maudlin of the Well
Leaving Your Body Map

by Ethics USER (5 Reviews)
September 22nd, 2012 | 38 replies

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Maudlin's final release and their finest. With music that is both captivating and challenging, this is Driver at his prime.

Leaving Your Body Map is mine. It traps me in some sort of state that almost no other album can pull off, and does so for the entirety of it's songs. Having owned Bath for two years and listening to it almost religiously before even discovering LYBM, this album shot to one of (if not the) greatest album for me personally as soon as I heard it. A true work of art - and in my opinion, undoubtedly Driver's best.

The musicianship on LYBM is very hard to explain. For the most part it's metal, but you'll find that it's not fair to call it that entirely. Some songs don't even reveal any aspects of the genre at all, with acoustic guitar, soft spoken vocals, sleigh bells, or even the viola making a brief appearance. There's even a few moments of sax that accompany parts of the clean transitions, but I wouldn't deem the sound as jazzy in the slightest. Oddly enough, none of it ever feels out of place in the on what is widely classified as a metal album. The lyrics are personal and abstract ranging in everything from purpose to astral projections, climaxes are exceptional, and transitions within each song are extraordinarily smooth when desired. Toby Driver has created something that is almost spiritual within these songs, and it's incredible. It's the emotionally polarizing album, and the clean/harsh formula that structures and elicits those emotions is genius. Driver and maudlin seem to have a knack for knowing exactly when to back off and ride the song out in a different fashion, or bring in whatever instrument fits the mold best to create something entirely unique and captivating on it's own.

Throughout the sixty one minute album, you'll get a fair share in moments of distraught, pain, and almost a sense of true evil. Screams can be heard in the beginning of a song at a far distance, like someone's being beaten to death while trying to escape. Yet, the next song will have you in a state of bliss entirely throughout. Like you've ventured far off into the perfect dream, never to return back. Moments like this are scattered throughout LYBM and the entire trip is so grand, holding such a sense of certainty, that it's really an enigma when attempting to figure out how an individual can find the psyche to write music like this. With this album, you're either in fear of what may come next - grasping for something to hold on to under all the power and angst of emotions that are the farthest away from joy, or you're marveling at how beautiful, soothing, and awe-inspiring the sounds can be. It can grab a hold of you and really question the way you view your lifestyle and the things within it. And that's what sort of sets it aside from Bath, the emotions elicited here are much more extreme. It doesn't set up climaxes the same way the previous album does, nor does it ever stay too stagnant. The songs are much harsher in sound when needed, and more surreal and ambient when calming down. Not for the fearful or closed minded, Leaving Your Body Map is more than just music - it's an experience. And for those who focus, embrace it, and truly desire a comprehension of it's complexity.. it's a modern masterpiece.

4.2
KjD (4.5)
While it falls a bit short of the masterpiece Bath, Leaving Your Body Map displays excellent musicia...

Neoteric (4.5)
Part two of the classic Bath. This time with a harsher sound but with plenty of surreal moments to ...

72086 Comments

good album

Digging: Steve Hackett - Out of the Tunnel's Mouth

SaneTBP

baths better yea

Digging: Olivier Messiaen - Quatuor pour la fin du temps, I/22

SgtPepper
September 22nd 2012

YoYoMancuso got me into these guys again recently. It is a pretty great album I agree.

Youtellme

"Maudlin's final release"

Not.

MichaelSnoxall
September 22nd 2012

Part the Second was their final release.

Xenophanes
September 22nd 2012

Better than bath, you heard it here first!

ti0n
September 22nd 2012

leaving your body map is baths part II i dont see it as 2 albums.

Digging: The Twilight Sad - Nobody Wants To Be Here And Nobody Wants To Leave

Xenophanes

Okay

20068 Comments

Sleigh bells? Sounds interesting good review, pos

Digging: Circa Survive - Descensus

MichaelSnoxall
September 22nd 2012

How do you know the bells were from a sleigh, hmmmm?

GiaNXGX

Awesome! I love maudlin of the Well's discography. POS'd

GiaNXGX
September 22nd 2012

I just can't relate this to Leaves Turn Inside You :[ why? Unwound's masterpiece is experimental
slowcore - this (on the other hand) is an avant-garde piece..

menawati

Nice, pos'd.

Digging: H.P. Lovecraft - H.P. Lovecraft II

FadedSun
September 22nd 2012

Both albums are awesome. One isn't better than the other.

YoYoMancuso
September 22nd 2012

YoYoMancuso got me into these guys again recently

glad to hear that Hernan. anyway nice review, i pos'd. Bizarre Flowers is mind-blowing

Ethics
September 22nd 2012

Part the Second is a release of their older songs, nothing on the album is new material. This is
where the band got together and created their final stuff.

And lol, idk why I said sleigh bells, just sorta sounds like that to me.

Unwound's Leaves Turn Inside You is really powerful and creates a really dense atmosphere similar to
Leaving Your Body Map. That's the only relationship I could really make and reasoning to why I
suggested it would be my belief that it's underrated/not as popular. Thought fans of this might
appreciate it.

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone! Honestly wasn't expecting this for my second review.

YoYoMancuso

jamming this

Lunarfall

where
the band got together and created their final stuff.

wat this doesnt even make sense

Insurrection

rules

Digging: Soen - Tellurian

Ethics
September 22nd 2012

I worded that poorly lol. Leaving Your Body Map is maudlin's last work.

Part the Second is a release of songs they did earlier on, none of it is more current than anything on LYBM. I think a few fans donated or something to get it produced.