Fuzzy Duck
Fuzzy Duck

by Antonius USER (24 Reviews)
October 6th, 2012 | 35 replies | 1,712 views

Release Date: 1971 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Early 70s British Prog-rock at its best

Fuzzy Duck. A cool name and an even cooler album cover (if you consider this was done 40 years ago). Unfortunately, this is another band out of the many of the era that released just a single album and then disappeared from the scene. Relying heavily on the sound of the Hammond organ, their self-titled album had all the elements to please the lovers of the genre, thus representing worthily the British prog rock scene of the 70s. Mick Hawksworth (bass) and co. disbanded just 18 months after forming the band leaving some of us wondering why this highly-potential band didn’t stand the test of time.

Generally speaking, this is an album full of groovy parts and energetic tempo changes. You can sense this as soon as the inaugural notes of ‘’Time Will Be Your Doctor’’ get to your ears. As it unfolds you understand that this one is in the elite of the good songs of the album. From a technical perspective I think ‘’Mrs. Prout’’ is one of the highlights over here. The way the band converts from a jazzy rhythmic section to a progressive one is amazing. What makes it special is the instrumental pandemonium that starts half-way through the song and continues with some magnificent jamming from everyone’s part.

‘’More Than I Am’’ was the song I distinguished most during my first listening of the album. A cool guitar riff, an extremely catchy organ melody and a memorable chorus are the easiest things for someone to point out. Clearly it could be the optimal choice for a single. ‘’Country Boy’’ is a decent, melodic and rhythmic song in here. What makes it more interesting though is that sudden cut of the groove and the slow tempo that the song falls into afterwards, a characteristic that Jimmy Page used a lot in Zep’s songs. Then the song builds up speed and before you realize it you are back again following the opening melody but this time with some bad-ass organ solo accompanying. Pure excellence.

In terms of the average songs, ‘’Just Look Around’’ seemed to me that the only nice characteristic of it was the chorus, one of the catchiest in the whole album. In this category I would also include ‘’In Our Time’’ with that somehow-differential instrumental part and lastly ‘’Afternoon Out’’ which didn’t move me at all. The band chooses to close the album with an instrumental called ‘’A Word from Big D’’, and what an innovative and rare way they have chosen to do it: a prolific jamming with the sounds/effects of a duck accompanying the music just to add to the whole ‘’duck’’ theme.

Royal Blood Out of the BlackRadio Moscow Radio Moscow
Boston Life, Love & HopeThe Temperance Movement The Temperance Movement
The Winery Dogs The Winery DogsDire Straits Communiqué

October 6th 2012

Fuck yes, major props for reviewing this. Album rules.

Digging: Benoit Pioulard - Hymnal Remixes

October 6th 2012

HELL YES! I've found the second one!

October 6th 2012

This album is really overlooked.

I have the reissue on vinyl. It's almost impossible to find an original.

October 6th 2012

nice one for reviewing this, heard it once but totally forgot about it.

'wandering' should be 'wondering'

but pos'd anyway for short, sweet review

Digging: Ian Anderson - Homo Erraticus

Crawl
October 6th 2012

i read fuzzy dick at first

Digging: The Menzingers - Rented World

Hahaha

insomniac15
October 6th 2012

Good review man. Pos. There are so many bands from the 70s that just vanished after releasing one good album. I found out a few months ago one big list on RYM with 70s rather unknown prog,hard rock and psychedelic bands and I'm still checking records off it. I have to Fuzzy Duck out.

Digging: Amplifier - Echo Street

October 7th 2012

Thanks bro. That's the kind of music I've been enjoying the last period. The quality you find in such albums is incredible. I'll continue reviewing this kind of albums so stay close if you like.

October 7th 2012

I'll certainly be keeping a close eye on your reviews if you're gonna continue reviewing this sort of stuff.

October 7th 2012

lol me too, site needs more old prog reviewed for sure

October 7th 2012

Cheers guys. I think you should also check my other 2 prog reviews, Captain Beyond and Blackfeather. Excellent material in those as well!

October 7th 2012

Gonna check that Blackfeather album for sure.

October 7th 2012

I'll be waiting for your comments bro

October 7th 2012

if u go and review a Brand New album after your promises im gonna neg the hell out of you lol

October 7th 2012

hahaha don't worry. Just spotted my next album already!

manosg
April 20th 2013

Amazing album, props for reviewing such stuff, pos. It makes you wonder how many great albums have been gone unnoticed because the bands didn't have what it take to last the test of time.

Digging: Jan Akkerman - Tabernakel

April 20th 2013

If JamieTwort and manosg like it then it must be good :]

Digging: Somos - Temple of Plenty

manosg
April 20th 2013

hehe, thanks dude. It's a great specimen of hard rock. There's the full album on YT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LZFm82OgTk

April 20th 2013

nice and you even tagged it smart man will check!

April 25th 2013

proggin hard. also band name/artwork is awesome.