah lol or neurosis or isis? I don't know what bands you talking about?.

XingKing
October 11th 2012

Check this out. Eluveitie.

And this is the beloved Finntroll.

19798 Comments

Damn I checked both links out pretty good. I like almost anything with folk or celtic influences.

Calc
October 11th 2012

Your summary implies the first two albums sucked....but your ratings and reviews say otherwise....I'm confused..

Digging: Milo - A Toothpaste Suburb

SgtPepper
October 11th 2012

I checked this band out, it wasnt really my thing but they have a cool sound.
POS'd on the review.

menawati
October 11th 2012

dont like their music but i like the review, pos'd

Digging: iamthemorning - Belighted

Crawl
October 11th 2012

Best one by Flogging molly.

Thanks everyone

@Calc, you're right lol I was trying to come up with a clever summary but third times the charm does imply their first 2 albums weren't as good which wasn't what I was going for. Changed the summary

October 11th 2012

Review reads well bro, pos'd, wish I could enjoy this with you guys

Digging: Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta III ? Saturnian Poetry

Thanks buddy.

@Crawl, no way! lol it's great but their first 2 albums are the best.

Ecnalzen
October 11th 2012

Good stuff, as per usual. Here's a pos, just for you.

Folk Metal? What?? I didn't know such a thing existed. I have been missing out!

19798 Comments

@Ecnalzen, yeah it sounded pretty sweet from what I've heard and thanks.

Agalloch also incoporate folk into their metal check out the mantle if you haven't heard it.

Ecnalzen
October 11th 2012

Alright, I'll give it a listen. I'm with you on the whole celtic influence Atari. It has such a cool sound to it.

The video Xing King posted by Eluveitie is awesome.

Steoandnoodles

Nice review dude. =)

19798 Comments

@Steo, thanks man you like Flogging Molly? I know his voice is an acquired taste but you might like this once since it has more of a folk sound.

By the way I love your avatar lol. I didn't even realize it was yoshi before.

Steoandnoodles
October 11th 2012

Yeah man. It's Yoshi havin' a nap on a log. =)

I haven't listened to this yet. I'll give it a listen.

19798 Comments

K you might hate the vocalist but thanks for giving it a chance ;)