Hand of Mercy
The Fallout

2.0
poor

by NeoSpaz USER (32 Reviews)
October 2nd, 2012 | 13 replies

Review Summary: Just another Aussie hardcore record.

Obnoxious. Breakdowns.

These two words shine very clear when listening to the debut from the Sydney-based hardcore group Hand of Mercy. Listening to this record is much like listening to a Parkway Drive CD. You get the breakdowns, you get the growls, the cleans, all the things that make these records so accessible to young teens.

Unlike their successful counterparts however, there isn't as many catchy hooks. Very simply put, this has very bland, generic lyrics.

"***!
All you stood for has turned to dust
As you walked away and turned your back on us
Our anger just turns to shame
I let you into my life and I've only got myself to blame"

This excerpt from the beginning of 'Sick for It' demonstrates this well. Whilst the lyrics obviously mean something to the band, they come across as overly angsty. Most of the songs on this album follow in this same vein, with profanities frequently being used, but not all of them do, which is thankful. For a debut, this is a good start, though it would be nice to see a few more of the songs follow in the vein of 'Ankles to the Wall', which for its generic song structure, has better lyrics than other songs on the album, simply because it feels less synthetic.

The good is outweighed by the bad quite heavily throughout this record. The screams are almost monotonous at times, and on some songs almost put you to sleep. This, coupled with the bland cleans makes some songs almost un-listenable. The band on most of the songs is rehashing ideas that have been in action for years already. Nothing new is really being brought to the table, and this is not only annoying but frustrating because sometimes the band shows that they have potential to be a new player in the Australian hardcore scene.

For such a young group, this could be a way out of their teenage-esque writing style. A way to move their followers on to a more thought out, developed record. However, there is really not much to show for that here. The breakdowns make this record monotonous, and show that this band is definitely another one of the Australian live bands. Most of the music sounds like it has been written to play live, which is just fine, except for the fact that it is boring on record.

Arrows Try And Stay UprightArrows Modern Art & Politics
Arrows Don't Write PoetryMiles Away Endless Roads
The Black Dahlia Murder EverblackDark New Day Hail Mary

October 2nd 2012

Fun note: I hate this band.

Lol at track names

Digging: Spectral Lore - III

October 2nd 2012

They aren't too bad by Aussie hardcore standards. Usually they go something like; You bitch, you broke my stereo, my guitar and my heart, and this is the song I wrote making up for these feelings.

Haha have a pos man.

What's the best song if I asana check them out?

October 2nd 2012

Ankles to the Wall is the only one I'd suggest. It sums up the album, and isn't AS boring as the others.

Alright man

October 3rd 2012

The votes on this stun me. Way too high. Then again, in Australia, we worship mediocrity in music!

lecolumbus
October 6th 2012

"For such a young group, this could be a way out of their teenage-esque writing style. A way to move their followers on to a more thought out, developed record."
lol, that didn't happen. Pos'd, even though I personally disagree.

October 6th 2012

Yeaaaah, if it did I would be surprised. Honestly, if they did some more different stuff on this record, I'd be more impressed, but it feels like Parkway Drive B-sides with some random cleans

February 19th 2013

Ankles to the Wall is literally the only track I can listen to multiple times on here, damn

February 19th 2013

Goddamn double posted, fucking hell.

Oh well, this album is average, but at the same not horrible

Ecksavie
August 13th 2013

To be honest, this is so shit that it's good. Claim to Lame is a great excuse to punch your friends.

August 18th 2013