Beloved
Failure On

by Ecnalzen USER (17 Reviews)
September 5th, 2012 | 32 replies | 3,262 views

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A great album that suffers a bit from having tracks that sound a little too much like each other.

Beloved's time was short in the musical world. Their first and only LP was a treat, even if it took several listens for the tracks to really start standing out individually. Every so often I remember thinking, “Didn’t I just hear this?” Weirdly enough; they were all so good that I almost didn’t care. The transitions are very smooth between the melodic and the hardcore, and, sometimes, they were so well done it took me a second to realize they had shifted into the heavier sections or back into the melodic areas. It’s just that several of the songs have similar set-ups with the way the vocals and instruments are done that diminishes the overall experience.

One of the things that bothers me about the album is that the vocals tend to be sectioned off from each other. The screaming is very well done and the cleans are decent enough, but it's just too bad they hardly ever mixed the two by swapping back and forth or overlapping them (except for a few parts of “Death to Traitors”), especially since the vocals are done by two different band members. The singing is always with the more melodic parts and the screaming is (for the most part) always with the heavier parts. Maybe it would have added some variety if they tried singing a line then have a screamed vocal line, or have 3 singing vocal lines and end it with a screamed line , etc. This way there would be some singing in a heavier section or some screaming in a melodic section. It just could have used a little more; I am going to go with the phrase, “vocal diversity.” This is probably why the band got labeled as a “breakdown band.” I was reading up on them a little bit before I got a hold of the album, and I saw some form or another of this sentence fairly often: “I am not typically a fan of bands that use a lot of breakdowns, but Beloved pulls it off quite nicely.” That, they do.

There are a few times when the melodic and hardcore parts are mixed in together with the instrumentation, except the fact that they are all done almost exactly the same. “Watching the Lines Blur”, "Rise and Fall", “Inner Pattern” are good examples, having the rhythm guitar hitting the heavy, repeated palm muted riff, while the lead guitar plays a more melodic, distorted riff that rings out over the top of it. I also noticed a lot of the tracks that sound similar seem like they are grouped together. Maybe if the track listing had been changed up a bit, the CD might have sounded like it had more variety. The heavier songs with the most screaming are towards the front of the album, while the tracks with more clean-vocals and less breakdowns are shifted towards the end, except for “Insult to Injury.”

The album really is quite good, if you can get past the “same-old, same-old” feeling that some of the tracks give off. The vocals, guitars and drums all do a fine job, but the bass does seem like it got a little lost in the mix. It’s too bad this was their only full-length release. They might have had something really special going on if they had a chance to make another album or two to figure out what kind of sound they wanted and have some musical growth. Instead, we will just have to settle for looking back fondly on ten tracks of post-hardcore goodness and wonder what could have been.

City and Colour The Hurry And The HarmTrucker Diablo Songs of Iron
Vocal Few Tall TreesThe Computers Love Triangles Hate Squares
Halifax The Inevitability of a Strange WorldAnberlin Vital
jesusjuice1179 (4.5)
The August Burns Red of post-hardcore...

Dante Alighieri (4)

wacknizzle
September 5th 2012

Good review, it's been ages since I've heard this. I'm definitely gonna give it a spin later today.

Digging: Systems - Ghost Medicine

sspedding
September 5th 2012

review is pretty decent, you get the general gist of things. Album is class in my book, raw, emotive and a benchmark for
post hardcore. Rise & Fall is in my top 5 favourite songs ever.pos

September 5th 2012

I think they were still trying to figure things out on this record. I bet they would have really hit their stride with another album or two underneath their belt.

captaincrunch11
September 5th 2012

I love this album. Will definitely give this a spin again.

sixdegrees

yeah, it rules

Digging: Ted Nugent - Shutup&jam!

September 17th 2012

It's great stuff, I just wish they would have stuck around a little longer.

Pndi
October 10th 2012

review is spot on. pos

October 10th 2012

Thanks, Pndi.

thelastsignal
December 18th 2012

Awesome review man, pos'd. I recently got back into these guys, absolutely loved their sound. Incredibly passionate and I love that they were not too afraid to be too melodic or too harsh in any one moment. I agree, they could have been even more special with a few more albums under their belt.

Digging: Mastodon - Once More 'Round the Sun

December 18th 2012

Thanks. I didn't find out about them until earlier this year. I was immediately bummed when I found they weren't together anymore after I was introduced to a few songs.

Oh, if they could have made at least one more album. I bet it would have been sooooo goooood.

Fluttertrank

this rules.

Scoot

good shit miroki

Digging: Unjust - Glow

Fluttertrank

miroki?

February 24th 2013

Yeah, I like it pretty well too.

Funeralopolis
April 3rd 2013

damn not even a page of comments

Digging: RATKING - So It Goes

BigPleb

Sup bro

mursu
April 3rd 2013

Death To Traitors and Rise & Fall are my favorite songs here. This album is pretty good, but it's just way too long.

Digging: 3 - The Ghost You Gave To Me

April 3rd 2013

"damn not even a page of comments"

I didn't have much of a site "presence" when I wrote this. I could probly still say that now tho, lol. Plus, it seems that not a whole lotta ppl here know who this band was.