Flogging Molly
Swagger

by Aaron Arneson CONTRIBUTOR (109 Reviews)
October 4th, 2012 | 114 replies

Release Date: 2000 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The story of Flogging Molly.

The story of Flogging Molly is an interesting one indeed. Before reaching the level of success they are at today, they once were just a struggling, hard working band who played shows at bars in hopes of recognition. One of these pubs was called Molly Malone’s. Located in LA, the bar was the starting point for the band and as you may have guessed, it’s where they got their name.

We used to play there every Monday night and we felt like we were flogging it to death, so we called the band Flogging Molly. -Dave King

After playing at Malone’s on a regular basis and gaining quite the following, the band finally put out a live album entitled Alive Behind The Green Door in 1997. Although they wouldn’t release their debut album Swagger until 2000, their live album was extremely influential. The reason being that several of the songs on the debut were actually from “Alive Behind The Green Door.” In fact, the live album even contained songs that made it on the band's second LP Drunken Lullabies. It was only the beginning of Flogging Molly's impressive career.

Bringing his heavy Irish accent with him, vocalist Dave King is the driving force behind the seven-piece band. His voice has a very raw and unique sound to it and although it may be an acquired taste, it compliments the band’s sound perfectly and it's sure to please fans of The Dropkick Murphy's. What’s most enjoyable on Swagger however isn’t just King’s gruff voice, but the wide array of instruments. King’s now wife and longtime band mate Bridget Regan plays instruments like the tin whistle and the fiddle which helps add depth to the songs. The sounds of accordions, mandolins and many other musical tools are glittered throughout the songs as well which really add to the listening experience.

Packed into the album are twelve songs full of Celtic influences and a genuinely raw punk vibe. ‘The Devils Dance Floor’ is a fan favorite and it’s not hard to see why. Fueled by the tin whistle and god knows what else (remember there are a ton of instruments) the song’s in your face attitude and catchy chorus make you want to get off you ass and do an Irish style dance. Other songs, like the stellar opener ‘Salty Dog’ share this same feeling. To balance out this aggression we are also given some softer tracks such as ‘The Worst Day Since Yesterday’. It is a ballad full of the accordion and a much softer vocal approach by King. Whether the band is knocking it out of the park with their upbeat numbers or slowing things down, all the songs are very well executed and showcase strong musicianship.

Flogging Molly have come an awful long way since laying down their blood, sweat and tears at Molly Malone’s all those years ago. They’ve done countless Warped Tour shows, toured extensively, and gained a large fan base due to their energetic live shows and handful of successful albums. Swagger is the product of all the band’s hard work. Few musicians are able to mix such influences as celtic, punk, or folk so flawlessly. The variety of instruments accompanied by King’s demanding voice make the album an energetic and dynamic experience.

The Residents EskimoTrvth Approaching
Agalloch The Serpent and the SphereThe Byrds Mr. Tambourine Man
Somos Temple of PlentyFireworks Oh, Common Life
Will C. (4.5)
A force stronger than anyone could've imagined, breaking into the walls of the music industry. Funny...

clite2 (4.5)

Rudd13 (4.5)

breakingthefragile
October 4th 2012

Dude, I don't think I've ever told you, but you write some damn good reviews man.

Digging: Cathedrals - Cathedrals EP

19743 Comments

Heh thanks man had some writers block on this one so that means a lot ;)

Digging: Spectral Lore - III

Best album ever agreed.

STOP SHOUTING!
October 4th 2012

have you heard the pogues?

19743 Comments

@Stop shouting, I've heard of them but no I haven't heard them pretty good?

@andcas, I prefer Flogging Molly slightly over Dropkick but I love them both.

October 4th 2012

Dropkick are great, but no celtic punk beats the Flog Mol.

19743 Comments

Agreed I hope they come back though. I was pretty disappointed with their last album

October 4th 2012

MORE AND MORE AND MORE ON THE DEVIL'S DANCE FLOOR!

October 4th 2012

Flogging Molly, or: how to make a career out of constantly re-writing the same song.

WALK AWAY, ME BOYS, WALK AWAY, ME BOYS

October 4th 2012

Bro, your umm...your AC/DC avatar is showing.

October 4th 2012

Somehow I knew that comment would come up, lol. But no, AC/DC have like three songs they reuse (the mid-tempo one, the fast one, and the one with the tapped lead riff). FM literally have THE SAME MELODY in at least three of the songs I've heard from them.

NO BALL OR CHAIN NO PRISON SHALL KEEP
WE'RE THE REBELS OF THE SACRED HEART!

19743 Comments

Flogging molly do not just keep writing the same song lol what are u smoking

October 4th 2012

He hasn't heard any Flogging Molly albums.

October 4th 2012

Maybe I haven't heard enough from them. But Rebels Of The Sacred Heart, Salty Dog, Devil's Dance Floor and What's Left Of The Flag are virtually identical.

19743 Comments

Lol until you've heard this album or drunken lullabies in their entirety you have no room to talk ;)

Listen to the song 'If I Ever Leave This World Alive' (much different than the songs you mentioned)

Brostep
October 4th 2012

Celtic punk is badass, end of story. Good review, will have to give this a listen.

19743 Comments

Thanks yeah I highly recommend it

Come on people wheres the love for flogging Molly?! ;(

XingKing
October 4th 2012

I have to say... I hate this band. Their music is headache inducing bad. BUT.. This review was awesome.

pos'd bro