Jay-Z
The Black Album

by thecreative0ne USER (50 Reviews)
October 7th, 2012 | 21 replies | 1,370 views

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

Review Summary: One of the best Jay-Z albums ever made.

Critical Responses:
NME: 8/10
Rapreviews.com: 9/10
Rolling Stone: 4/5
Vibe: 4.5/5

At the point of this album, Jay-Z had became an icon in the hip hop industry, you had to be living under a rock to not know who he is. Whether you love or hate Jay-Z, you can't deny his influence, his impact on the hip hop community and you can't deny his lyrical prowess. Around the time of this album, Jay-Z speculated retiring after this album, but of course he didn't. He has also launched the career of an MC, that is quite popular, that likes to start controversy, and has interrupted a pop/country singer, I'll just leave finding out who that is to you. He has also has an impressive discography, that has had barely any bad albums. This album was on the Rolling Stone Top 500 Albums of all time list, at 349th, being the 20th hip hop album on there. Now for the track by track review.

1. Interlude: Just an interlude, so I can't rate it.

2. December 4th: A classic song, that has Jay-Z talking about his past. One of the best Jay-Z songs ever, with excellent production provided by Just Blaze. 5/5

3. What More Can I Say: A classic song. 5/5

4. Encore: A classic song, with excellent production from Kanye West. 5/5

5. Change Clothes: A great song, that features Pharrell on the chorus, doing a good job. This is one of the most popular Jay-Z songs. 4/5

6. Dirt Off Your Shoulder: A classic song, that features excellent production provided by Timbaland. 5/5

7. Threat: A classic song. 5/5

8. Moment Of Clarity: A classic song. This song has been sampled in the songs, "Ghetto Show" by Talib Kweli, "In This World" by Reflection Eternal, and other songs. 5/5

9. 99 Problems: A classic song, that is one of the most popular, and one of the best Jay-Z songs ever. This song samples the songs, "99 Problems" by Ice-T, "Touched" by UGK, "Childrens Story" by Slick Rick, and other songs. 5/5

10. Public Service Announcement: A classic song, that features excellent production from Just Blaze. One of the best Jay-Z songs ever. This song samples the song "No One Can Do It Better" by The D.O.C, and other songs. 5/5

11. Justify My Thug: An average song, that has DJ Quik on the turntables, who is disappointing on this song. This song has been sampled in the song "Rock Box" by Run-DMC and other songs. 3/5

12. Lucifer: A classic song, that features excellent production from Kanye West. One of the best Jay-Z songs ever. 5/5

13. Allure: A classic song that features excellent production from The Neptunes. 5/5

14. My 1st Song: A classic song, an excellent way to end the album, and one of the best Jay-Z songs ever. 5/5

Overall I give this album, 9/10, 4.5/5, 96/100, and my grade for it is an "A".

3 Best Songs:

2. Change Clothes
3. Allure

Nas I Am...Boogie Down Productions Sex And Violence
Rakim The Seventh SealKRS-One I Got Next
Kool G Rap and DJ Polo Wanted: Dead Or AliveKool G Rap and DJ Polo Road to the Riches
Mr. Lean Mug (4.5)

mynameisSlimShady
October 7th 2012

I tried to think of the rapper you were talking about but couldn't think of any. Is it Kanye by any chance? I usually think of him as a producer first, and a rapper second. Also, nooooooooooooooooo a track by track. Burn it before it lays eggs!!!!!!!!!!!

Digging: Jin (Shizen no Teki-P) - Mekakucity Days

ViperAces

Still better thna Metallica [Somone had to]

Ethics
October 7th 2012

"Now for the track by track review."

lol

5/5: "A classic song..."

3/5: "An average song..."

Thanks, would not have known how to translate a song with those descriptions into a numerical rating.

Digging: Jolly - The Audio Guide to Happiness (Part 2)

Brostep
October 7th 2012

Does this guy pay attention to comments at all?

October 7th 2012

Overall I give this album, 9/10, 4.5/5, and my grade for it is an "A".

9/10 x 0.5/0.5 = 4.5/5, which is equivalent to an "A" on a general number-to-letter grade scale used widely at educational institutions across the country.

I just...I can't even...*passes out*

YoYoMancuso

stop writing.

October 7th 2012

Keep goin champ. Don't listen to da h8, beeleave in ur dream and reach 4 da stars, thecreative0ne 4 staff 2012.

YoYoMancuso
October 7th 2012

haha i knew Alex would share his thoughts eventually

October 7th 2012

Dude of course I would, I wouldn't miss another classic review.

"Around the time of this album, Jay-Z speculated retiring after this album, but of course he didn't."

Oh my god, this sentence was so fucking good I think it gave me cancer.

Youtellme

"Approval: 8%"

October 7th 2012

Yup, 25 reviews with an 8% approval rating. That seriously has to be some kind of record right?

Brostep
October 7th 2012

What would be really funny is if his next review were a really well-written review about some underground hip-hop and we find out that he was a staff member (like Sobhi) just trolling us extensively

GiaNXGX

^Exactly.

GiaNXGX
October 7th 2012

Keep on keeping on, and please review Kool Keith man :] it would be pretty cool.

October 7th 2012

that's what i found, pretty hit-or-miss

tommygun

wtf

Digging: J Mascis - Tied to a Star

ChuckyTruant

possibly worst review ever

Digging: Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails

ChuckyTruant

"Album Rating: 4

encore and 99 problems are good, not fond of this album though"

what

DutchDevotee
October 8th 2012

TheBrostepGuy wrote: 'Does this guy pay attention to comments at all?'

Yeah, he does. He now limits himself to one review per day.