Muse
The 2nd Law

1.0
awful

by fish CONTRIBUTOR (44 Reviews)
September 24th, 2012 | 100 replies

Review Summary: They got worse

Let’s roll back the clock a few years. There was a time when Muse were regarded as musical experimentalists. Pioneers. They evolved their sound from album to album and each time smashed the rock mainstream to pieces as they confounded both their fans and their peers with another genre bending mash of musical perfection. “How do they do it??”. How could they even BE so original???. Matt Bellamy was regarded as some kind of Jesus Mozart and the band were with every album getting bigger and bigger, wiping the cute British notion of “breaking America” on their perfectly rounded arses without the slightest sweat.

Quite honestly it’s a wonder this mentality came about in the first place. Even more incredible is how it’s still around. Muse were certainly never a bad band, but they were never really more than a catchy arena rock band with a few more tricks up their sleeves than your typical Brit rock crowd. The hype and unwavering praise they received from their fanbase seemed to get to their heads with 2009’s The Resistance, which apart from a couple of great songs was a bloated collection of overproduced and pretentious crap. It attempted soaring musical heights and grandness on every scale, and fell flat on its face. And still Muse got bigger. #1 in the UK and #3 in the USA- their best chart positions ever.

Three years on and the condition has worsened. The 2nd Law is completely without merit. It is neither catchy, original, deep nor interesting. Every inch is overproduced into an overambitious mess, every melody is dull and with every falsetto and faux-string accompaniment you get the feeling that Muse have completely fallen into the trap of believing their own hype- that they truly are fantastic, infallible musical artists. Even when they shamelessly rip off other artists (definitely not Queen) or make a half-arsed attempt at sprinkling on the shavings of some musical fad (see “Unsustainable”) completely unrelated to the rest of their sound, you can be certain that an army will defend their right to take inspiration from other artists and adapt it to make it their own (because after all, isn’t that what makes them so unique?). And really, that’s the problem with Muse. The problem which has finally squeezed the rest of its fat, ugly head out of the ground. What was once a decent alternative rock band has discovered that they can release any sickeningly slick, insipid piece of *** and never get called out on it. So why try?

Azealia Banks Broke With Expensive TasteJMSN †Pllajë†
Say Lou Lou Better In The DarkSky Ferreira Night Time, My Time
M.I.A. MatangiThe Weeknd Kiss Land
2.6

22090 Comments

am i harsh or am i harsh

bit of a different style of reviewing. experimenting, as it were (hur hur). dunno how it will come off but I'm ready for the worst

Digging: Andy Stott - Faith in Strangers

Capablanca
September 24th 2012

pos'. Wasn't aware this was out already, and not sure if I really want to listen to it.

22090 Comments

I don't think it's out yet but there're streams about

September 24th 2012

Great read, I love a good rant. Pos'd.

I haven't even heard this yet though.

Digging: Have a Nice Life - The Unnatural World

sixdegrees
September 24th 2012

Damn you really tore this album a new one.

The sad part is, this will probably be praised to high heaven by the mainstream music press.

Digging: Satomimagae - Koko

YoYoMancuso
September 24th 2012

good rant review, after those horrible Death rants this was a breath of fresh air

September 24th 2012

Agree, but the songs sung by the bassist are pretty good to be fair (and thankfully not Muse-like at all). I would've given them some redemption for that. Unless you hated those as well haha. Don't see why though

minty901

2084 Comments

wait... you JUST listened to this. to give a fair review of an album without even giving it a tiny amount of time to settle and reflect? not sure about that. do you have no concept of albums that aren't entirely immediate, catchy and memorable after one listen? to place any trust in a review this rushed would be misguided.

Insurrection
September 24th 2012

review sounds more like a rant tbh

Digging: Failure - Fantastic Planet

insomniac15
September 24th 2012

I agree with your review even if it is a bit harsh at times (and the rating as well). There are countless influences here and it sounds disorienting. However, I enjoy Panic Station even though it sounds a bit like Jamiroquai with some George Michael vocals over it.

Digging: Stonebride - Heavy Envelope

zxlkho

good review

Capablanca
September 24th 2012

I like this rant review more than the other one tbh, at least there are some cohesive thoughts here and not just OMG MUSE SUCKS SO BAD WHY DO I EVEN BOTHER

September 24th 2012

"Panic Station" has me at a loss for words.

sixdegrees
September 24th 2012

it's like every bad thing about 80s pop music in a song made in 2012.

Insurrection

panic station is hilarious

insomniac15
September 24th 2012

I know the song doesn't make any sense, but it's the only enjoyable song on the album for me.

jefflebowski
September 24th 2012

this review is way too generous

22090 Comments

Album would be a 1.5 or 2 if it weren't for the mentality that seems to have gone into it, which in itself is what I find most unforgivable.

I do and this isn't one. You don't have to listen 15 times to tell that

zxlkho

?????

September 24th 2012

"Panic Station" is catchy at best, but mostly just complete ear rape