Death
Scream Bloody Gore

by Shachar Sagui USER (26 Reviews)
September 21st, 2012 | 54 replies | 1,625 views

Release Date: 1987 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Raw, fast and brutal, Death's debut is only the beautiful beginning of a perfect discography.

THE STORY OF DEATH, EPISODE I/VII - SCREAM BLOODY GORE:

Death is not one of these bands. Don’t get me wrong, Scream Bloody Gore is one of my favorite albums of all time, but, truth must be told, it falls in comparison to the band's last four albums. Still, Scream is without doubt an amazing, highly influential effort, which features some of the catchiest Death Metal of all time.
Scream Bloody Gore was the album that started it all. [Some may argue that Possessed was the first Death Metal band, because Seven Churches, their debut, was released before Scream Bloody Gore, but let's not forget that Death wrote an honorable number of demo tapes before it, and that both of the bands started performing about the same time]. Never before there was such bloody, horrific lyrical themes. Never before there was such brutal vocal performance.

Listening to the first song, Infernal Death, you can already know what to expect from this album: an extremely fast, brutal and raw Death Metal. By listening to the second track, you will fully absorb the essence of the album, and there is no turning back; you are completely hooked. Zombie Ritual, like most of the songs in the album, starts with an epic harmonic intro, which builds into a complete Thrash-fest accompanied by Chuck Schuldiner's deep screams and horror-movie based lyrics. It is, in fact, extremely catchy, and you would undoubtedly have the tune stuck in your head for the next few days, probably alongside to other catchy pieces here, such as Beyond The Unholy Grave and Evil Dead, to name a few.
The album continues with the exact same attitude throughout all 12 tracks. Some may call it repetitive and hate it; I call it consistent and love it. At the end of the day it’s a catchy, raw and fast masterpiece, regardless of how progressed and perfect late Death albums were. In addition, it will be quite interesting for any Death Metal fan to check this out, just to discover where it all begun, and how it used to be.

Death released Scream after four long years of existence, and by the time they set down to record the album, they had about 30 songs written. Chuck, seemingly, chose ten of the tracks he wrote (Beyond The Unholy Grave and Land Of No Return wasn’t originally on the cassette version, but they were released with the CD later the same year), and added them together. For those of you who seek for more Scream Bloody Gore styled Death songs, many great ones can be found on the early demos the band put out, e.g. Death By Metal, Infernal Death.

Death is one of the greatest Death Metal bands of all time, if not the greatest. Its debut, Scream Bloody Gore, is an essential, highly-influential masterpiece. I strongly recommend it to anyone who is into Death Metal. For the few of you that hadn’t got to check out Death Metal yet, this is probably a great place to start, seeing as the music is fairly similar to Thrash Metal. The Album will slowly sooth you in and will eventually make you the badass hardcore DM fan you all wish to be.

Recommended Tracks:
- Zombie Ritual
- Beyond The Unholy Grave
- Evil Dead

Scream Bloody Gore was released in May 25, 1987. The record label is Combat Records and it is 41:59 minutes long.

Personnel:

All songs written by Chuck Schuldiner.
Chuck Schuldiner - bass, lead guitar, rhythm guitar, vocals
Chris Reifert - drums
Edward Repka - design, illustrations
Randy Burns - percussion, producer
John Hand - credited on album as rhythm guitar but did not actually play on album (or during any live performances)

Production:
Randy Burns, Chuck Schuldiner - producers

R.I.P CHUCK

Wolf WolfBlack Sabbath Technical Ecstasy
The High Windows The High WindowsSortilege Métamorphose
Camel I Can See Your House from HereDeath Individual Thought Patterns
TableGuy (3.5)
Raw, evil, and fast, Scream Bloody Gore is a great album that primarily suffers from blatant repetit...

necroscope86 (5)
Death get just about everything right on their highly influential and fantastically written debut....

ImTheOnlyThugInTheBuildin (3.5)
Massively overshadowed by the albums that would follow it, this is a solid dose of death metal with ...

Bartender EMERITUS (4.5)

best album ever agreed

Digging: Invisible - El jardin de los presentes

September 21st 2012

Thinking about doing a Death discog, not sure Ill be able to keep them coming though.

oh faq, pos'd

omfg

rip

19672 Comments

Good review pos.

I'll listen to this again later and maybe up my rating.

johnnydeking29

Pos
"There is only a very limited number of bands whose debuts are better than their later albums" I disagree, there are several bands who have a magical debut that they never top

Digging: Envy - A Dead Sinking Story

September 21st 2012

nice review, some spelling/grammatical errors here and there but good

also love your opinion because it rules, pos'd super duper hard

RIP Chuck

Digging: Afflicted - Prodigal Sun

also, love this

"There is only a very limited number of bands whose debuts are better than their later albums. I could arguably fit Dio, Testament and Angel Witch into this category, bands with debuts that are so incredible, that none of their future works could be even compared to it.
Death is not one of these bands."

true imo. they progressed to improve upon this foundation that they laid. within Death's discog this is my least favorite, but it still rules and was foundational for dm. plus it's just cool to think about how great this album is, and then remember that they had 6 albums after it that ruled even more.

jmo. nice rev

19672 Comments

I'm gonna do a review for symbolic

September 21st 2012

@Ford: Yea, English isnt my native, and Word isnt enough sometimes.
@Johnny: I honestly think I can name you 5 bands with debuts that arent as good as the rest for any band with debut that is much better than the rest. I did name a few bands though.
@Atari: Good, this album is awesome and def deserves another review.

September 21st 2012

ah cool, what is your native language?

johnnydeking29
September 21st 2012

I agree that more bands mature and get better than get lucky with their debut, but there are still quite a few that never surpass album #1

oh yeah tons

September 21st 2012

Hebrew. English is pretty popular here though.

And yea I guess you are correct, I guess I dont listen to that much music, the three I named and W.A.S.P are probably the only bands I know with such a debut.

DarkSideOfLucca
September 21st 2012

Nas and Wu-Tang definitely fit into that category of artists who never topped their debut...IMO King Crimson also, even though I do really like some of their other albums. Arsis, Suffocation, etc.

holy fuk Hebrew!!

thats's fukin sik

wasn't hebrew like the first laguage on earth er somethn like dat

DarkSideOfLucca

Oh, I almost forgot Pearl Jam

And Jeff Buckley (Lawlz!),

ViralOblivion

Great review

September 21st 2012

Hmmm... Well cap'n it said so in the bible but I doubt thats true actually.

ah