Jay-Z
The Blueprint

by thecreative0ne USER (50 Reviews)
October 6th, 2012 | 13 replies

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Jay-Z makes a "Blueprint" for a classic hip hop album.

Critical Responses:
USA Today: 4/4
Vibe: 5/5
The Source: 5 Mics
XXL: XXL

This album is so good that not even Osama Bin Laden could stop it's record sales, at 420,000 in it's 1st week. This album was on the Rolling Stone top 500 albums, at 252nd, out of it's hip hop albums on the list, The Blueprint made it at 14th, and on the Rolling Stone list of the 100 best albums of the 2000's, it made it at number 4 being the number 1 hip hop album on the list. The critical responses from other places were excellent as well, with Allmusic giving it 5/5, Vibe Magazine giving it 5/5, The Source magazine giving it 5 Mics, XXL giving it XXL (the equivalent of 5/5).

This album is not a return to the Jay-Z we heard on Reasonable Doubt, but a new Jay-Z, that wasn't as good as the Jay-Z heard on Reasonable Doubt, but still was excellent. He still chose a wide array of excellent topics to rhyme about as well. Now, for the track by track review.

1. The Ruler's Back: A classic song, and an excellent way to start the album. This song is a dedication song to Slick Rick, and even includes an interpolation of The Ruler's Back by Slick Rick. 5/5

2. Takeover: A classic song. This song has Jay-Z dissing his enemies, such as, Prodigy of Mobb Deep, Nas, and others. One of the best Jay-Z songs ever. This song features excellent production provided by Kanye West. One of the best Jay-Z songs ever, and the best song on the album. This song samples the song "Sound Of Da Police" by KRS-One. This song has been sampled in the songs, "Ether" by Nas, "The Rape Over" by Mos Def, "I'm A Hustla" by Cassidy, "300 Bars And Runnin" by The Game, and other songs. 5/5

3. Izzo (H.O.V.A): A classic song, although it is one of his more popular songs, it's still classic. This song features excellent production provided by Kanye West. This song has been sampled in the songs, "Business" by Eminem, "The People" by Common, and other songs. 5/5

4. Girls, Girls, Girls: An excellent song, that Jay-Z dedicates to the women. This song features excellent production from Just Blaze. This song has been sampled in the song, "Ether" by Nas, and other songs. 4.5/5

5. Jigga That N****: An excellent song. 4.5/5

6. U Don't Know: A classic song, with excellent production from Just Blaze. 5/5

7. Hola Hovito: A classic song, with with possibly the best production Timbaland has ever done. This song has been sampled in the song "Big Brother" by Kanye West, and other songs. 5/5

8. Heart Of The City (Ain't No Love): A classic song, that features excellent production from Kanye West. One of the best Jay-Z songs ever. 5/5

9. Never Change: A classic song. 5/5

10. Song Cry: A classic song. This song looks at a harsh breakup, with someone who isn't named in the song. One of the best Jay-Z songs ever, and one of the best songs on this album. This song has been sampled in the song, "Back Like That" by Ghostface Killah, and other songs. 5/5

11. All I Need: A classic song. This song has been sampled in the songs, "Favorite Thingz" by Saigon, "New York" by AZ, and other songs. 5/5

12. Renegade: A classic song. One of the best songs Jay-Z has ever done. This song features Eminem, who also provides the production for the song, and beats Jay-Z lyrically on the song. 5/5

13. Blueprint (Momma Loves Me): A classic song, and an excellent way to end the album. Jay-Z dedicated this song to his mom, and is one of the best Jay-Z songs ever. 5/5

Overall I give this album, 5/5, 10/10, and my grade for it is "A+".

3 Best Songs:

2. All I Need
3. Never Change

Nas I Am...Boogie Down Productions Sex And Violence
Rakim The Seventh SealKRS-One I Got Next
Kool G Rap and DJ Polo Wanted: Dead Or AliveKool G Rap and DJ Polo Road to the Riches
Peter M. (5)
"The Ruler's Back"....

Timeizillmatic9 (4.5)
Soulful beats and tight rhymes: Jigga at his finest...

gottagetmine92 (5)
"If I ain't better than BIG, I'm the closest one."...

Steven McMahan (4)
Not the first hip-hop classic of the 21st century, nor his best album, but an excellent hip-hop albu...

Ethics

Nice review, pos'd.

breakingthefragile
October 6th 2012

"This album is so good that not even Osama Bin Laden could stop it's record sales, at 420,000 in it's 1st week."

This is so idiotic to say just because it was released in 2001, but it's probably the closest thing to something clever that you've ever written in one of your reviews.

GiaNXGX

Amazing review.

This is so idiotic to say just because it was released in 2001

Alex, it was actually released on the day of the Al-Qaeda attacks. But alas the review still sucks

breakingthefragile
October 6th 2012

Oops, you're right, my bad. But yeah, agreed, review still sucks, as usual.

"Girls, Girls, Girls: An excellent song, that Jay-Z dedicates to the women."

REALLY NOW!?!?!?! But hey, it's good to know that records can have excellent songs as well as
classic ones.

"A classic song, although it is one of his more popular songs, it's still classic."

Popularity has nothing to do with a song's quality. In fact, for something to qualify as truely
"classic", being renowned for how good it is plays a major role in that I would think.

Brostep

GET DAT COMMENT COUNT UP

October 6th 2012

why does this have 2 upvotes?

"Popularity has nothing to do with a song's quality"

AMEN. I am sick and tired of people denouncing songs/bands just because they get played on the radio or have a #1 album or people actually know their name.

Hawks

none

bad review but lol at hawks calling out any1 on reviewing skills

zaruyache
October 6th 2012

I keep forgetting that Hawks like hip-hop. You have the weirdest consistency when it comes to musical interest, dude.

Digging: Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - In Glorious Times

mynameisSlimShady
October 7th 2012

I was going to pos it because the osama thing made me laugh for like 2 minutes straight but I just couldn't get over the rest of the review. So I won't neg, but I definitely won't pos either.