Green Day
¡UNO!

good

by Alex Beebe USER (126 Reviews)
September 25th, 2012 | 27 replies | 4,010 views

Review Summary: A partially forgettable return to form, but one that shows Green Day are undeniable masters of their signature sound, and are still able to play it better than the bands that take after them.

Whether you loved it or hated it, there’s no denying that Green Day’s previous two “rock opera” themed albums saved the trio’s career. The concept focused efforts of American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown showcased ambition on a grander scale, as opposed to releasing just another collection of songs using the tired punk formula. The infusion of accessible alternative rock into their neo-punk attitude re-ignited mainstream appeal in the band, and made them relevant once more in the rapid increase in popularity of post-hardcore/emo bands with polish-heavy production and emphasis on poppy melodies, that the early years of the new millennium saw.

Not to mention, the members of Green Day had aged into their 30‘s throughout the 2000‘s, and with their Dookie-era punk being a sound based on somewhat of a youthful energy, some more ambition incorporated into their approach did well to conceal their age and prevent it from effecting their music.

There really aren’t any big ideas behind Green Day’s latest effort ¡Uno! though, it being the first in a trilogy of albums aptly titled ¡Dos! and ¡Tré! is about as close to ambitious as the album gets. However, this is fitting, as this is a simple approach for very simplistic music. The music on ¡Uno!, and the music promised to be on the following two albums of the trilogy is Green Day’s return to punk rock being a dominating factor in both their sound and style.

The punk rock on ¡Uno! definitely isn’t anything remarkable. It’s a 42 minute non-stop barrage of basic and conventional punk rock that doesn’t put on the brakes until the arena-fitted album closing anthem “Oh Love”. There isn’t much variation and differentiation in song structure, which comes at the cost of stand-out, memorable tunes, and the riffs can start to blur together on a straight-listen though. On the other hand however, this frenetic pacing does result in the most relentless ride Green Day has offered in a while. One where the songs work better in the context of the album while caught up in its energy, rather than as stand alone tracks were they are more noticeably passive.

On past albums, namely Dookie, it has always been debated whether or not Green Day can properly be classified as pop punk, but up until ¡Uno!, the band has never fit the name more appropriately. ¡Uno!’s material is Green Day’s most polished and spry take on punk to date, so much so that “Oh Love”’s clap-steady beat can become reminiscent of a Weezer song. This may be slick, but because of it, Green Day fails to attain the franticness and recklessness that makes simplistic and straight-forward punk with a raw edge so great, and what in turn made the older material they’re returning to here work the best, though it can be debated how “raw” Green Day even were to begin with.

A return to this form doesn’t push Green Day’s sound forward into any new or exciting direction, but it does provide the band with an opportunity to show that they can still do what they became known for the best. Green Day proves with this album that age has not affected their craft in any way, and its impressive just how young and wildly Green Day performs on ¡Uno!. The band plays like they haven't aged a bit since their heyday in the early to late 90's. This is their most skilled and masterful rendition of the music basics that they know by heart, and shows that after all this time they still sound just as refined at their influential brand of punk as any of their modern contemporaries that were influenced by them.

¡Uno! doesn’t progress Green Day or pop punk in any direction at all, but it's an album that shows that Green Day still got it, that the burning fire of their passion and love for more frenzied hardcore punk hasn’t gone out due to age. While it has its obvious and expected flaws, it solidifies that they are still capable of performing familiar styles with as much finesse as before, and they still sound like they're having a hell of a lot of fun playing their music.

Les Claypool's Duo de Twang Four Foot ShackPeriphery Clear
Nickelback The Best of Nickelback Volume 1Eminem The Marshall Mathers LP 2
Active Child RaporJustin Timberlake The 20/20 Experience 2 of 2
2.4

MichaelSnoxall

We get it. This album is a 3/3.5

CAN WE AT LEAST HAVE A REVIEW WITH A DIFFERENT OPINION?

September 25th 2012

Yeah, yeah, I know. There's tons of other reviews of this album with the same rating
and perspective as mine. I still wanted to give my 2 cents on this album though.
Besides, this didn't have a contributor or staff review yet.

Digging: Glassjaw - Everything You Ever Wanted To Know...

September 25th 2012

Sweet, will read in the morn

Rev

see avatar

good review though, feel the same way

Raven is hot

September 25th 2012

"¡Uno! doesn’t progress Green Day or pop punk in any direction at all, but its an album that shows
that Green Day still got it, "

I swear if I had a quarter for every review of a pop punk album that was essentially this or some form
of it, I'd be fucking rich. ugh

September 25th 2012

Well, I think it applies in this case.

Spec

no time for faux punk

SgtPepper
September 25th 2012

I'm not going to check this out because I've never been Green Day fan, though I do really like "Brain Stew". But that's about it. Good review, Alex. Very well written.

blastOFFitsPARTYtime

get in there chipmunk.

where?

Ikarus14

"We get it. This album is a 3/3.5

CAN WE AT LEAST HAVE A REVIEW WITH A DIFFERENT OPINION?"

You know, I actually considered doing a 2.5 or a 2 review of this album just to balance the means. I really wasn't impressed by this album at all.

19453 Comments

do it

Digging: The Who - Tommy

ILJ
September 25th 2012

I pos'd your review, and you haven't really written a bad review from what I can tell, but I do have a small gripe. Your reviews seem a little bloated sometimes. Not in the sense that there's meaningless info or anything, you just take a little while to say what it is you're saying sometimes.

Nonetheless, pretty good review. Actually kind of made me want to listen to this.

Digging: Mastodon - Once More 'Round the Sun

September 25th 2012

Thank for the feedback ILJAJLM, and yeah, I've been trying to work on becoming more concise in my writing. I'm aware that my sentences still can be very overstuffed and can run-on, but at least it's a big improvement over some of my first reviews haha.

paxman
September 25th 2012

Yeah good review but the last two paragraphs are the same

YoYoMancuso
September 30th 2012

dunno how i missed this review. pos'd

September 30th 2012

Why thank you my good man. I appreciate it.

LarryArms