Deer Leap
Here. Home.

by Robert Lowe CONTRIBUTOR (90 Reviews)
September 27th, 2012 | 56 replies

Review Summary: One year after the split with The World Is a Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid To Die shocked the emo world, Deer Leap are back and bigger than ever with their first full length album Here. Home.

Deer Leap are certainly a band that came out of nowhere, rising to prominence after releasing a split with an already well established band The World Is a Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid To Die , and before that they had only released an instrumental demo. Less than a year after said split, Deer Leap has dropped their first full length album, Here. Home. and are ready to stand the test of not having a bigger band to fall back on, they're all on their own here and Here. Home. perfectly demonstrates the New Hampshire three piece's compressed and short post-rock sound and emotional atmospheric core and delivers on Deer Leap's potential to thrive on their own.

The most noticeable difference from the split to Here. Home. is that the vocals have majorly improved. While they were used sparingly on the split, here they sound more confident and are used to better effect. The vocalist has a very airy tone to his voice that helps build the atmosphere, and his new found confidence also allows for some astonishing big choruses like in the opener "Here," and the incredible "Walls Become The World All Around." The track "Home" has some subtle use of falsetto sitting in the back of the track that builds onto the already amazing atmosphere. "Walls Become The World All Around" is clearly the best track on the album, having everything that could be desired in a indie/post-rock song. Its catchy sing along vocals along with its ambience is a combination that is unmatched and demonstrates the band at their very best.

The full sound Deer Leap are able to achieve as a three piece is very impressive, especially in their ability to craft large sounding choruses and songs that are simultaneously catchy and atmospheric. Here. Home. is not without its faults however, it's a bit top heavy and rather short at 28 and a half minutes over the course of nine songs and it feels a bit rushed coming out a mere year after the split. The real meat of the album is the first half where all of the stand out tracks reside, the second half is more of a atmospheric, post-rock affair which is still good, but has been done better by other bands in the genre. Here. Home. is still an impressive debut from a band that once served only as a teaser for The World Is a Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid To Die; and with its medley of superb indie and post-rock tendencies, Here. Home. proves Deer Leap can stand on their own, are on the top of their game, and are a band worth noticing that will surely surprise a lot of people in the near future.

Tiny Moving Parts Pleasant LivingPrawn Kingfisher
Empire! Empire! (I Was a Lonely Estate) You Will Eventually Be ForgottenKyary Pamyu Pamyu Pikapika Fantajin
Brave Bird T-Minus Grand GestureOld Gray/Tiny Moving Parts Split

September 27th 2012

Highly recommended for fans of indie or post-rock, definitely one of the best albums of the year and the split they did last year is my AOTY from last year
Check out the best track if you're unsure

September 27th 2012

this is on my list to check

Digging: Impetuous Ritual - Unholy Congregation of Hypocritical Ambivalence

19918 Comments

damn another good review dude.

Digging: Transit - Joyride

I wrote this in 15 minutes this morning
Probably took me longer to revise

Hehe nice. I pos'd.

SgtPepper
September 27th 2012

You've been writing a lot lately. It's nice to see it actually because youre a very good writer. POS'd.

camaraderie
September 27th 2012

I've been told that this is a good band numerous times. Haven't checked them out yet

Tyrael

20899 Comments

Give this man a promotion already

19918 Comments

@Paperback/Tyraelxy, I've been reviewing a lot too guys!!!

mindleviticus
September 27th 2012

yeah i really like this as well

minty901

2067 Comments

i fucking love free albums.

so there's pretty much a sphere of bands that use indie post rock with a tinge of emo.

athletics; gates; deer leap; the cast before the break.

any other bands in this little scene that people can recommend? this is good: http://highvibesrecordings.bandcamp.com/album/when-men-were-made-of-iron

minty901

2067 Comments

add to that the appleseed cast, youth pictures of florence henderson. and a bunnys caravan.

RosaParks

AWESOME ALBUM EVERYONE CHECK IT OUT

Bloodhail
September 27th 2012

goddamn emo shit emo is a motherfucking gang

JackSparrow
September 27th 2012

Deer Leap fucking rules, another great review

19918 Comments

Trebor when are you gonna write a 5/5 review?

Those are the most fun to write.

September 27th 2012

@Bloodhail: IT'S NOT ME IT'S YOU!!!
Umm my next next Larry Arms review will be a 5, gonna be hard as fuck to write

19918 Comments

Nice. Although I think 5 reviews are easier to write because all you have to do is give the album praise, you don't have to explain what's not good about it.

Xenophanes
September 27th 2012

Solid review man. Keep it coming, you improve with each reviw.

I liked this but its probably closer to a 3.5 for me. Also, that summary reads a little weirdly.

Digging: Kayo Dot - Coffins On Io