Lynyrd Skynyrd
Last Of A Dyin' Breed

by Alex Beebe USER (126 Reviews)
September 2nd, 2012 | 37 replies | 5,820 views

Review Summary: Not as irrelevant as one would assume.

The title of the album itself speaks a certain truth, country music and country pop may currently have a bit of a stranglehold on the mainstream music world with artists such as Jason Aldean and Eric Church greatly prospering from their contemporary brand of the polished blues-pop ballads and twanging backwoods radio-anthems, but grimy and roots-heavy southern rock with gritty hard rock riffs and racy redneck party themes isn’t too terribly important anymore. Aside from some modern hard rock acts such as Theory of a Deadman and the dreaded Nickelback infusing influences from this sound in an occasional single, the southern rock breed that Lynyrd Skynyrd is a part of isn’t the current musical representation of the south, and is barely surviving without any other artists that fully embrace the sound and authentically embodies the lifestyle the music spawns from.

Fortunately, Lynryd Skynyrd have decided to attempt to adjust themselves to the current times for the thirteenth studio album under the bands name, and have in the process found a comfortable balance between the inspirational heavy southern rock of their glory days, and the modern equivalent those glory days have influenced.

Skynyrd expectedly plays by the book of the southern rock they brought to popularity (and that in turn gave them fame) that they have stayed true to and proud of for the past several decades. This is necessary in order please longtime followers which may be the only audience they have left at this point in their career. However, the rockers have taken notes of the sound’s current incarnation and strike sufficient middle-ground that modernizes their sound in a way that gives Skynyrd a strong and nimble performance while paying respects to their area of expertise.

It’s pleasantly surprising how young the group sounds on the album, age isn’t a deteriorating factor that comes into play. The music to be found on Last of a Dyin’ Breed isn’t a refresher for the southern rock genre by any means, but Skynyrd definitely sounds revitalized and fueled, and not as outdated as they could sound. This will undoubtedly please as many as it possibly can, as long time fans will not be put off by Skynyd attempting to be “hip”, and the bursts of energy that Skynyrd posses definitely benefits the appeal of the music and makes it a more enjoyable record. What’s important to note is that on their latest outing, Lynyrd Skynyrd doesn’t sound like a washed-up and burned-out band that album after album keeps trying to wring drops out of a dry rag of a genre.

Though, restored spirit aside, the album is typically unremarkable southern rock fare. Songs are predictable and forgettable with both the album’s thematic and musical aspects coming as no surprise track after track. The flames of southern heat aren’t as scorching as they used to be, and this record doesn’t have anything remotely close to spectacular ventures that will instill popularity of southern rock into the mainstream eye, but it has definitely showed that Lynyd Skynyrd has not lost any steam, and indicates that they do not plan on slowing to a halt any time soon.

In the end, it may seem a bit outdated, and a bit irrelevant, but it could sound much more outdated, much more irrelevant, and ultimately much worse if the performance quality was lacking, but is far from it in the case of this album. Irrelevancy only really affects the quality of the music in the event of it being in mundane fashion, and even though Skynyrd has made the only record they know how to make here, they seem to still have a burning passion for what they do, which raises them up above the career slump known as age, and into an albeit mediocre at best realm, but an impressive one for the extent of the genre, the modern age, and themselves.

Les Claypool's Duo de Twang Four Foot ShackPeriphery Clear
Nickelback The Best of Nickelback Volume 1Eminem The Marshall Mathers LP 2
Active Child RaporJustin Timberlake The 20/20 Experience 2 of 2
good

September 2nd 2012

Lynyrd Skynyrd isn't my kind of music at all, but I was still interested in hearing how
this album would hold up. There's some minor things I wanted to say about this
album that I couldn't figure out how to put, but they were insignificant little details
anyway. First time reviewing a record like this, so feedback is always welcome. Also,
inb4 Freebird.

Digging: Glassjaw - Everything You Ever Wanted To Know...

Graveyard
September 2nd 2012

lol people still listen to this band?

September 2nd 2012

HOLY FUCK, THEY STILL EXIST?

September 2nd 2012

@Graveyard No, haha. Honestly, I'm pretty positive that I'm the only person (aside
from other critics) who's not a die-hard Lynyrd Skynyrd fan that bothered to listen
to this album. It got like absolutely zero publicity as well, so that didn't help.

September 2nd 2012

I've never heard anything I've ever liked from these guys.

September 2nd 2012

Like I said, based off of my personal tastes, they're anything but my cup of tea either, but I gotta put bias aside and look at it fairly. My parents sure love this band though, which comes as no surprise lol.

September 2nd 2012

Yeah, it's dad/mom rock for sure. Didn't most of the members die too?

SgtPepper
September 2nd 2012

I'm pretty big on 60's and 70's rock but I could never get into these guys. Though "Freebird" is awesome. There's not debating that.

September 2nd 2012

Freebird is okay, I guess. Neat guitar work.

September 2nd 2012

@oWhoadYo Yup, plane accident I believe. I was originally going to comment saying
that I was aware that most of the original lineup died, just in case it didn't seem like
I did when I was discussing their past in the review, but then I realized, no one on
this site gives a fuck rofl.

September 2nd 2012

Yeah, my latest reviews went virtually unnoticed. I know that feel.

September 2nd 2012

Oh hey Hernan what's up? Also, cat is out of the bag, FREEEEEEEEEBIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRD!!!!!!

SgtPepper

Hey Alex.
Nice work on the review. Like I said, I've never been a fan of the band, but my obsession with classic rock wasnt going to let me ignore this. POS'd.

September 2nd 2012

Your summary is quite a bit ironic.

September 2nd 2012

@PaperbackWriter As always, thanks man. I gotta be honest though, I'm really not
too satisfied with how this review turned out. I think it's pretty evident in the review
that I was REALLY struggling to come up with words to describe what southern rock
sounds like.

September 2nd 2012

Also oWhoadYo, don't get me wrong dude, it's pretty irrelevant, but like I said, it could be a lot worse, trust me.

September 2nd 2012

Haha alright. If like Sinead O'Connor made a new album?

HOLY SHIT SHE DID.

September 2nd 2012

DUDE, I HEARD THAT WHEN IT CAME OUT BACK IN FEBURARY. Bleeeeeeggghhhhh soooooooo bland.

September 2nd 2012

It's not even gonna take off. It'll blow up on the runway.