Abel (NY)
Make It Right

by Adam Knott EMERITUS
September 11th, 2012 | 86 replies | 14,294 views

Review Summary: A supremely confident and passionate alt-rock album packed to the seams with anthems and positively buzzing with energy.

There's a point midway through opening track "I'll Be Waiting" when it becomes apparent that Poughkeepsie outfit Abel are the sort of band not just capable of surprising you but dead set on it. What it foreshadows is an album in Make It Right which soars and shrinks in a lot of beautiful ways, finding the melodic threads of Thrice and accentuating them to craft a compelling but immediate alt-rock record which sounds just as assured in the soft balladry of "Come Home" as in the siren-like riff of "Fine Lines". Never content to rest on its laurels, it harbours that ever-elusive blend of hooks and energy, one which comes to the fore on lead single "Daughter" in a gorgeous pre-chorus which comes apart at the seams in a shouted refrain, only to morph back into an affecting post-chorus, at which point I start to lose track of the song's structure and just drown in the beautiful guitar tone.

Abel never step anywhere close to the boundary between rock and punk, even when they're at their most chaotic, but this is no criticism; the wordless chants of "A Grief Observed" are insatiably catchy, the entirety of "Fire Walk With Me" another example of the band's poise and confidence, delivering on a mid-tempo drumbeat which often invited mediocrity but here sounds momentous and engaging. Make It Right is the sort of rock album that feels as though it should already be in the absolute mainstream, a dynamic-sounding record easily capable of reaching the back of arenas if it were given the chance. "An Ultimatum" proves so, its dramatic second verse declaration that "it's me or your voice, that's one hell of a choice" a genuine contender for moment of the year, and the song as a whole standing as a microcosm of Abel's song-writing talents. There's real emotion in every chord and word, but it's nothing close to sappy; it takes at least a couple of unexpected twists, but never loses itself; and it just absolute thunders, energetically and dramatically, through a superb hook. It's tough to shake the feeling that there are big things ahead for a band this accomplished.

Mumford and Sons BabelThe Gaslight Anthem Handwritten
Motion City Soundtrack GoSigur Ros Valtari
Silversun Pickups Neck of the WoodsiLiKETRAiNS The Shallows
Mike Denison (3.5)
Not quite right yet....

September 11th 2012

This is honestly absolutely awesome. Pretend this is a DaveyBoy review.

September 11th 2012

This sounds like something I will absolutely love. Great review, will look for this.

Digging: The Hotelier - Home, Like NoPlace Is There

September 11th 2012

is it streaming anywhere?

Ponton

youtubing

things going well adam?

Digging: Mimicking Birds - Mimicking Birds

chambered49
September 11th 2012

when it becomes apparent that Poughkeepsie

WHAT

thats where i live/am from :/ stalker knott

September 11th 2012

im sorry i know im all british and everything but the name of that place is fucking stupid

things are good jared how bout u

@ProjectFreak: i'm not aware of a stream anywhere right now but i'll keep my eyes out.

klap

yo knott review stars

thejared
September 11th 2012

From the two songs I've heard so far its shaping up to be a solid alt rock album. "Lesser Men" was one of my favorite albums of 2010 so well see if this one can top it. From what I've heard so far I think it will!

Digging: Chet Faker - Built on Glass

MisterTornado

sputcore lives

Digging: Oberman Knocks - Dilankex

DaveyBoy

20800 Comments

Woh, a 4.5.

I wanted to have a sound-off or comment ready to back Adam up, but I got distracted... By their earlier album, among other things!

September 11th 2012

i don't know of a stream but i'll keep my eyes peeled

im good jared how bout you?

i know im dead british and whatever but poughkeepsie is a stupid name for a place

album is amazing

Would I like this Adam

I mean I'm going to listen to it anyway, but I don't want to deal with the suspense

ABjordanMM
September 11th 2012

listened to the two songs on their bandcamp and pre-ordered immediately. That almost never happens.

Digging: Manchester Orchestra - Cope

TMobotron
September 11th 2012

Damn there's been a lot of great alt-rock this year.

TMobotron
September 11th 2012

Yeah these 2 bandcamp tracks rule, and "Fire Walk With Me" is awesome for being a twin peaks reference.

Willie
September 11th 2012

This is an awesome album. Glad you got around to reviewing it.

Digging: Teramaze - Esoteric Symbolism

Eko
September 12th 2012

woah I've listened to these guys casually in the past and thought they were boring, guess I'll try again

Digging: The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream

iswimfast
September 12th 2012

Sounds awesome. Wish I could find it somewhere.

Digging: Chevelle - La Gargola

this reminds me of Make Do and Mend...i hated MD&M's latest

but this...this sounds good. hopefully i'll get the whole thing soon, and I hope it holds up for a whole album.

Irving
September 12th 2012

My mental image of you Knott (despite me having you on Fb and all) is basically Frank Turner in an England/Team GB jersey.

So yeah.