Luca Turilli's Rhapsody
Ascending To Infinity

by King Henry VIII USER (63 Reviews)
September 11th, 2012 | 19 replies | 3,789 views

Review Summary: Rhapsody has officially cut the cheese… into two parts.

After an inconvenient mutual split-up of the Italian power metal entourage for reasons that are too weird to understand the motives properly, regardless of what they’re saying. The Future of Rhapsody of Fire, Patrice Guers, and Luca Turilli where in deep question of their ability of carrying on without each other, especially Luca Turilli who’s the main man behind Rhapsody’s signature sound. Luca described the spilt-up as the formation of two Rhapsody bands that will carry on the traditional Rhapsody sound, as well as the new modern Rhapsody sound. Personally, I still don’t understand this whole ordeal. Mainly because Ascending to Infinity is considered the 11th Rhapsody album. Luca also has been saying that this solo career version of Rhapsody will carry out the traditional Rhapsody sound, along with musical freedom when writing these new Rhapsody albums. But the most shocking part of it all is that the album isn’t all that different from their old or newer material. The only thing that would be even note worthy of any difference is the middle-eastern/Indian influence within some choir chants. Besides that, Ascending to Infinity is just another Rhapsody album that really can’t distinguish itself with its own “proper” sound that hasn’t been made before in the original Rhapsody line-ups.

Even if Ascending to Infinity is considered the 11th Rhapsody album by the other Rhapsody of Fire members, it’s still technically a debut – a debut which would be bashed as a rip off if it didn’t consist of Luca Turilli. Since Luca is in the band, the rules of no harm and no foul play in. In all due respect, the album has a lot of good moments, especially in “Dark Fate of Atlantis”, “Excalibur”, and “Ascending to Infinity” which could be regarded as Rhapsody classics, but there’s a problem. That problem being the entire album is that it’s just another Rhapsody album. Basically, if you’ve heard one Rhapsody album, you’ve heard them all, but that doesn’t mean that they’re bad in any of the sense or even inconsistent. The only thing that’s different about every album in their discography is the excitement factor, and we’ve seen that factor fluctuate in both the highs and lows throughout Rhapsody’s career. This time in Ascending to Infinity we see that excitement factor in an average setting for Rhapsody with some energetic moments, such as “Dark Fate of Atlantis”. However, this album isn’t exactly innovative - it’s just another Rhapsody album, plain and simple as it is, but it’s still one of the best power metal albums to be released this year.

Edguy Space Police - Defenders of the CrownPowerwolf Preachers of the Night
Dark Tranquillity ConstructGamma Ray Master of Confusion
Stratovarius NemesisIn the Silence A Fair Dream Gone Mad

September 11th 2012

I'm kind of surprised that this album was ignored considering it's Rhapsody and all.

interesting, reading rev now

solid review, pos

Dreamflight
September 11th 2012

The summary itself is worth the pos.

Reivew sums up what I think of this too, great job.

fireandblood
September 11th 2012

This whole "Luca Turilli's Rhapsody" business is bullshit, what a lame split. Anyways, good review

Thanks guys.

pizzamachine
September 11th 2012

Check out this track and decide for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhSyJaJzxNw

September 11th 2012

damn pizza haven't seen u around for days bro, everything cool?

pizzamachine

Yeah it's all good just been playing Mass Effect 2 a lot

haha sweet

September 11th 2012

I forgot to mention this but, but the vocalist sounds just like Fabio, that's why it sounds like another Rhapsody album.

Poet
September 11th 2012

It's because I've been mostly MIA. I was going to review this but stuff like grad school and other things got in the way.

Good review by the way. This is pretty much my thoughts on this too.

Thanks dude

linguist2011
September 11th 2012

Not really that bothered about getting this album to be honest, and the review justifies why. I like the earlier ROF records, but I haven't really been interested in their new music lately.

Digging: Black Anvil - Hail Death

you're missing out

ill hv to listen

nice avi

September 11th 2012

dude Nergal is fucking badass iI'm tempted to get his new book lol

September 11th 2012

Btw Captain why did you get banned?

TheNotrap
September 13th 2012

Enjoyable release.

Nice work man, have a pos.