Coheed and Cambria
The Afterman: Ascension

by Alex Beebe USER (126 Reviews)
October 11th, 2012 | 39 replies

Review Summary: The boys of Coheed release another ambitious installment in their series of concept albums, and even if it is a bit cluttered, it won't disappoint fans on any front.

The only issue that weakened both of Coheed's Good Apollo volumes was that the band was bringing this grand smorgasbord of differing influences to the table, such as decorating the style on their concept album with a neo-prog flare, post-hardcore's melody and furious pacing, and some alternative rock for accessibility's sake, but both albums were lacking a central hold to tie all of these genres together, and make the albums cohesively gel together better.

The production aid they received from Atticus Ross and Joe Barresi on their following album Year of the Black Rainbow was that missing piece their sound needed that brought everything together with a tight grip and gave them a more consistent and well-rounded sound.

Now their latest release The Afterman: Ascension lacks both of those producers, and Coheed are back to having a more dominant role in the production this time around instead of letting others take the wheel completely, though the album also sees the return of the two producers who had a hand in producing the first of the two Good Apollo volumes, From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness. It's audibly apparent on this album that the production change seems like a step backwards in quality to their state before Black Rainbow, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing at all.

Afterman does sadly suffer from the same issues the band suffered from before Black Rainbow. This album has so many interesting qualities about it, yet it's all over the place, and it's a bit uneven because of it. Fortunately though, disregarding these flaws, it’s just as good as From Fear and No World For Tomorrow, if not better for the same reasons.

The typically 6 minute semi-epic compositions are booming with power metal guitar chords of titan-like heights that come crashing down upon listeners in a clean and polished swoop, as sweeping electronics buzz and whirl in the background, providing visceral soundscapes of vast proportions with winding gargantuan scales that listeners are guided through at breakneck speed.

It's a step back sure, but no farther back than one step, and despite minor flaws abound, it's still a very enjoyable progressive rock release from one of the genre's leading new millennium heavyweights.

Les Claypool's Duo de Twang Four Foot ShackPeriphery Clear
Nickelback The Best of Nickelback Volume 1Eminem The Marshall Mathers LP 2
Active Child RaporJustin Timberlake The 20/20 Experience 2 of 2

October 11th 2012

Sputnik insists that my soundoff should be a review, and since I want to share my thoughts on this,
yet I can't condense my thoughts any more than this, here's a review that should be a soundoff. This
is probably my shortest and worst review ever since it isn't a fleshed-out review at all, so I
apologize for the lack of detail and possible vagueness.

Digging: Cathedrals - Cathedrals EP

tommygun
October 11th 2012

Good stuff man don't sweat the details this is a good concise writeup, have a pos

Dunpeal
October 11th 2012

idk man, you rated this same as GAi and say it's a step back from their last 2, which are pretty much their worst albums

October 11th 2012

damn, a staff and contributor showing me up in the same day

Digging: Viper the Rapper - You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack

DarthMann
October 11th 2012

ive looked at you differently ever since that media snobs podcast

October 11th 2012

Alright so, I just wrote in a new little section that actually goes into what the music on this album sounds like. I think it just improved this review by a lot. And don't worry Treb, you still have the best review of this album on the site.

October 11th 2012

Thanks dude. I needed to add something in lol, I felt like I didn't describe anything about the album's sound at all.

October 11th 2012

Ah, but unlike GA1 (and presumably YOTBR) it still manages to sound cohesive (apart from maybe the Domino-t/t transition), so that the diversity of ideas just makes it more interesting as a whole; they vary it well and manage to remain focused throughout

Digging: Dark Tranquillity - Character

October 11th 2012

It's hard to find a single sentence I agree with in this here review.

October 11th 2012

What's your fave here, Storm?

It's all crap.

October 11th 2012

I like the title song some.

Lol, still an insta5
Yeah, t/t is great

October 11th 2012

It's a grower as is any Coheed material so none of us actually have a final opinion right now.

I do know that I AM the Sputnikmusic Coheed and Cambria champion so any other CC review not done by me is not even a real review.

Aww, even mine :[?
And yeah, you should have a final showdown with Neverender and EverythingEvil4482 to prove it (are are they your alts?)

October 11th 2012

No those aren't accounts of mine.

Yours are still good, but they're not written by the 4 time Coheed and Cambria Champion. I don't think I reviewed YOTBR, otherwise I would be your 5 time Coheed and Cambria champion and once this album is reviewed by me I will be.

October 11th 2012

Lol, I'll have to find another band to be the sputfanboy of, probs gonna be Thrice

Iluvatar prolly has dibs on Taking Back Sunday that fag

October 11th 2012

What a dipshit lol, he's like the Staff CC champ, but still a noob

Yes you do