Betzefer
Freedom To The Slave Makers

by Shachar Sagui USER (26 Reviews)
September 25th, 2012 | 24 replies

Review Summary: Israeli Metal at its best - Groovy fun and catchy.

The first time I heard Betzefer was a year and a half ago, when they warmed up Megadeth in their 25th year Peace Sells anniversary tour. It was, if I recall correctly, their (Megadeth) first show in 5 years in Israel, so me and my friend (we were both thirteen years old) were really excited about it. When we arrived at the Exhibition Grounds, surprisingly, there were more Betzefer fans than Megadeth fans; they are apparently extremely popular over here. Betzefer honored us with a hell of a warm-up, and the incredible amount of groovy fun generated at their show was a great build up to the uber Thrash legends.
I'll save any additional details from this night to a Megadeth review, but I have to admit that I have really enjoyed Betzefer's gig.
Unfortunately, I was a bit musically retarded back then, as I can also clearly remember the next embarrassing words coming out of my mouth - "Why didn’t Megadeth play any of the stuff from Cryptic Writings?"
Happily, I can now assure you, with my slightly less retarded taste of music, that Betzefer is a great Groove Metal band, and that their latest album, Freedom To The Slave Makers, is a quite enjoyable purchase, with many great moments.

The album starts with what that in my opinion is the weakest track in the album. The vocals are very bad and the music can't pick it up. If you get through it, though, the next track, Backstage Blue is as cool and groovy as its title, and is one of the best tracks off the album. From then on, the album doesn't really change. There are some highlights like the epic live piece Doomsday and the slow Perfect Lie, but also some let-downs like Best Seller, which I've already mentioned.
The album isn’t very complicated musically, but its simplicity is loveable. The vocals are pretty good, especially for an Israeli singer, and the production is great.

Betzefer is one of the most known acts in the Israeli Metal scene, and one of the best in it. However, it does not make them as amazing as you might think it would, seeing as Israeli music isn’t that good. It does make them great, though, and Freedom To The Slave Makers is a catchy and fun record, it is probably up there in my favorite Groove Metal of all-time.
In an additional note, Betzefer is amazingly fun live; I recommend you to go to one of their concerts the next time you'll find yourself in Israel.

Freedom To The Slave Makers was released in February 18, 2011. The record label is AFM and it is 39:29 minutes long.

Personnel:

The High Windows The High WindowsSortilege Métamorphose
Camel I Can See Your House from HereDeath Individual Thought Patterns
good

September 25th 2012

If anyone is looking for tracks to listen to, than I would rec Doomsday and Empty Magazine.
Writing this was pretty tough, actually.

20158 Comments

Damn viper, you're only 15?

Digging: Johann Sebastian Bach - Brandenburg Concerto No. 5 in D major, BWV 1050

And a half.

20158 Comments

Crazy when I was your age all I listened to was pop punk. I'll read this when I get to work.

September 25th 2012

Haha, yea, I jammed LP and Green day all the time when I was 13 yo. Maybe some Metallica or Megadeth here and there but thats it. Started listening to true music after the spoken show, I dl'd Megadeth's first albums and I was amazed.

September 25th 2012

"Damn viper, you're only 15?"

most of the users on sput are around that age

I'm old as shit

Not the cool ones. :P

20158 Comments

"I was a bit of a musically retarded back then"

Take out the "of a" part.

September 25th 2012

yea most of the youngees aren't that koo

how old r u atari?

I'm 27

lol, so am I

September 25th 2012

bro me you and ford are the same age

20158 Comments

Really? haha funny. yeah Ford seems pretty cool.

yea he's a koo dude

September 25th 2012

also, pos on the review bro

20158 Comments

yeah have a pos I was busy earlier and forgot to pos this.

September 26th 2012

Thanks both, check it out if you got the time.

K I will. Also 'song for the alcoholic' is a cool song name lol

September 26th 2012

yup bro, bookmarked, will check when i get some tizzle