Ramona Falls
Prophet

by MrHorrible USER (1 Reviews)
October 5th, 2012 | 6 replies | 933 views

Review Summary: Prophet is an impressive sophomore effort from Portland's Ramona Falls.

When some of his songs weren’t catching on with the (then) triune band Menomena, Brent Knopf created Ramona Falls, eventually resulting in 2009’s Intuit, an album he recorded in dozens of locations with dozens of musicians. Two years and one Menomena album later, he decided to quit that band and make the side project his primary focus. For the second Ramona Falls album, he whittled down his collaborators to a more traditional four-piece and just a few guest spots.

Staccato keys and a straight ahead beat open Prophet but soon give way to a more lush guitar and synth arrangement with a breakbeat and double-timed hi-hat, setting the tone for the rest of the album: a little violin flourish here, a little flute run there, Knopf ironically or not singing, “I have to, have to, have to let go of total control.”

The first line of “Archimedes Plutonium;” the sugariest pop tune on the record, is “What I’d give if you feel my love,” so no doubt some will find it overly cloying, while the rest of us shrug so what because the song sounds great, just catchy as hell. The dissonance of his former band--and even Inuit tracks like “I Say Fever” and “Always Right”--has certainly been reined in, but Prophet is not all easy pop hooks. The eerie tension of Knopf’s piano remains, beginning “Sqworm” and “Brevony” before distorted guitar riffs turn them into solid rock jams. The chorus of “The Space Between Lightning and Thunder” takes an unexpected turn the second time around with ascending major chords, a point at which I wish he had milked the minor-key hook a little longer before throwing the curve, instead of the immediate back and forth pattern he establishes.

One quibble is the restraint in Knopf’s singing. The melodies are strong, but they beg for the vocal fervor he’s used to great effect in previous songs like Menomena’s “Rose” and "The Monkey's Back." Also missing are distinctive bass lines, one of the core strengths he left behind with Justin Harris of Menomena. Still, these are minor issues on an album with plenty of other enjoyable aspects.

3.3

October 4th 2012

he was always my least favorite member of menomena, but i need to check this out regardless

Digging: Arthur Russell - World of Echo

October 4th 2012

this is really good so far

MrHorrible
October 5th 2012

I never had a favorite or least favorite member because their instrumentation and overall musical sensibilities fit so well together, and they were each responsible for great songs. Danny Seim has the fewest of my favorite songs, but he’s an unbelievable drummer, provides great backing vocals, and he’s hilarious in interviews and blogs he’s written as the band’s mouthpiece.

Anyway, Rose, Monkey’s Back, Wet and Rusting, and Killemall (especially the first three), were definitely among their better songs, imo, so I don’t think Knopf was any kind of weak link. I was very much bummed to hear about their friction and his departure.

October 5th 2012

agreed, i don't think he was a weak link, but i mostly prefer justin and danny's songs. they make great music with or without brent. this album's really good as well. gonna check out intuit too.

October 5th 2012

proof is easily one of the best songs of the year

March 4th 2013