Heartsounds
Drifter

by ViralOblivion USER (1 Reviews)
October 7th, 2012 | 48 replies | 1,987 views

Review Summary: An impressive sophomore effort from one of the genres best new talents.

Heartsounds is a pop punk band from San Francisco that formed in 2009 after vocalist Laura Nichols and drummer Ben Murray decided to call it quits on their previous project, Light This City. Feeling burnt out from playing only metal for 6 years they decided to re-live their passion and released their first effort Until We Surrender with Epitaph Records. The debut was filled with infectious pop punk and memorable hooks, but the band is back to prove that they can raise the bar.

Heartsounds is an improvement over their debut in pretty much every aspect, what is most noticeable is the dual vocals with Murray’s slightly harsher voice and Nichols soothing lines. The first track shows this off and also shows off the bands more cohesive writing skills, especially with Murray’s guitar work pulling off some technicality that wasn’t shown on the debut, using metal melodies while making it still feel like pop punk is damn impressive. The first minute of 'Race to the Bottom'shows this off nicely and a shredding guitar solo in a pop punk song is always very satisfying.

Nichols vocal work is something that really shines on this album with tracks like 'Echo' and 'You Are Not Your Body.' She takes center stage and sings passionatley while also sounding like she’s having the time of her life, singing the lyrics “I'm drinking less in case I need to drive. You're drinking more to drown the hell that is this time, But you don't need that s***”

Heartsounds have expanded on their sound while retaining their metal roots, tighter songwriting and the dual vocals are really competent on this album and they play off each other flawlessly. My only complaint about the album is the closing track 'Nothing Happens for a Reason' doesn’t feel like a good closer for the album and to me it could’ve been placed anywhere, the track before it 'Uncomfortably Numb' might have been a more fitting finale with the band jamming away to bring the album to a close. I recommend this album for anyone who likes pop punk and it’s a good introduction to Pop Punk for anyone that likes metal.

first review

October 6th 2012

Dude this turned out great man!! Pos'd

Digging: Somos - Temple of Plenty

October 6th 2012

Pissed off that Nichol's vocals took a back seat, album is kind of bland at points.

October 6th 2012

One small thing, In the 2nd sentence of the last paragraph the word "while" should be after The word sound. let me know
if u don't know how to edit the review

DarkSideOfLucca

Fuck yeah Viral! Obviously pos'd, great review bro

thanks lucca

Also damn a 4.5? Guess I need to spin this again

Calc
October 6th 2012

You guys should try Love, Robot if this is indeed a female/male singing combo

Will do calc

PistolPete
October 7th 2012

nice first review, so you do do stuff besides play/discuss pkmn!

Digging: Jolly - The Audio Guide to Happiness (Part 1)

Indeed I do

October 7th 2012

hmm so this is like pop-punk. will check this out.

and good review posd man.

Digging: Xanthochroid - Blessed He With Boils

October 7th 2012

yeah drifter rules holy shit.

October 7th 2012

Thanks man and yea let me know how u like it

October 7th 2012

"Feeling burnt out from playing only metal for 6 years they decided to go back to their passion and released their first effort Until We Surrender with epitaph records"

capitalize Epitaph Records

"The first track shows this off and also shows off the bands more cohesive writing skills especially with Murray’s guitar work pulling off some technicality that wasn’t shown on the debut, using Metal melodies while making it still feel like pop punk is damn impressive."

dont capitalize metal

"The first minute of 'Race to the Bottom'shows this off nicely and a shredding guitar solo in a Pop Punk song is always very satisfying."

dont capitalize pop punk

wait theres moar

Digging: Architects - Lost Forever // Lost Together

October 7th 2012

"Nichols vocal work is something that really shines on this album with tracks like 'Echo' and 'You Are Not Your Body' she takes center stage and brings a lot of passion in her voice while also sounding like she’s having the time of her life singing the lyrics “I'm drinking less in case I need to drive. You're drinking more to drown the hell that is this time, But you don't need that s***” "

so this is one sentence.... uhh yeah clean that up

October 7th 2012

haha damn chucks going at it. yeah im no good with being more critic like lmao

Cool thanks chuck haha

October 7th 2012

"I recommend this album for anyone who likes Pop Punk and it’s a good introduction to Pop Punk for anyone that likes Metal."

again, dont capitalize genre titles

and lastly, make use of BBcode. What I normally do is use bold for song titles, and italics for the album title

other wise good review, short and concise

October 7th 2012

I didn't even notice things like pop punk being capitalized lol no worries those are minor mistakes