Box Car Racer
Box Car Racer

by Aaron Arneson CONTRIBUTOR (109 Reviews)
October 7th, 2012 | 53 replies | 1,746 views

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Ever wondered where the newfound maturity on Blink 182's self titled album came from?

There‘s no denying Blink-182 are one of the most influential pop punk bands to emerge out of the 90’s. Whether you love them or hate them, they played an important role in influencing countless bands of the decade. Their sense of humor and the tag team vocals of Tom DeLonge and Mark Hoppus really made them stand out from the bunch. To this day bands of the genre continue to cite Blink-182 as an influence in their music. However, I’m afraid even some avid fans of the band have yet to hear Tom’s side project, Box Car Racer. Due to its signs of maturity, it’s sure to please fans of Blink-182s successful self titled effort.

Released in 2002, Box Car Racer’s self titled album was DeLonge’s attempt at creating a more rock oriented record. It still has pop punk influences, but it definitely has more of a hard rock edge to it. For the most part Tom’s voice sounds unchanged. The biggest difference in the music however as compared to his usual work is in the guitars. The first real standout ‘All Systems Go’ starts out with heavier guitars than expected, but the song’s also not afraid to show off DeLonge’s love for pop punk. It blends both genres rather nicely, as do many of the tracks. As expected, Travis Barker’s drumming is top notch and really adds character to some of the albums more experimental cuts. ‘My First Punk Song’ is one of the less serious songs that is highlighted by Barker’s rapid fire drums. Some may be turned off by the songs unusual vocals, but the guitars and drums are unusually heavy for the band.

Not all songs are upbeat though, as ‘Letters To God’ and ‘There Is’ prove to be touching emo-laced ballads. The lyrics are also darker and more true to life then a lot of Blink-182’s fun pop punk anthems which helps make them easier to relate to. ‘Letters to God’ is about exactly what the name suggestions. Tom reflects on thoughts of not being ready to leave this world, and asking God to give him another chance. It’s by no means religious, but a reflection of the darkness he feels through past regrets. These poignant lyrics are present throughout the album.

Caught off guard, all worked up, the air is as dark and cold as night. Let me know I’m not done, I swear I’ll take just one lifetime.
And I, I won’t lie, I won’t sin, maybe I don’t wanna go. Can’t you wait? Maybe I don’t wanna go.
Will this offer get me in, or does this prove that they gave more?

For those who have wondered where the sudden change in direction came from on Blink 182’s self titled album, look no further than Box Car Racer. Released only a year before their self titled album, the release really paved the way for the band's successful change in sound. If you don’t enjoy DeLonge’s other bands this album will do nothing to change your mind. For the rest of you, this was the beginning of Tom's maturity that really helped shape his material in Angels and Airwaves and Blink-182‘s last two albums. It’s just a shame this was the only release put out by the enjoyable and versatile side project.

The Residents EskimoTrvth Approaching
Agalloch The Serpent and the SphereThe Byrds Mr. Tambourine Man
Somos Temple of PlentyFireworks Oh, Common Life

October 6th 2012

I used to like this a lot
Nice review, pos'd hard

Digging: Armchairpolitician - Seven Segment Decoder

19627 Comments

Here's a link to the full album:

Digging: The Who - Tommy

Thanks trebs.

5th grade jams right here

19627 Comments

5th grade lol i was probably a junior in high school.

October 6th 2012

I'm gonna make a prediction...

crap band

Fun fact: Cat Like Thief ripped off my favorite Alkaline Trio track

barcafan21

1914 Comments

never got too into this

there is used to be my jam though

fun fact: sum 41 does shit like that often

19627 Comments

Chipmunk check out the link. You might like it since u seemed to like blinks self titled

October 6th 2012

i liked s/t because it was gay pop punk boy band goes experimental pop punk!!!!!

19627 Comments

that's kind of what this is lol. experimental pop punk. but blink 182 is not a gay pop punk boy band bitch ;D

YoYoMancuso
October 6th 2012

nice review although i hate this guy's voice. pos'd

19627 Comments

Thanks haha like I said before i'll be doing another metal review soon too.

I can understand why some people can't stand his voice but I grew up listening to it.

October 6th 2012

you know i be pullin' you chains bro!!!!!

yeah lol

Calc

I....love....this....record....

Digging: He Is Legend - Heavy Fruit

smh you people

Ecnalzen
October 6th 2012

I completely forgot about this! I'll have to check it out, it's been so long since I've heard it. I never even thought about it having influence on the S/T Blink album. Nice connection there.

19627 Comments

Thanks man. Well don't expect it to sound exactly like the self titled but I think it's the bridge between the old blink and the more mature blink