Wolf Whistle
MA Glory

by XingKing USER (12 Reviews)
October 11th, 2012 | 27 replies | 2,049 views

Review Summary: Going nowhere? Flip that coin.

Hailing from New Bedford, MA and formed in 2007, Wolf Whistle could be considered somewhat of a hardcore super group. Featuring members from Have Heart, xFilesx and the Rival Mob, this certainly sounds like the recipe for some quality hardcore. What you are treated to is 8 whole minutes of blistering hardcore that is over before you even have a moment to realize you have just taken a kick to the face.

Opening track "Numb Face" begins with bagpipes playing a horribly sloppy rendition of the opening track to Dropkick Murphys' classic Do or Die record. A rather humorous and purposefully anti-climactic intro, this song sets the tone the rest of the record. Most of the lyrics, delivered by Pat Flynn of Have Heart fame, contain a common theme of discussing how miserable of a place New Bedford is. He moves from topics such as the landscape he saw while being laid off from his job on chugging "Thick Brick" , politics on "Closing in Camelot" with a main vocal line of "Massachusetts, we want something. We work for ***ing nothing!" , sleep troubles on hard hitting "Summer Insomnia" , complete with references to author Ray Carver and the general dread of knowing that leaving one awful place will just result in finding a new awful place to dwell on many of the other tracks. While in Have Heart, Flynn's lyrics typically took a highly poetic and positive stance. Wolf Whistle stands in stark contrast as Flynn's lyrics are far more straightforward and all of the positivity found in Have Heart has been completely turned inside out into rage. Make no mistake, Flynn is not the same man as he was in Have Heart as is quickly apparent by his absolutely desperate sounding and vicious vocal performance.

While standing at a meager 8 minutes, you would think most of the tracks would bleed together. Guitarist Trevor Vaughn and bassist Derek DaSilva, formerly from xFilesx and a Working Man Records employee, begin most of the less than 1 minute tracks with feedback before descending into utter chaos. Musically, the album is very reminiscent of xFilesx and Ceremony with blistering guitarwork and matching bass. Drummer from the Rival Mob, Evan Radigan, holds the band together wonderfully. He brings nothing new to the table but utilizes many styles from blast beats to occasionally slowing down with a heavy plodding beat. "En Attendant Hudon" is the absolute standout track here. The band slow things down considerably for an immensely crushing song, reminiscent of Still Nothing Moves You era Ceremony, about missing a friend and committing suicide in his absence, a humorous reference to "Waiting for Godot" by Samuel Beckett. "MA has a void. VA has us beat. Bring a long strong rope to the woods of Friend's Academy. Paint dries. Grass grows."

On the production side of things, the album is shockingly tight for such a small band. With member Trevor Vaughn handling the mix, the production is absolutely crisp with the guitars cutting like a knife through butter and the bass having one hell of a low end crunch. The production on the drums sounds absolutely killer and every hit is heard beautifully, adding that much more punch. On the vocal side of things, Pat Flynn's lyrics can be incredibly hard to hear and decipher, though he gives one hell of a performance and has a wonderful trade off technique with the backup vocalists.

The albums biggest flaw is its lack of content. Having been five years since their last 7 minute EP and two years since their live album, 8 minutes is just ungodly short for such a long wait. The album doesn't contain any lyrics sheet and the listener is left to pick up what they can. Also missing are the instantly memorable sections found on their demo. They were quick, but perfect for a show setting and it takes several listens to comprehend MA Glory in full. Oddly enough, the most tragic thing missing from MA Glory is it's title track, released two years prior on a Triple B comp as a tease of things to come. No explanation was included for this lack of inclusion and it truly is a shame that a band would cut their best written track to date from its own namesake EP.

In the end, you could listen to the bands entire discography in less than 20 minutes. What Wolf Whistle have released here is a solid journey through one man's depression backed with aggression and crushing tones. You have absolutely nothing to lose giving 8 minutes to listen to it in its entirety if you are a fan of hardcore and power violence akin to xFilesx. With a full length on the horizon, hopefully this EP is just a glimpse of things to come from the collective minds of some of hardcore's greats. "Thank you. Signing off, goodnight." - "Small State Blues".

1994! FCKYRHEDName Internet Killed The Audio Star
For Want Of SmokeWilliam Bonney Good Vibes
The Bulletproof Tiger You Wanna Kiss About it?We Came Out Like Tigers Agelessness And Lack
3.3

En Attendant Hudon -

MA Glory-

I'm on a roll reviewing releases no one gives a shit about. I need to keep it up. You could listen to this EP faster than you can read this review.

19453 Comments

Lol what daquk is this?

Digging: The Who - Tommy

October 11th 2012

Much like my other reviews, albums no one gives a shit about. I check out their facebook every so often to see what they are up to and I decided I would review this for my own amusement. I'm also trying to review albums that have a low amount of user scores and no reviews already. You'd think having the vocalist of Have Heart would have gotten these guys way more exposure.

19453 Comments

Haha was just messing around. Interesting and fun review man pos'd.

October 11th 2012

Oh, you! Too sweet! Love.

At the very least, dinosaurs are cool.

ReturnToRock

So does this album last 8 minutes altogether? :O

October 11th 2012

That is correct, my good man. The longest track on here is about 1:07 and the shortest is 0:18. You could listen to their first two EPs, the live set of their entire first two EPs AND this album combined in less than 40 minutes.

ReturnToRock
October 11th 2012

LOL value for money much?

pmmets07
October 11th 2012

decent ep. went to the record release for this and it was pre fun

neons suk

Digging: Gal Costa - Gal Costa

Ecnalzen
October 11th 2012

Good review. I'm surprised and impressed at how much you were able to write about an 8 minute CD.

October 11th 2012

Thanks Ecnalzen. You gotta warn people just how their precious 8 minutes will be spent with an overly long review, y'know?

@ Toucan Sam: That's awesome. It was last week or something too, wasn't it? Do you live in MA?

October 11th 2012

Really good band. Almost went to their record release last Friday but saw Energy instead.

Hep Kat

ooooo wow sorry bro

Digging: Sir Michael Rocks - Banco

October 11th 2012

Not a bad 3rd review either. Some weird/sloppy parts but it's a real hurdle trying to write for such short releases and you did a good job, pos.

October 11th 2012

Sorry? Energy puts on such a good show, and the venue for this show was a half hour drive...versus the 3 hour drive to see Wolf Whistle. So worth it.

Also, Pat Flynn started playing Have Heart songs half way through the set, a friend told me.

October 11th 2012

I wasn't sure how to word a lot of my thoughts and just forced them out as best I could. It probably doesn't help that I wrote this and Trash Talks review at 1 AM and 3 AM. Thanks though!

I'd say a three hour drive isn't really worth it when the band is only capable of playing a 20 minute set. The addition of Have Heart songs is awesome (and I'd have jizzed my pants like no other) and would have been sweet to see.

October 11th 2012

Read what you write out aloud to yourself. That is the most important thing I learned when it comes to
writing. If you're really ambitious, read it aloud to someone else.

October 11th 2012

And I used see Have Heart all the time when they were around, and went to their last show. Woulda been cool to see, but I wouldn't die over it.

Spluger
October 11th 2012

Solid review dude, pos. I was looking through the song titles and saw "No God in Gardner" and I gotta agree, Gardner, MA is a pretty shitty place to be/live haha. That song title alone makes me need to check this out.

Digging: Ceremony (USA-CA) - Violence Violence