Hands Like Houses
Ground Dweller

by Devon Benn USER (9 Reviews)
October 10th, 2012 | 5 replies | 1,351 views

Review Summary: Great music. Generic production.

(My first review. Cut me some slack.)

I never really have heard much about Hands Like Houses. All I knew is that they were an australian band. This immediatly made me want to give this band a chance, considering the fact that some of my favorite bands are from Australia. So I decided to give Ground Dweller a listen (which took me a while because I'm not the biggest fan of Cameron Mizell's production). I was immediatly blown away by what I listened to.

This band is absolutely talented in every way. Six young people from Australia in a post-hardcore band? I know it sounds bad but this is just fantastic. The album opens up with "Antartica." This song's intro is amazing in itself. I haven't heard electronics used in hardcore music sound this good since Number[s] by Woe, Is Me. I really enjoyed the intro to this. And then the vocalist came in. Wow. This dude can sing. It isn't super poppy/flashy but neither is it whiny or emo sounding. It's just sort of in the middle. The next song is "Don't Look Now, I'm Being Followed. Act Normal." The chorus is mainly my favorite part in this song. It's amazing.

My favorite song is "Lion Skin" which features Tyler Carter (formerly of Woe, Is Me and current vocalist in Issues) and Jonny Craig (formerly of Emarosa and Dance Gavin Dance). This trio of vocals create some of the best singing I have heard in a post-hardcore song since Isles and Glaciers. The drums in the chorus is pretty original and something I have never heard before used in a chorus.

The music structure is very cool. Post-hardcore but minus the screams and breakdowns and more emphesis on technicality in the instruments. Electronics are prevalent but are not overbearing and each use of a synthesizer compliments the song an the section of the song that it is used it.

My main issue with the release is production. This is what kept it from being a 5. The drum tones of Cameron Mizell can get pretty overbearing throughout the album. The drums are the metalcore sound. Doesn't really fit a band that in all honesty has a softer style compared to other albums that have been produced by Cameron. The guitar tone can also be pretty thin and noticebly thin at certain parts throughout the album. Bass is not audible but I've grown to expect that in this genre and in albums produced by Cameron.

All in all, if you like Emarosa, definitely check this out. If you are a fan of heavier post-hardcore bands, stay away from this. And if you hate Cameron Mizell's production, definitely stay away.

The Plot In You Could You Watch Your Children BurnWoe, Is Me Genesi[s]
Issues Black DiamondsThe Last Ten Seconds of Life Warpath
This or the Apocalypse Haunt What's LeftInterrupting Cow Gorsmotchua
foreverwestbound (5)
A debut that by all means excels and creates a memorable, enjoyable and deep album....

TBH717 (4.5)
A youthful and jubilant execution justifies not re-inventing the wheel in Hands Like Houses' first a...

Rowan5215 (4.5)
Trick question: try and find a more phenomenal debut from such a young band. Answer: you just can't....

Unimagine

sspedding

had some good tracks. Good first review. Pos

Calc

12022 Comments

Good first review. Like most other people you need to read your own review out loud and see where it sounds wrong.

Digging: Kashiwa Daisuke - April. #02

NothingForSomething

Good first review.

Next time, avoid phrases like "It's amazing". Doesn't really get the point across.

GiaNXGX
October 10th 2012

I hated this album but to be honest the review was very decent for your first one. Try to stay away from statements like "all in all," "overall," "in the end" etc. That should be integrated naturally through standard writing; the closing sentence / "paragraph" can be improved :] POS'd though.