Sudatsuga
Syzygy

by Hernan M. Campbell STAFF
September 25th, 2012 | 19 replies

Review Summary: Simple and instant. This is Sudatsuga's most accessible release to date.

Sudatsuga's latest effort, Syzygy, is an artistic expansion upon the musical direction of its distant predecessor, Blue Moon Saiyeed. Sudatsuga's music has often varied in sound, embracing several genres such as raga, folk, and droning ambiences to exude an ominous atmosphere that could be either trancing or discordant, depending on the aspiration of the mood. Needless to say, Sudatsuga's previous efforts have often been rather esoteric in nature, as their experimental and obscure directions have often served as an enigma for the listener to ponder upon and steadily comprehend with each listen. Syzygy, on the other hand, is much more accessible. It features different incarnations of selected songs from Blue Moon Saiyeed, completely acoustic and bare of any other kind of ornaments. Perhaps it's the simplicity of the music or the more conventional approach to its compositions, but Syzygy is certainly Sudatsuga's most instantly impressionable release to date.

We open with "Remnant Blue", which immediately introduces the prominent musical style of Syzygy. It's driven by a lively but catchy mandolin arrangement, with percussion bells jangling in the background which together help exude a very conspicuous 1960's folk sound. Graham Reich's singing is also another notable change in the music, he's much more confident and melodic than in his previous efforts. Giving the sound of the EP a rather optimistic tone, thus making it all the more alluring for the listener. The subsequent tracks continue along on this direction, and there lies the one and only flaw of Syzygy. Because it relies heavily on solely one musical routine, all of the songs are orchestrated with an identical structure and aesthetic, giving off the illusion of repetition as the EP continues along its course. "Haleuwae" is one of the few non-instrumental songs whose mandolin playing isn't driven by elevated strumming. This piece is much more mellow and has a relatively delicate rhythm. It's certainly all the more intriguing because of its variance in sound.

The instrumental section that comprises the latter portion of the EP contains some of the major highlights of Syzygy. The Celtic inspired, "Ritual Lust", is perhaps the focal point of the entire performance. It has a very diverse instrumental landscape as we really get to see Graham Reich venturing along the melody of the song, indulging us with some enticing, yet exploratory mandolin solos. This piece, like the other instrumental numbers, relies more on musical adroitness to really captivate the listener. It's a very jubilant song and its displays of dexterity helps impress the listener more and more during its progression. In the end, Syzygy, really proves itself to be a very entertaining release. It's a very typical folk sound with some medieval-esque leanings. As I said before, the only drawback is the minimalism found in the orchestral approach of the EP. With the only noticeable variance being the rhythmic pace that alternates in certain songs, with the music evolving from mellow in some pieces while others are much more agile. It's interesting to see these some songs under a new light than that portrayed in Blue Moon Saiyeed, which Graham Reich has commented that Syzygy exhibits his initial vision for these songs. This EP is definitely one for any admirers of folk music, especially those who prefer the traditional approach to the genre, particularly a style reminiscent to that of the 1960's.

Trioscapes Digital Dream SequenceBroken Bells After The Disco
Sound and Fury (FI) PulsacionJail Weddings Meltdown: A Declaration of Unpopular Emotion
Chick Corea The VigilPond (AUS) Hobo Rocket
3.1
good

Hain-Ba Sun Hex

September 25th 2012

If any other users have recorded an album/EP that they'd like me to review, feel free to leave a comment on my profile page

with a link to the music. I'd be happy to do so.Anything to help support sputnik musicians.

Graveyard
September 25th 2012

potsy and i are doing a split soon

stay tuned....

Digging: Prurient - Frozen Niagara Falls

breakingthefragile
September 25th 2012

Awesome review as always Hernan. It's really great that you always review stuff like this, stuff that really needs a review. Have a pos good sir.

Digging: Young Troubled Minds - One Big Session

September 25th 2012

"This is Sudatsuga's most accessible release to date."

Funny because I liked it a lot less than the other two.

September 25th 2012

"This is Sudatsuga's most accessible release to date."

Funny because I liked it a lot less than the other two.

I meant "accessible" as in universal as in anyone could get into this. The drone/ambient style of the other albums is certainly an acquired taste. Though I liked Blue Moon, but then again, I dig that style of music.

only correction i have for u is the couple times you mention *guitar*

its all mandolin!

I swear I hear a guitar sound in the each song. But I'll change it.

September 25th 2012

Also for the record Silent, I think Blue Moon Saiyeed is your best yet. This is one is pretty instant since just a folk album, but I really liked the style of Blue Moon, as I mentioned when you first uploaded it.

September 25th 2012

I like your reviews, Michael. Your Muse review for example was excellent I actually showed it to some of my friends that like Muse. The opening sentence about Bellamy was priceless.

September 25th 2012

I've read a few of your stuff, both the serious ones like the ones you've written for media snobs and youre funny ones like your current Muse review, and I have to say you are a pretty good writer. I enjoy your stuff.,

September 25th 2012

i love how u rate ur own stuff silent tehehee n/

Evreaia
September 25th 2012

Good stuff this is, still surprised as I thought silent was joking when he first mentioned this band.

Digging: Yersinia - Pafageltronen

menawati
September 25th 2012

Quite liked it on first listen, may throw on a few dollars for the bandcamp download.
Pos'd review.

rating your own album doesn't matter to me as long as it's not above a 4/5

mindleviticus
September 25th 2012

YOU ARE HORRIBLE FOR RATING YOUR OWN ALBUM. YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED BECAUSE RATING YOUR OWN ALBUM IS A CRIME. HATE, DON'T RATE, KIDS.

;p Who cares if you rated your own album? It's not like it's the end of the world. Hell, if you like your own work then give it something to commemorate it by.

evilford
September 25th 2012

don't like no knots in my panties

Digging: Znowhite - Act Of God

mindleviticus
September 25th 2012

No need to have your jimmies rustled

Aids
September 25th 2012

i kinda do :/ (at the panties in a knot thing idk)

Digging: Hop Along - Painted Shut

September 25th 2012

I dunno, in my experience a 3.5 rating isn't really flattering. I used to give those out like nothing...

evilford

dem junz

Aids
September 26th 2012

"pass the blunt not the front"

omg i'm stealing this