Go Radio
Close the Distance

good

by Aaron Arneson CONTRIBUTOR (105 Reviews)
September 19th, 2012 | 47 replies | 5,442 views

Review Summary: A good effort in itself, but unable to match the consistency of "Lucky Street".

When Go Radio released their first album "Lucky Street", they really hit the nail on the head. The debut was packed with 14 catchy pop-rock tracks and hardly any filler, making it one of the best alternative rock releases of 2011. So does the sophomore effort "Close The Distance" measure up to the outstanding debut? Not even close, but there are still some essential tracks here.

The obvious star of the group is vocalist Jason Lancaster who is best known for his previous work in Mayday Parade's older, and arguably better albums. He helps carry the album even through its weaker moments. The first two singles 'Collide' and 'Go to Hell' are rather underwhelming, but the vocals prove to be their saving grace. However, one aspect of the record that bothered me is it feels like the band are leaning towards a more radio friendly sound. This is apparent immediately after hearing the first track 'I won't lie' which has radio rock written all over it. Some may not find this to be a bad thing, but those who drooled over "Lucky Street" may have a hard time adjusting to the change in sound.

It's in the second half of the album where Go Radio really get a chance to shine. The band knocks the ball out of the park with songs like the beautiful closer 'Hear me Out'. It's one of the softest tracks on the record, but also one of the most impacting. Jason Lancaster uses his poetic voice to draw you into the song, then it builds and explodes into quite the emotional little ballad. With lyrics like "Watching as the leaves fall down / The colors where we used to run and play.", it's hard not to feel connected to your childhood. Other standouts would have to be the title track or 'The Ending'. Both songs are filled with huge chorusus and soaring melodies making them hard not to enjoy.

Sadly, that's about as far as my praise goes for "Close the Distance." It has it's moments, but it's not as consistent or as enjoyable as its predecessor. There are some outstanding songs, but the filler tracks in between keep it from reaching its true potential. Thankfully, due to Lancaster's unique vocals and the undeniably catchy choruses it's still an album worth checking out.

Somos Temple of PlentyFireworks Oh, Common Life
A Slow Descent On GanymedeThe Hotelier Home, Like NoPlace Is There
Agalloch The WhiteThe Beatles Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
brandontaylor (3)
Go Radio begin closing the distance between themselves and mediocrity. Almost there!...

Dakoda Jones (4)
It's different from the Go Radio people might know but it's still incredibly good....

September 19th 2012

Too tired to look at this more right now but will edit in the morning.

Good album but not great. Favorite song: Hear Me Out.

Digging: Somos - Temple of Plenty

DaveyBoy

20825 Comments

I was waiting for someone to review this... & review it well. Thanks Atari.

Apart from maybe some of the highlight tracks, I can pretty much back up everything the reviewer has said here. Definitely more radio-friendly, definitely safer & does not reach the heights of 'Lucky Street'. Way too many tracks have similar pacing & structures. I'm still deciding between a 3 & a 3.5, but anyone who is neutral towards Lancaster will definitely go the lower rating.

September 19th 2012

Thanks Davey. I don't feel like this is my best review but I appreciate the kind words sir. I should be asleep but might edit it some more lol.

joshieboy12345
September 19th 2012

Been waiting for someone to review this, although short, gets straight to the point and l agree. Lancaster still remains my favorite pop punk vocalist despite this being a level below Lucky Street. I still believe this deserves a 3.5 at least. I Won't Lie, Collide, Title Track and Lost And Found are my favorites. Good review Atari.

Digging: For The Fallen Dreams - Heavy Hearts

Tempertemperature
September 19th 2012

I wish it had the same driving guitar and energy as Lucky Street did. Probably not gonna end up a 4 but for now..

henryChinaski
September 19th 2012

I enjoyed 'Collide' when it was released as a single. Second single 'Go To Hell' is terrible in my opinion. Gonna check this out. Nice review.

Digging: The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream

DaveyBoy

20825 Comments

I don't mind 'Go To Hell', but it's trying to be this album's 'Any Other Heart' and just doesn't have the meaning behind that song.

September 19th 2012

Agreed with the rating and the review. This is decent but nothing out of the ordinary.

nononsense
September 19th 2012

Very disappointed by this album. I got bored very quickly with this album. Not as fun or catchy as the bands previous work. The only good thing I can find about this album are the fantastic lyrics and Jason's vocals.

Digging: For The Fallen Dreams - Heavy Hearts

September 19th 2012

Thanks guys. Didn't have a whole lot to say about this one. Gonna listen again though and see if anything else resonates.

September 22nd 2012

Haven't heard this yet, but Lucky Street was very boring imo.

September 22nd 2012

@chipmunk, you're killing me smalls. Lucky street rocked. Nah but seriously if u thought it was boring u won't like this one at all

September 22nd 2012

Do Overs and Second Chances is by far their best album.

Atari, I found it boring like when it came out: when I pretty much like any and all pop punk/rock I
heard not named simple plan, good Charlotte, etc.

September 22nd 2012

Isn't that an ep? I'll check it out. Do u like the older mayday parade that had the singer of go radio?

September 22nd 2012

2 years ago, I wouldn't go a day without listening to a song on ALIR.

Yeah it's the 2nd EP. You should listen to it, far better than Lucky Street.

September 22nd 2012

yeah lesson in romantics is great. I'll listen to the ep but doubt I'll like it better than lucky street. (I thought Lucky Street was awesome)

JasonCarne
September 24th 2012

This was pretty boring and safe - they could definitely do a lot better.

September 24th 2012

agreed.

Sirob
September 26th 2012

this is a 4 right now (mostly cause im a huge Go Radio and Jason Lancaster fan) but it may work its way down to a 3.

but anyways this album really doesnt compare to lucky street and it's in a little bit of a different style but overall id say that for being pop rock, its pretty top notch

September 26th 2012

Well I really liked some of the songs but there was too much filler.

Also if you like pop rock check out the early november in currents.