Earl Sweatshirt
EARL

2.0
poor

by snoopdogg6969 USER (11 Reviews)
September 15th, 2012 | 32 replies

Review Summary: Earl: The black Aaron Carter

Historians in the future will look at this album as a quintessential example of the metaphorical cancer that spread throughout hip hop and eventually killed it. EARL is not the root of this cancer, but it is one of its many infested cells that contributed to the genre's demise. A genre that was once dominated by wit, political conscience, candidness, and honesty gradually lost all of these ingredients and became entirely about one thing: sound; making the genre virtually indistinguishable from Pop.

Epar is case and point into this phenomenon. The album's focus was obviously 100% devoted to the sound of the album and the message in the lyrics was entirely secondary. There is no point to this album, except to rhyme random word plays (if you call "This bitch is underage But I'll have her face off tied and Nicholas Cage'd" a wordplay) and metaphors over a beat,while trying to keep your attention with violence.

The production on EARL is incredible at some points (the song Couch) and mediocre to boring for the majority of the album. Earl's flow is incredibly orthodox and stale but is impressive to people trying to hear as many rhymes packed into each sentence as possible. Earl keeps the album interesting by name-dropping and making up violent rape stories that are more pathetic than scary. Other than that there literally is nothing except simplistic comparisons about Earl being a random adjective like, hungry, hard or tough. ("The Odd nigga with a spoon in your danimals. As hungry as a cannibal, trapped in a van of cantaloupes".) When looking closer at the rhymes you realize they are quite sloppy and only are held together by Earl mispronouncing word after word in what could be a tribute to Lil' Wayne, the man who did as much as any other to dumb-down the genre and pave the way for mediocre-MC/pop-star rappers like Earl.

At the end of this album you come away with absurd rape stories, a flow that could only be seen as impressive for a 15 year old, and gibberish that sounds like its being randomly read from a rhyming dictionary. The artist's frustration towards women conveyed through denial and hostility is reminiscent of preschoolers saying "girls have cooties". Actually that's being too hard on preschoolers, because cooties are actually scary, made-up rape stories however are more of a I-walked-in-on-you-jerking-off kind of scary. Earl does deserve credit, however, for the song "Luper", for rising from a 15-year-old to a 17-year-old level of poetry. This album truly will go down with other classic child pop albums by pioneers like Aaron Carter. Yet Earl still still has a long way to go to match the cunning wordplay and lyricism displayed in AC's classic song "That's How I Beat Shaq".

KRS-One Return Of The Boom BapKRS-One Adventures In Emceein
Kanye West My Beautiful Dark Twisted FantasyMethod Man Tical 0: The Prequel
KRS-One Prophets Vs. ProfitsBoogie Down Productions By All Means Necessary
Marzuki (3.5)
So what you're telling me is, Odd Future ISN'T a vintage science fiction magazine?...

Chriss Varvis (3.5)
Not something your grandmother would appreciate....

random (4)
Unlike Asher Roth, Earl Sweatshirt definitely isn't asleep in the bread aisle....

Big Baby Jesus (3.5)
Don't let your children listen to this when they're sober....

Doris
recommended by reviewer
Tyler, the creator Goblin
Tyler, the creator Bastard

Sweet summary

Criticism always appreciated

September 15th 2012

As well as praise, thanks Trebor

breakingthefragile
September 15th 2012

You're writing has definitely improved with each review. I'm glad that you decided to take this more
seriously, because you're pretty good at it. Have a pos.

tarkus
September 15th 2012

need a comma after candidness

making the genre indistinguishable from pop is a fragment

breakingthefragile
September 15th 2012

Dude, Bieber is A MILLION times better than Aaron Cater could ever DREAM of being.

Hep Kat

quintessential

stopped reading

elephantREVOLUTION
September 15th 2012

good review. you heard any of earl's new stuff? he's matured a lot

Sniff

pos'd

Digging: Black Milk - If There's a Hell Below

MeatSalad
September 15th 2012

I actually agree with a lot of this but I think Earl is a good rapper, best from OF anyway

Digging: Flying Lotus - You're Dead!

DirEnRefused
September 15th 2012

Decent review, but I disagree with the premise that lyrics require profundity and some semblance of
sense to be of merit. As long as it sounds good, I can relinquish the need to give a fuck about their
actual meaning.

FourthReich
September 15th 2012

the best rappers imo rap about fiction because factual events get overly redundant. rap is poetry and storytelling and in my mind this entire album is a great display of fictional storyelling. his flow is very awkward though i will give you that, however i completely disagree with you in terms of his lyircal play; they are way above average. see track 6 for the best example. with that said great review though the first paragraph needs to go, we have all heard that hip-hop is dying or is dead et cetera et cetera.

someguest

20879 Comments

Have you listened to older hip-hop? The rhyming is just as shitty.

This review sucks.

Digging: Dexter Gordon - Our Man in Paris

geezers1989
September 15th 2012

aaron carter rapes this shit

AxC

September 15th 2012

Thanks for the compliments y'all. Thanks for the typos Tarkus.

September 15th 2012

this review is incredibly biased and makes some stupidly bold accusations, but my god... you nailed
it. you have this very likable tone to your writing, despite your arrogance. pos

Digging: Lantlos - .neon

Lovegood
September 15th 2012

You almost made me believe I don't like this album, but then I played the title track and then I realized that I can accept your opinion but not see it as fact :Cool: Great Review!

September 15th 2012

@elephantrevolution hardly, i'll have to try that because I've never understood the Earl hype but so many levelheaded people seem to like him. Got any songs/ albums you recommend?

@direnrefused thats true, but the reason i wrote this was to point out whats wrong with this album before everyone starts doing what they did for lil wayne and calling him the best rapper alive for random word plays.

@stoop kid. theres nothing wrong with fiction in rap, but when it becomes the only theme in an album its really lame to me, especially when the fiction is 90% rape stories. Track 6 has some impressive storytelling and lyrics but doesn't make up for the rest of the album

@someguest All I really listen to is older hip hop. Personally I don't even think this album belongs in the same genre as most of that. If you think old hip hop is bad we aren't going to agree on anything so of course you don't like the review