Papa Roach
The Connection

good

by Alex Beebe USER (126 Reviews)
October 10th, 2012 | 49 replies

Review Summary: Though bound by generic constraints of its own making, The Connection succeeds in connecting all of Papa Roach’s past sounds to create their most varied album yet to act as an outlet for their over the top energy.

If anything can be said about Papa Roach that’s free of scorn or praise, it’s that their sound has undeniably gone through some radical changes throughout their career. Independently starting out in the mid-90's as a funk metal band with post-hardcore elements that took influence from Fugazi, Papa Roach soon went on to become a rapcore group and subsequently rose to popularity when the nu metal craze of the early 2000‘s came about. Since then, the band slowly evolved from an angsty rap metal squad to a bunch of glammed up 80‘s hard rock revivalists, drawing their influence mainly from the likes of Mötley Crüe.

To dismiss these changes Papa Roach saw over the course of their discography as the band simply jumping from bandwagon to bandwagon wouldn’t fair, as none of Papa Roach’s genre contemporaries have really sounded like them exactly. Similarities can of course be drawn, but none of Papa Roach’s peers haven’t attempted to pursue this 80‘s glam metal revival route. Papa Roach manage to stay one of a kind in their own way and still have their name survive and stay relevant throughout the years by retaining the alternative metal guitar crunch of their more popular genre-mates such as Staind and Three Days Grace, which is the only thing differentiating them from bands even more true to the sunset strip sound such as Hinder and Buckcherry.

This flamboyant niche sound they’ve carved out for themselves has managed to keep Papa Roach alive and somewhat relevant, but has made them sort of an anomaly in the modern radio rock scene, riding on the decent success of one single album after album, barely sustaining the attention they receive that lessens with each new release.

Changes to their sound aside, however, the one thing Papa Roach has always kept consistent is the energy in their music. Though they surround themselves with watered down renditions of outdated sounds that constrict and limit this energy, they’ve always worn a wild heart for intensity on their sleave that is unmatched by their other peers, and thankfully with their seventh studio album The Connection, Papa Roach have managed to convey this energy the present more effectively than they ever have before in their most impactful album to date.

They’re successful in doing so mainly because they bring more genres to the table than they ever have, giving them the band many more angles to work with. The Connection is, in a way, a compilation of every musical avenue Papa Roach has ventured down on their all of their past albums, along with several more recent musical trends they decide to try on for size.

After a long absence, rapping makes a triumphant return to Jacoby Shaddix’s vocal style on the lead single “Still Swingin’”, which is the same track where the band decides to try their hand at a dubstep bass breakdown for the first time, and Papa Roach also dips their feet in the waters of what seems like djent-style riffs on the track “Where Did the Angels Go”. However, these genres are very lazily incorporated into their sound, sounding more thrown on than fully embraced.

While these genres that they are experimenting with are really just modern scene sub-genres, and mostly seem like the band’s attempt to go with whatever is popular at the moment to stay hip, these are modern sounds nonetheless, and The Connection benefits from this because it has more modern sounds and production that compliments their personality-defining, over the top, energetic attitudes better than their glam metal albums ever did.

Unfortunately though, both the styles that have made a return to the band’s sound, and the ones that are new to the band are all displayed here in the most generic way imaginable. Every genre Papa Roach delves into on The Connection is a shallow stereotype of that genres sound, but even still, there is a broad range of sounds to be found on this album, and that variety comes together to make The Connection a solid album, their most modern sounding record in years, and Papa Roach’s most diverse record to date.

While Papa Roach isn’t even attempting to push themselves, or any of the many styles on this album in any new area or direction, they still have the most ballistic energy out of any one of their peers, and how that always seems to shine through counts for something.

Les Claypool's Duo de Twang Four Foot ShackPeriphery Clear
Nickelback The Best of Nickelback Volume 1Eminem The Marshall Mathers LP 2
Active Child RaporJustin Timberlake The 20/20 Experience 2 of 2
2.7
Green Baron (1.5)
Still swinging, and striking out with every at-bat....

Jon Gordon (3)
Still Swingin seven albums in.....

Jagzfan814 (2)
There's a reason a skull is on this album cover......

Aaron Arneson CONTRIBUTOR (1.5)
Welcome to the new generic. Now with more filler and forgettable choruses than ever before!...

October 10th 2012

I know, I gotta lay off the radio rock bands of early 2000's past for a change, but I
wanted to review this because I surprisingly had a lot to say about it, and I also
didn't think it was as bad as the other 2 reviews it had here said it was. Feedback is
appreciated, as always.

Digging: Cathedrals - Cathedrals EP

Good review dude pos'd.

As you can see I don't like this album lol but well written review

Digging: Spectral Lore - III

October 10th 2012

@Atari85 Thanks man! I read your review btw, and while I don't agree with it, you bring up perfectly valid and understandable points. Believe me, I can totally see why someone can really hate this album lol. Still though, I'm glad you thought I did a good job and enjoyed my review even though our opinions are pretty different.

19743 Comments

no problem I suppose my review was a bit harsh lol but I really don't like generic radio rock. I did enjoy some of Papa Roach's older stuff though. and yeah I don't only read reviews if I agree with the rating that's stupid lol.

October 10th 2012

There's a lot of people that do that shit unfortunately. Flame a review because of
the rating alone lol. And yeah, I guess I may be a little more forgiving with this kind
of music since I grew up on it and all. I too enjoyed some of Papa Roach's earlier
stuff more than this.

19743 Comments

Yeah I know there are but I'm not one of them. I will admit though I was just looking to write a negative review so it really was prolly too harsh lol.

truekebabpower
October 10th 2012

lol breakinghtefragile you always have to go against the rest of sputnik. Very informative review as always, I have to check out the djent influences on this, bound to be extremely funny.

October 10th 2012

@Atari85 lol, I don't blame you. I think I'm too nice dude, I think I've only given out
1 rating bellow a 2 to a new release this year.

October 10th 2012

@truekebabpower lol, that's me. Viva la revolution against the community. xD Thanks btw, glad you liked the review. Also, it's not EXACTLY djent riffs, but it really does sound a lot like it, I'm sure you'll know what I mean when you hear the track.

SgtPepper
October 10th 2012

I've only heard "Last Resort" by these guys, which is a pretty catchy little tune.

POS'd man, excellent work as always.

Papa Choke

@paperback: The album "Last Report" is off of is great.

October 10th 2012

I agree with Storm. Give it a listen Hernan, it's a really good album for what it is. It's
called "Infected". Btw, thanks as always for the praise and such Hernan dude. :D

Also, I just realized, why the hell is Papa Roach in the metal section? They're really
mostly a rock band.

*Infest

Right lol, sorry about that guys. It's 4 in the morning, pretty tired haha. XD

XingKing
October 10th 2012

They were once a nu-metal band, so the metal tag is somewhat fitting.

Yeah so is sell out.

SgtPepper
October 10th 2012

I'll check out the album, thanks for the rec.

October 10th 2012

It sucks compared to Lovehatetragedy. It's a mediocre album, and it's better than every single album that followed Lovehatetragedy, but it seriously just still doesn't compare.

October 10th 2012

Dude, I'm really glad to know there's someone else who likes lovehatetragedy haha.
Was beginning to think I was the only one. And yeah, this is definitely an
insteresting album and worth a listen, no gold has been struck with it though
unfortunately.

insomniac15
October 10th 2012

Is it this good ? Their last albums were bad and I don't really like the breakdown on Still Swingin' (the song isn't great either). Either way, I'll check it out. Great review btw, pos.

Digging: Amplifier - Mystoria