Mumford and Sons
Sigh No More

good

by ImTheOnlyThugInTheBuildin USER (142 Reviews)
September 21st, 2012 | 29 replies

Review Summary: An album that is only slightly above average

Mumford and Sons release their new album on Monday, so i figured it was time to review Sigh No More. Now, i used to have a huge amount of love for this debut album from the folk rockers, and would happily have 5'd it when it first came out. However, with experience comes wisdom, and i can give this a much more unbiased review now. This may not be as good as i initially thought, but it sure is slightly above average.

Kicking things off with the title track, we are gifted a very slow opening to a song with some very deep, meaningful lyrics. However, this song does not really get going until around the 1.50 mark, when it finally kicks off in a speedier manner, and this really suits the band, as they know how to play nice mid-paced folk numbers. The banjo thumping along in the background is the highlight of nearly every song on this album, and it is clear that Winston Marshall really does possess a lot of talent on his instrument.

The other standouts are The Cave, Dust Bowl Dance and Little Lion Man. Little Lion Man is the bands most well known song, and with good reason, being incredibly well written and having some beautiful vocals from Marcus Mumford. The Cave is another of the bands best known tracks, and has the most amazing lyrics from the album, with some real thought put into them and so many different interpretations possible that they are breathtaking. The banjo once again only adds to this song.

However, Dust Bowl Dance is the best song on here, hands down. The lyrics have a real aura of desperation to them that suits the music perfectly, which is a slow, mourning number, with some beautiful vocals from Mumford. However, as the song progresses, it picks up and just gets more and more intense and incredible. The instrumental work to this is gorgeous, having so much talent behind it that it is hard to take in at first listen. This song really is one of the most amazing songs in the genre, and it is very rare that a song like this comes along.

Unfortunately, for the most part, this album manages to be a consistent average. There is little variation throughout it, and songs such as White Blank Page and Winter Winds just come across feeling lazy, as though the band just went through the motions without trying to make them stand out from the rest of the album.

The vocal work is absolutely breathtaking on this album, throwing out the lyrics with everything from love to rage, and goes perfectly with the well written instrumentals in the background. Each member of this band knows exactly what they are doing, and they pull it off perfectly. Dust Bowl Dance is the best song on here, but all of the songs have solid vocal work and instrumentals , it is just that many of them come across as feeling half formed, and therefore this album is nothing more than slightly above average. 3/5

Blood on the Dance Floor It's Hard to Be a Diamond...Katalepsy Autopsychosis
Cryptopsy Whisper SupremacyHades Resisting Success
Metallica Death MagneticBlack Veil Brides We Stitch These Wounds
Adam Knott EMERITUS (1.5)
If you don't listen to it properly, Sigh No More is a fantastic debut....

Michael Philp (3.5)
Despite murdering their best idea with the best intentions Mumford & Sons still manage to craft a se...

Davey Boy STAFF (3.5)
Delivering folk - and the banjo - to the masses....

doug (4.5)
With banjo in hand, Mumford & Sons have created the debut album of the year....

Babel

ThroneOfAgony
September 21st 2012

this band is complete shit

19916 Comments

good job, pretty much agreed. pos'd

Digging: Dornenreich - Freiheit

johnnydeking29
September 21st 2012

Meh, always found them very boring but a tiny bit moving

Digging: Kayo Dot - Coffins On Io

sixdegrees
September 21st 2012

good review. I don't like this band at all.

Digging: yasumiyasumi - Tokyo Digital Love

19916 Comments

agreed that when it first came out it sounded great (not a 5) probably a 4 but it became less exciting with multiple listens.

breakingthefragile
September 21st 2012

I agree with this rating so much.

MisterTornado

garbitch

September 21st 2012

Really nice review but I'm not much of a fan.

19916 Comments

people who say this band is complete shit or garbage are just trying to fit in.

The band was insanely popular until they broke into the mainstream and everyone started hating on them.

September 21st 2012

I honestly never liked them. Not that when I first heard their album I didn't think it was good but
it's like... it doesn't last. It's like a shot glass of liquid sugar melted into a very thin
record to me. =/

I get the appeal but it's not for me. The banjo breakdowns and emotional stampeding vocals... it does
nothing for me.

19916 Comments

Fair enough stereo. At least u gave it a 2.5 I just feel like giving it a 1 or saying the band is complete shit is an over statement.

Although I've heard much better folk...(Bon Iver, Fleet Foxes, etc.)

amiritsuccumb
September 21st 2012

I don't like this that much

September 21st 2012

Yeah, I mean, it goes without saying everyone on this site knows I'm a huge Fleet Foxes fan. Them and
Sam Amidon are my favourite contemporary folk artist (is Bon Iver still folk?)

And I'll say it again, Frontier Ruckus remind me way more of Mumford & Sons than Fleet Foxes but I
still like Frontier Ruckus' sound (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZdxIl4wCMU).

A 1 is ridiculous haha. I can't understand that. I appreciate them bringing something out but it's
just not for me. I need more subtly, you know?

amiritsuccumb

Fleet Foxes are so boring

19916 Comments

yeah in looking in the ratings I guess this doesn't even have very many 1 ratings.

Most the people saying the album is complete shit haven't even rated it and are just talking out their ass.

Folk music is exciting?

Personally, Fleet Foxes tick all the boxes for me. =)

September 21st 2012

Yeah, I'd agree with that. A 1 is incredibly harsh. It's still a catchy album at the end of the day.

blastOFFitsPARTYtime
September 21st 2012

Take out 'slightly above' and your summary nails it.

Decent review. Pos'd.

Aids
September 21st 2012

the new album is going to be actually be bad and i'll have to start defending these guys. people get way too worked up about them though.

Digging: RATKING - So It Goes

Lakes.
September 21st 2012

they're just riding the folk revival train

Digging: Weezer - Everything Will Be Alright in the End