Hooverphonic
A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular

by Kristof B. USER (5 Reviews)
September 10th, 2012 | 16 replies | 1,683 views

Release Date: 1997 | Tracklist

Review Summary: With their debut, Hooverphonic have crafted a solid, coherent but varied trip-hop album, providing the base for their future sound.

Hooverphonic is band with a turbulent history and a varied discography. Throughout its history, the band has had five different vocalists and experimented in the trip-hop, ambient, pop, indie, alt rock and psychedelic genres. However, the core of the band’s sound was largely established in the early years of its existence. Hooverphonic was founded in 1995 as Hoover (this name was quickly changed due to legal issues) around producer/programmer/self-proclaimed genius Alex Callier. The subject of this review is their debut, A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular, a solid offering of trip-hop, which was still a rather new genre at the time.

The album kicks off with "Inhaler", probably also the best song on it. Mellow beats, subtle guitar playing and excellent vocals are tied together with various electronically generated sounds to yield a warm, fuzzy song. The next song, "2 Wicky", is built on top of a sample from Burt Bacharach’s "Walk On By" (performed by Ike Hayes, who also performed the sample on which Portishead’s "Gory Box" is based). Were "Inhaler" is warm, "2 Wicky" is ice-cold: you better be sure before you leave me for another one/you can hurt me/I can hurt you, as the vocals go, and spacy (emphasized by the video clip). The rest of the album is composed using the same basic ingredients as the first two songs, but they all have something giving them their own identity, like "Wardrope’s" samba beats. All the common elements make the album flow nicely, so that even weaker songs like Cinderella don’t disturb the overall experience.

But the clear highlight are the vocals. Liesje Sadonius already was Hooverphonic’s second vocalist (the first, Esther Lybeert, only performed on some demo’s) but she is also one the best in the history of the band: her soft and sensual vocals are what lifts this album from ‘good’ to ‘excellent’, adding a soul to each song. Liesje’s voice is what makes the songs work, individually, but also by tying the album together as the coherent whole it is. Liesje left after making this album, which is a shame, but it also marks the start of the band’s evolution as this eventually resulted in the addition of Geike Arnaert as new vocalist.

The album has a few weak points: "Cinderella" is a rather boring song and its Spanish parlando eventually becomes a bit annoying. "Sarangi", on the other hand, contains lots of sound effects, but these are quite irritating, rather than interesting and they can’t hide the song itself is not very memorable (although Liesje’s vocals are great as always). All in all, however, most songs are good to great and, more importantly, they work well as a whole.

With their debut Hooverphonic have crafted a solid, coherent but varied album. The band’s sophomore album, Blue Wonder Power Milk, will introduce some additional experimentation and variation to the sound. Combined with the amazing new vocalist Geike Arnaert, this will become Hooverphonic’s defining album, completing its musical palette. Just remember that Blue Wonder Power Milk is a natural progression from this, their debut.

September 10th 2012

My first review, I have really no idea how it is, quality wise. So any comments are appreciated.

And some obvious links:
Inhaler: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLUzcLykRS8
2 Wicky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcBT6sgRa-8

Digging: A Made Up Sound - Night Owl

Voivod

Good review, pos.

I know this band only by name.

Digging: Mekong Delta - In A Mirror Darkly

September 10th 2012

Thanks for the pos! Didn't the review feel a bit cheesy? That's the idea I got after re-reading it now. Oh well, this is the band I started with when I decided to seriously begin discovering music on my own. So there's some emotion here.

If you like any of my recommended albums you could give this a spin, although I must say that Blue Wonder Power Milk is better than this, guess that'll be my next review.

Voivod
September 10th 2012

I don't think that the review is cheesy, at least not in the degree you are implying.

Ok, thanks. ;-)

September 10th 2012

Eh, I wasn't feeling this too much

Digging: Gamma Ray - Empire of the Undead

scissorlocked
September 10th 2012

good album and good first review

Digging: Fantastic Mr Fox - Sketches

Awesome album.

Digging: Flesh Field - Strain

December 30th 2012

Assuming you don't like cheese and syrup - you've got a weird definition of cheese.

December 30th 2012

Well, together they must be awful, no?

December 30th 2012

True, but this is one of their better albums if other reviews/ratings are to be believed.

December 31st 2012

Their best are "Blue Wonder Power Milk" and "The President of the LSD Golf Club". But this also great. The other albums all have more flaws, but they all have great moments.

December 31st 2012

Right now I'm partial to this vocalist and style, plan on checking out the others though especially the psychedelic one.

Willie
December 31st 2012

Hooverphonic is awesome, but they get weird from here on out. If you like this singer and style more, you should listen to Lunascape. Their singer filled in for this band when they were between vocalists.

Digging: Teramaze - Esoteric Symbolism

January 1st 2013

I'm planning on checking out most of the similar artists, thanks for the rec!

Shuyin
November 26th 2013

i could have sex with the first half of the album

Digging: All the Empires of the World - Sunscraper