Galneryus
Advance To The Fall

by King Henry VIII USER (63 Reviews)
September 6th, 2012 | 5 replies

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: After an amazing performance on their debut, Galneryus strikes back with just as much energy solidifying their signature brand of power metal.

The neo-classical power metal outfit from Osaka, Japan somewhere along the line can be described as stereotypical. The main reason why is because most of their sound is centered on shredding… from everyone. Needless to say, it isn’t mindless wankery. However, it can come off as that, mainly because most of their songs are very, very similar to each other in structure and style - though they can change it up a bit. What I’ve been noticing over the past few weeks is that Galneryus are one of those special bands that make the listener listen intently, especially if you’re getting into them. So my main advice is to take your time with Galneryus when looking into them. In this case, Advance to the Fall may not be a great introduction album as a whole, but it holds some of Galneryus’s best songs that are worth mentioning to get started on this band.

In Advance to the Fall we see a slowdown from their debut, though it does have clear energetic songs; there’s just a significant measure of upbeat songs compared to their debut. Having that said, Advance to the Fall also shows experimentations with slower paced riffs along with other sections that weren’t shown on their debut with songs like “Fate of the Sadness” and “The Scenery”, which will start a new approach in different songs in proceeding albums. But don’t get your hopes down just yet; the album still has upbeat and in-your-face songs like “Ancient Rage” which has Galneryus at its primetime on the album, regardless of the others. Though, other songs like “Silent Revelation”, “Quiet Wish”, or “Whisper in the Red Sky” still have awesome note worthy moments that are indisputable highlights in the album and the band’s discography.

Furthermore, the most enjoyable part of the album is its consistency. Even if some songs like “Fate of Sadness” have a bland structure, it’s still safe to say that the solos and the chorus is what saved the song from falling into the abyss of other generic power metal songs. Thankfully, songs like the before-mentioned are very limited in mass, because practically every song is catchy while being filled with interesting solos that dominate the song 60% of the time.

In conclusion, Advance to the Fall is another hard hitting album by Galneryus that has a numerous amount of classic Galneryus moments. The only problem I see with this album is due to the fact that not everyone will fully appreciate it for what it’s worth – metal heads and power metal fans alike, but in all due respect, it’s worth anyone’s time.

Recommended Songs:

Edguy Space Police - Defenders of the CrownPowerwolf Preachers of the Night
Dark Tranquillity ConstructGamma Ray Master of Confusion
Stratovarius NemesisIn the Silence A Fair Dream Gone Mad

September 6th 2012

Tell me if i need to fix any mistakes I made that I didn't catch.

September 6th 2012

I love the way how 5 other reviews just got posted right after mine..... I think it's a conspiracy.

RunOfTheMill
September 8th 2012

I enjoyed your review a lot more than your last Galneryus one, much easier and nicer to read. One thing that irks me about your review is the second half of the second paragraph. You describe "Ancient Rage" as primetime, only on the basis that it's an upbeat and in-your-face song. As well, the last sentence doesn't really explain why you think those songs are good.

This is a great album, though. I really like "Silent Revelation"/"Ancient Rage", "Deep Affection" and "Dream Place". And you're totally right about the album having a great consistency. Even though it's 64 minutes long, I can listen to the album all the way through without getting bored.

September 8th 2012

Thanks for your advice man.

FrozenVain
November 17th 2012

Galneryus is a really awesome band and I'm really glad you did reviews for their albums so I could find them.