Divided by Friday
Prove It

by Atari CONTRIBUTOR (110 Reviews)
September 28th, 2012 | 26 replies

Review Summary: A trip down memory lane.

When listening to Divided By Friday it's obvious the band isn't trying anything new. If their debut EP Prove It does in fact prove anything, it's that the band knows how to conjure up a nostalgic record. Their biggest influence is obviously Fall Out Boy. The two bands sound eerily similar, not just in the vocal department but also the guitars and drums. There are literally times when I forgot I was listening to Divided By Friday because its sound is so reminiscent of Take This To Your Grave. Obviously if you're not a Fall Out Boy fan, this record will likely do nothing for you. Otherwise, this EP is an enjoyable and worthy trip down memory lane.

The album gets off to a great start with the bouncy title track, which perhaps sounds more like Take This To Your Grave than any of the other songs. The band's vocalist is above average for the genre, but doesn't quite reach the heights of Patrick Stump or Brendon Urie. Still, he gets the job done and proves he can hit the high notes in tunes like 'The Dark Passenger' and 'Closer'. Both songs highlight some of the EP's best vocals. Thankfully, guest vocals by Jenna McDougall on 'Face to Face' help to add diversity to the album, keeping it from feeling too redundant. She is the star of Tonight Alive, who released the impressive What Are You So Scared Of? last October. The back and forth singing of both vocalists makes it a heavenly track, definitely one worth checking out.

There's really not much else to be said about Divided By Friday's EP, Prove It. The band certainly lacks originality, but at least they are able to craft nostalgic and catchy pop punk. I mean, isn't that enough sometimes? Who doesn't want to re-live albums as great as Take This To Your Grave? Look no further. Many bands have attempted to imitate Patrick Stump's sound, but none of them have pulled it off quite like this. From the vocals and lyrics to the upbeat guitars, the record is one thing and one thing only. Pure Nostalgia.

New Found Glory ResurrectionThe Residents Eskimo
Trvth ApproachingAgalloch The Serpent and the Sphere
The Byrds Mr. Tambourine ManSomos Temple of Plenty

20072 Comments

Just a short lil review for a pop punk ep that only has 2 ratings.

If you like fall out boy, you will like this EP.

Digging: Circa Survive - Descensus

September 27th 2012

We're reviewing buddies at this point

Digging: Bobby Barnett - Little Wounds

20072 Comments

Haha yeah I guess we are.

Vespiion

Inb4 andcas

Digging: Azealia Banks - Broke With Expensive Taste

20072 Comments

I'm guessing this will get like 100 views total lol they seem to be relatively unknown around here.

September 27th 2012

I know it could go either way but I'd say "the band knows" not "the band know"...just reads better IMO

"The album gets of to a great start"

*off

*in the same sentence, the part where you say "which guitars" doesn't really make sense

"the bands vocalist"

*band's

Anyway now that the nagging grammar Nazi part is out of the way, great review. You should try out You, Me, And Everyone We Know if you like these guys

Digging: Damien Rice - My Favourite Faded Fantasy

September 27th 2012

Specifically, check out their album that I reviewed back in my regular user days "some things don't wash out"

20072 Comments

Thanks for the feedback Sowing. I can't believe I didn't catch the of when I proofread it. Apostrophes are one of my weak points, I'm working on it but I keep missing them somehow.

about You, Me, And Everyone We Know. I like them and I have that record but thanks anyways : )

20072 Comments

also @sowing fixed the mistakes.

Also took out the guitar part of that sentence so hopefully it makes sense now.

20072 Comments

Nice I love christmas music.

I'm assuming you've heard this EP then?

Also, did you just go to a concert man?

20072 Comments

whoah sweet, I have max payne 3 for ps3.

Calc
September 28th 2012

I hate males with perms. But I liked the songs I heard from this.

Digging: Mr. Oizo - The Church

20072 Comments

right on. haven't heard crystal castles though, i just think it's cool cause HEALTH did the soundtrack for max payne 3 lol.

20072 Comments

cool I don't listen to much electronica but i'll add them to my list.

KotoFtw
September 28th 2012

I think these guys are from around me somewhere.

edit: Now I remember. I had an English class with the singer's girlfriend.

20072 Comments

@Calc, lol i haven't actually seen what the band members look like.

Calc

dont.

henryChinaski
September 28th 2012

Yeah these guys are good. Nice review.

@Koto: And where exactly is around you? :]

Digging: Pianos Become the Teeth - Keep You

20072 Comments

thanks henry I appreciate it.

I'm planning on going through all my music and reviewing anything that doesn't have a review so you'll be seeing a lot of me.

Poor divided by friday, still only 2 ratings : (