Green Day
Nimrod

by Ian USER (107 Reviews)
February 12th, 2006 | 27 replies | 5,858 views

Release Date: 1997 | Tracklist

Green Day jumped onto the mainstream bandwagon in the early nineties with Dookie, but after releasing their next album, Insomniac, it was clear that the band was becoming quickly stale. As with the currently infamous American Idiot, Green Day did try something new. They started thinking outside the box, including strings, acoustics, and even a harmonica for their next album, Nimrod.

The variety on Nimrod is what makes it great. It was something that was completely uncommon for the bands two records before it. Take Back is something that no fan would have expected from Green Day. For the most part, it is a seemingly metal song, but itís really something along the lines of regular punk. Thereís nothing complex in the song, regular chords are used, but the lyrics might even be more shocking than the music within the song. ďYou pushed me once too far again, I'd love to break your ***ing teeth. Iíll stick a knife in the center of your back. You better grow some eyes in the back of your head. I fight dirty, just like your looks. Can't take, can't take, I can't take anymore." Billieís vocal job on the song is low, and fast. At the chorus, ďTake back, take back, take" Billie does a low growl, but isnít actually screaming, however. Itís rather a very cool song, and I wish Green Day would write more songs such as it. Time Of Your Life was perhaps Green Dayís most recognized song before the American Idiot album was released. Itís a straightforward acoustic song that has a catchy rhythm to it, and the use of strings in the song helps to ever keep it from becoming repetitive. What I get out of the song is that everything well turn out right in the end, and people should enjoy life while they can. The single Hitchiní A Ride first made it clear that Green Day was attempting to do something new, and it worked out for them. Like in the video, the song gives off something reminiscent of a marching beat in the verse, and pre-chorus. Walking Aloneís a laid back song that uses a harmonica that is present throughout a lot of the song! Other than that though, the song is standard Green Day with some nice, but standard vocals from Billie.

Some songs are still regular Green Day, but still seem fresh. Scattered is standard Dookie, and is my personal favorite of the album. Itís slightly like another song on this album titled Redundant, but is a tad catchier. Nice Guys Finish Last was a fairly cool single for the band, with a rather neat video in which the band perfoms in a football stadium (P.S. the setlist Billie reveals on it is the same for a set he played in Mexico that is available on the internet). The bass playing in the beginning of the song, and the progressing one near the end that is slightly hidden both help keep the song in check. Platypus (I Hate You) is one of Green Dayís more punk-rock songs, and has some simple, yet guitar playing, and solid drumming. The vocals in parts of the song even reminds me of Take Back. There are only two songs for the whole of Nimrod that I would ever think of being below a great rating. King For A Day seems more filler than not, but Mikes fun bass line that goes through the whole song, and Billieís chanting of ďKing for a day, princess by dawn. King for a day in a leather thong. King for a day, princess by dawn." causes the song to be memorable in the listeners mind, but still gets old rather quickly. It seems with Last Ride In that the band was trying to create something of a surfer interlude to divide the album up, which would have been fine, if they hadnít made it almost four-minutes long. The sounds of waves beating along the beach are heard, and there is some average instrumentation, but it drags out forever, and feels almost redundant.

The instrumentation for the album was still simple for the most part, but because of many songs not sounding so much the same as Insomniac did, Green Day created a rather impressive album. Thereís almost no filler for the whole song, and Mike Dirntís bass playing particularly stands out. Treí Cool was beginning to stick back in the background not playing as many fills, but still had one, or two moments to shine. Billie Joeís vocals are interesting, and without a doubt is fairly snotty sounding. This doesnít compare to the greatness of Dookie, but is certainly the bands second best album to date.

Z-Ro CocaineEmery The Weak's End
Papa Roach Old Friends from Young YearsLinkin Park Living Things
Krizz Kaliko Kickin' and Screamin'Madina Lake From Them, Through Us, To You

pulseczar
February 12th 2006

Nice review man, I've only heard their first two albums and AI. I still like Dookie a lot, I used to be a big fan of these guys.

NEDM
February 12th 2006

Nimrod is probably my favorite Green Day album. Nice review.

labonza01
February 12th 2006

this is a good one, but dookie is my favorite from them. They sold out to an incredible extent with american idiot, though, and that is when i started to really hate green day. i just get very very angry when people tell me that american idiot is a good album, because the truth is is that its a horrible example of a band that let the media blow their heads up and did whatever they could possibly do to increase the cash flow.This Message Edited On 02.12.06

Thor
February 13th 2006

Good album, but overrated by many.

fisky009
February 13th 2006

A lot of fans over rate this, I fine it distictly average.

Nice review anyways.

Zebra
February 13th 2006

'Platypus' 'King For a Day' and 'Hitchin' a Ride' are the only tracks that are really strong off this album. It used to be my favorite Green Day album back in the day, but it faded off fast.
Nice review. You managed to cover a lot of songs in two brief paragraphs.

Music Nerd
February 13th 2006

Good review, and an excellent album. This is no filler on it.

pulseczar
February 13th 2006

[quote="Music Nerd"]How do you like Dookie if you've never heard it? You said you only heard thier first 2 albums (1039 hours, and Kerplunk).[/quote]

Oh yeah I forgot about those, I meant their first two major record label albums I guess. I've never heard the ones you've mentioned.

Electric City
February 13th 2006

Fine review Kripes, though I like mine better 8-).

I like this album, but I don't find it very strong after repeated listens. Insomniac is the number 1 GD album.This Message Edited On 02.13.06

Digging: Alvvays - Alvvays

masada
February 13th 2006

I can't say that I'm a fan of this album.

February 13th 2006

[quote=MusicOfficial]Fine review Kripes, though I like mine better 8-).

I like this album, but I don't find it very strong after repeated listens. Insomniac is the number 1 GD album.[/quote]
Thanks, I like this better.
No offense, but Insomniac is total shit.

TurnTheOtherWay
February 13th 2006

This is my favorite GD album, closely followed by 1039. Those are the only two GD albums I still listen to on a semi-regular basis, even though I used to be a huge fan.
Good review, except I don't agree about King For A Day being filler. I'd much rather have Last Ride In and King For A Day than 2-3 really generic songs near the end of the album like on Dookie and Insomniac. And they still play King For A Day live, or at least they did when I saw them last April, so I don't think they were just using it to take up space on an album.

February 13th 2006

Well, it seems rather boring to me.

Apathy

Magnificent review, Kripes.

*Again, Mazz does his good buddy a favour...*

nobodyblossomsforever
February 13th 2006

There was nothing awe-inspiring. Good Riddance and Platypus were the only one's I admired.

PapaSmurfed
February 16th 2006

Probably my favorite Green Day album... and i definitely dislike any of their new stuff out today.

February 16th 2006

[quote=Spat Out Plath]This album is boring. Nice job trying to salvage something from it though. [/quote]I'll take that as a very nice compliment.

Neoteric
February 16th 2006

The tracks I have heard from this are okay but what do I know about pop-punk?!?

Good review, you reviewing monkey!

greaney
February 19th 2006

You f@*#in pains in the arse if you all hate green day so much why are you even bothering to look them up

All thier albums rock including American idiot!!!

Good review

DownPaymentBlues78
February 19th 2006

Sh.it, calm down you psycopath. There are more than enough Green Day fanboys in the world, no need to hear from you.