Raventale
Transcendence

by pizzamachine USER (211 Reviews)
October 3rd, 2012 | 28 replies | 3,736 views

Review Summary: A well crafted but not particularly unique atmospheric black metal album.

Transcendence is an atmospheric black metal album that proves to be among Raventale’s best, and overall is a solid release. It isn’t particularly creative but it doesn’t need to be; Raventale are fine with where they are as a band, and they continue to issue predictable but decent releases. While the band aren’t exactly contributing new ideas to the genre with their (over ten minute) songs and repetitive melodies, Transcendence is nonetheless extremely well put together and enjoyable in its own right. For a $3.99 album, that’s a steal.

Immediately noticeable is the album’s crystal clear production, but that’s just the icing on this cake. Prepare for an earful of icy riffs that allow melodies to shine like crystals reflecting the sun. The guitar tone really is perfect, and while we’re talking about instruments, the drummer can certainly exercise double bass petals and blastbeats, although he’s not one for variation. Then again, variation is not a factor in this album. This album is focused on providing ceaselessly glorious melodies that bend and stir as songs go on. The repetition is not unlike ocean waves that continue to crash and foam against the shore, and it’s just as inviting. Clamorous for sure but just as soothing, Raventale certainly understand the “atmospheric” part in atmospheric black metal. That’s not even mentioning the strings which gel so well with the guitar’s melodies that they practically go unnoticed. You can tell that the band put a lot of effort into crafting something with as flew flaws as possible.

Truth be told, there is little to complain about. I would have personally liked to see some interesting guitar hooks thrown in the mixture, but that may have muddled the overall product. Transcendence is a safe, but very enjoyable album. It’s great background music for pretty much anything since it’s compelling and neither bores nor rubs off its welcome during the time allotted. Being a fairly average album does somewhat hinder its value, but if one only desires a solid piece of atmospheric black metal, Raventale’s latest should fit the bill.

Jeremy Soule Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion SoundtrackRa Critical Mass
Gemini Syndrome LuxSirenia Perils of the Deep Blue
Rainbow (KR) Rainbow Syndrome Part. 2Part Myth Part Legend Almagest Codex
recommended by reviewer
Geist Galeere

200!!!!!! Congrats

Digging: More Than Life - What's Left Of Me

October 3rd 2012

Thanks man! I'm finally back in the game. : )

Oh and here's the album stream: http://raventale.bandcamp.com/album/transcendence

Congrats on 200

finally

October 3rd 2012

I also humbly request a review of the album i'm digging cause it rules

October 3rd 2012

Which one would that be?

Ethics

cinaedus

a machine of pizza

Violinist
October 3rd 2012

Ok serious question - do you (any 'you') really LIKE the vocals? I am digging the songs, but the vocals are just so completely at odds with the melodic nature of the music... Is it adding something extra for you? To me it's like looking at a great painting and having the artist come up and smear mud on it.

For what it's worth I can get into the screams on the 2nd track a lot easier than the mumbling growls on the first track.

October 3rd 2012

I like the vocals, they add a bitter-sweet or grim factor to the music that I dig. Do you listen to
much music like this?

Metalstyles
October 4th 2012

Congrats on 200 pizza! This seems solid enough, so if I have the time I may check this out. Been busy lately though, so no promises.

Digging: Metsatoll - Karjajuht

FrozenVain
October 4th 2012

I will listen to this...seems pretty cool.

Congrats on 200 reviews aswell.

Coketrain
October 4th 2012

Kinda like this. It's a bit generic but good nonetheless, reminds me of a less kvlt 'Walknut', which I totally love :D. Not sure on rating yet, probably a 3/3.5. Room Winter is epic.

Violinist
October 4th 2012

@Pizzamachine - I've checked out a lot of similar bands because I like the music, but generally I can't get past the vocals. Maybe I just need to pull the trigger on a couple discs and throw them on repeat lol.

October 5th 2012

So, this is one of those unicorn dick in the ass albums ehh?

Coketrain
October 5th 2012

Alright, gave this a 3 for now after 4th listen. Doesn't really grow yet. Not feeling really tempted to re-listen imo.

October 5th 2012

So, this is one of those unicorn dick in the ass albums ehh?

That actually describes it pretty good lol

@Coketrain: Yup, a 3 will do eeeeet