Aerosmith
Pump

by ImTheOnlyThugInTheBuildin USER (142 Reviews)
October 10th, 2012 | 4 replies

Release Date: 1989 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Great album

To call Aerosmith successful would be a huge understatement. In fact, they are one of the largest rock bands active today, putting out many high selling records, and generally being liked by near enough everybody. In my opinion, they hit their peak on Pump, which is a fun, energetic album, packed with great songs that are nothing more than rock when all is said and done.

Kicking things off with three of the band's best songs, we are introduced to Aerosmith in full speed ahead rock mode. Young Lust features some very good drumming, F.I.N.E is an energetic song with great vocals, and Love In An Elevator is the smash hit, ultra catchy song that everybody who has heard of Aerosmith knows. All three are exceedingly cheesy, but all three are completely straight forward, fun rock songs that have extremely good choruses, well thought out lyrics, and tight enough instrumentals.

Monkey On The Back and Janie's Got A Gun are two of the more serious songs on the album, the former dealing with drug addiction and the latter talking of incest and murder. Both are dark numbers, but both are very good at ensuring this album does not become stale or boring throughout its duration. Both of these are also amazing songs that are perfectly written, with some good vocal work to top it off.

The Other Side has a rather odd intro, before diving into the rock sound that the band are known for, and is a good tune to just kick back and listen to. In fact, this may well be the go to song of the album, having a little variation to it, an being great fun to just put on whenever. Don't Get Mad, Get Even is another song to put on, being a lot softer than much of the album for the most part of it, and boasting a rather nice guitar solo to it.

This was where Aerosmith were at their peak, combining interesting instrumentals with powerful vocals, and a nice varied bunch of songs that never cease to entertain. The down sides to this is that the vocal work does not have enough variation to it, and that some of the lyrics are far too cheesy. However, on the whole, this release definitely is good for a listen here and there. 4/5