Nas
God's Son

by thecreative0ne USER (50 Reviews)
September 30th, 2012 | 29 replies | 1,437 views

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Review Summary: One of the best Nas albums, which has Nas finding religion, which was a good choice.

Critical Responses:
Q: 4/5
Rolling Stone: 3/5
Spin: 6/10
Stylus Magazine: B+

At the time of this album, Nas is at one of the best he has ever been. Although it isn't better than, Untitled, The Lost Tapes, Stillmatic, It Was Written, and of course not better than Illmatic (there's the Illmatic reference that is in every Nas review), this album is still a classic. Around the time of this album, Nas had speculated that he was going to work with Murder Inc, thankfully he didn't though. With this album, Nas proved that at the time, he was still a hip hop kingpin (and he still is a hip hop kingpin now). Now for the track by track review.

1. Get Down: A classic song, and an excellent way to start the album. This song is one of the best that he has ever done. This song has a funk induced instrumental, and you can tell that it is on the first listen. With this song, Nas proves that he has a large amount of storytelling skills, over an amazing beat. This song has been sampled in songs such as New York by Jay-Z and other songs as well. 5/5

2. The Cross: A classic song, which has Eminem providing the production, who does an excellent job at it, and provides a simple, but amazing beat, and shows that he is infuenced by Dr Dre in terms of production. 5/5

3. Made You Look: A classic song, which is one of the more popular Nas songs, but at the same time also one of the best Nas songs. 5/5

4. Last Real N**** Alive: A classic song, where Nas claims himself to be the last real MC alive, and talks about how he had beef with Notorious B.I.G, how he had beef with Jay-Z, and other beefs he has had. This song has been sampled in songs such as Last Real N**** Alive by Kendrick Lamar and other songs. 5/5

5. Zone Out: An average song, featuring the horrible Bravehearts. This song is about doing drugs. 3/5

6. Hey Nas: An average song. 3/5

7. I Can: A good that guides kids, and tells them to be what they want to be. This song has been sampled in songs such as I Can by MF Doom, and other songs. 4/5

8. Book Of Rhymes: A classic song, which has Nas going through the rhymes he wrote, and him not liking each one until the last one. 5/5

9. Thugz Mansion (NY): This song is classic, and features 2Pac, which is of course a posthumous but excellent verse.

10. Mastermind: An average song. 3/5

11. Warrior Song: A classic song, that features Alicia Keys who does an excellent job. 5/5

12. Revolutionary Warfare: A classic song, and one of the best Nas songs ever made, with an amazing beat (by The Alchemist) that words can't describe how good it is. 5/5

13. Dance: A classic song, and one of the best Nas songs ever made. This song is dedicated to his mother since she died. 5/5

14. Heaven: A perfect ending to a near perfect album. 5/5

Pros:
Lyricism
Production

Cons:
A few weaker tracks
No DJ Premier or Large Professor

Overall I give this a 4.5/5, 9/10, 90/100, and my grade for it is an "A".

3 Best Songs: