ARG
One World Without the End

by CaptainDooRight USER (93 Reviews)
September 18th, 2012 | 27 replies

Release Date: 1991 | Tracklist

Review Summary: What's better than thrash? Thrash with progressive influences.

When we ponder music in general it's easy to conclude that most people enjoy anything that is cohesive and executed correctly. I know I do, and ARG's second LP One World Without the End fits these catagories very well. Although we have both progressive and thrash techniques utilized together neither extreme seems to deter the other. At times song structures will be pure thrash or a combination of the two. Regardless thrash is the predominating factor here.

ARG are from Finland and were formed in 1987 so their contribution to music was executed during the heights of many old school thrash and metal bands. Their sound can be best likened to mix of Kreator, Destruction, Atheist, and Death. The vocals and alternate pickings styles are really reminiscent of Chuck Schuldiner's earlier styles of his career. Some of the faster riffing styles sound like they could have came off Kreator's Pleasure to Kill and Destruction's Infernal Overkill. I had to throw Atheist into the equations because some of the riffs have a jazzy feel to them as well as the riff transitions and blending styles. Take for instance the ending moments of "Died For What". We have vocalist Tepa throwing some nice death-shrieks over an odd-timed melodic combo of tremolos and alternate pickings.

The progressive influences shine right from the first track "Last Dawn of Humanity" with clean guitar that repeat themselves as layers of string synths join in. The clean intro transitions half way through with a new riff that is clearly middle eastern inspired. Even the way tracks begin and transition, progressive elements are there. Rather than being thrown straight into an assault of riffs ARG allows them to build on your ears in a tasteful manner where you might here a song starting with one instrument or sound-skit before the full song feel kicks in. Good examples of progressive tendencies are found on "In the Depths of Sanity" and "One World Without the End". The first is more thrash oriented with a skit intro that changes textures as the song progressive through cohesive riffs. The latter is a 12 minute epic that begins and ends with a common theme; encasing modes and prefects domestic to its introduction but creative and fluid enough to fit within the albums feel.

The audible bass lines of Jars Kelloniem are a tasty treat to this albums old school production style of well leveled instruments and clear frequencies. His bass approach can be heard all throughout One World Without the End. Jars generally follows the suite of the guitars and can be heard standing out on clean sections and riff transitions that use only the bass as a bridge. Drummer Pasi Takkula is one solid drummer and really brings all the riffs and transitions together with well fitting fills and adding that final piece of relativity with his odd-timed riffs that work hand in hand with the guitars.

With so many tasty songs to choose from, One World Without the End sits well with some of the most cohesive thrash albums from the old school era. ARG a good demonstration that there are many good unheard of thrash albums out there that are just as good, if not better, than some of the well known thrash bands of past years. I encourage anyone who is interested in hearing thrash from a slightly different progressive feel to give this a try. It has inspired me to both write and search for music that has unique features that are about the music and not about fitting in with the world’s scene. I hope you appreciate One World Without the End as much as I do.

Dropped Flyer Electronic CigaretteAbacus Abacus
Van der Graaf Generator Pawn HeartsFinch (NL) Beyond Expression
Orwell AVOHFASIHOdyssey (USA) An Abstract Existence

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oubtzB4R6Es

^the thrash/progressive 12 minute song "One World Without the End"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFqBXBdG5ys

^opening track after clean intro "Died for What", more thrash than prog and heavy

www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5470ddOlVA

^"Adoration of the Kings", heavy mid-fast paced thrash with tasty transistions and a strong ending

If you like any of these get the whole album.

cheers

SgtPepper
September 17th 2012

Checked out the first link which is actually "One World without End" not "Descent From the Heaven". It's pretty good so far. It does a really good job of setting the mood in the beginning and then fucking taking off at the 3 minute mark to some pretty brutal playing.

Good review, man. POS'd. this band sounds awesome.

September 17th 2012

Thanks bro, whoever uploaded the song on my dl titled it wrong. I'll def fix that up ina jippy.

SgtPepper
September 17th 2012

listening to "Staybullet" now, it is pretty fucking good.

September 17th 2012

Awesome bro, I saw this rated on your profile and looked for it on youtube the other day, I still need to listen to the whole thing but it is solid as fuck from what I've heard. Thrash review - Auto pos m/

September 17th 2012

Are you still going to reup Captain666's review?

September 17th 2012

damn editing a review from the iPhone is hard as shits, I'll have to fix that song name when I get back to my laptop latter

Glad you're digging Paper m/

Yea Gian I already requested the transfer in the meds thread, hopefully it's a possible action

September 17th 2012

It's because I wanted to tell you about a Mexican band I found months ago, KILL & sonic liked them but I forgot to tell you on the thread.

September 17th 2012

Oh sweet what do we have post a song link or the name and I'll definitely look it up bro

September 17th 2012

Band name is Agora (not to be confused with jazzy prog/gordian not rip-off band aghora), they play prog metal with power metal-like vocals but the riffs are so m/ and good & make you want to punch a robot. Here's a song, I really like the concept too (shame you don't speak spanish) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZmAl-Y29AQ tell me what you think bro.

September 18th 2012

Yo sav'e poquito, no mucho

listening right now bro, sounds legit, riffs are solid and vox fit well, its got some solid prog influence to it as well, nice synths too, build up to solo at 5 minute mark is tits hard,

i wanna get but i see two links one is 121 mb and the other is 49, which one is legit bro?

Voivod
September 18th 2012

Good call for the review.

Will read later as I have to get ready for work.

Edit: Well written, have a pos.

I've been seeing both ARG albums being praised in blogs, but for some reason I never bothered to listen to them.

Will check.

Digging: Aspherium - The Fall of Therenia

September 18th 2012

Thanks bro. I had seen them around before and decided to embrace the artwork that caught my eye; and with good consequences. I hope you enjoy if you get around to checking it. Thanks for the feedback.

Sniff

You has a pos!

ViperAces
September 18th 2012

Id check it out, according to the rec's I should like this.

Thanks sniff

You should def Viper, it's really good

zaruyache

ARG

Thought this was gonna be a pirate band. Am disappoint.

Digging: Maybeshewill - Fair Youth

rofl

edit.......

seedofnothing
September 18th 2012

Really good and consistent review. Pos'd