Infected Mushroom
Vicious Delicious

by IceColdSunshine USER (9 Reviews)
September 1st, 2012 | 20 replies | 6,935 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Maybe not be everyone's cup of coffee, but undeniably one of the most powerful and innovative psy-trance albums of all time.

Of all the albums I’ve ever owned, whether CD, mp3, or tape cassette (I’m not quite old enough to have ever had anything on vinyl), Vicious Delicious is by far my favourite. It is the first Infected album I’ve ever heard, and has been with me since 2008, when I first took an interest in electronic music.

In 2008, I was 16 years old, and was really into metal and hard rock, and all things related. I became interested in electronica when I saw Aphex Twin’s music video for “Come To Daddy,” which sent me on a search to find more music that would melt my brain which bizarre synths and sound effects, while still satisfying my craving for that heavy metal distortion sound that I loved so dearly.

So, after all that, you can imagine my delight when I stumbled across such wonders as “Heavyweight,” Suliman,” and “Becoming Insane,” three psytrance-based tracks slathered with heavy rock riffs that get stuck in your head for days and days. After doing some research on the album, and especially after seeing that the cover art had been designed by David Ho, using the same morbid Asian girl from Seether’s album, Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces, I knew I had to get it on my CD shelf.

Don’t get me wrong, though; I didn’t buy the album just for three tracks mentioned above, one of which was a radio hit single, and the cover art. That would be kind of superficial, wouldn’t it? No, I had a long, thorough listen to the album as a whole, multiple times before actually going out and spending money on it, and the three features that made me fall in love with it are as follows:
1. The musical experience. Each track flows beautifully with both the following track and the previous. Nearly every track blends into the next one, although sometimes it’s not as obvious as in others. This gives the album a unifying quality, making it seem much more like an experience, or a journey, if you will, rather than a mere playlist.
2. Variety and versatility. Each track on the album is unique in its own right, yet still maintains that signature Infected soundscape that makes each track both mind-bending and dance-inducing at the same time. In addition, each track seems to have a special feature that makes it stand out from the other tracks, such as the smorgasbord of heavy but catchy guitar riffs in “Suliman,” the build-up in “Vicious Delicious,” which may be the longest, most intense and emotional build-up I have ever heard, and the build-up in “Special Place,” which gradually picks up tempo as it goes on, but constantly adds more and more layers of percussion throughout, making it seem like the tempo isn’t actually increasing, but consistently resetting itself, like a motorcycle shifting gears.
3. Heavyweight. If, for some reason, the rest of the tracks don’t appeal to your senses, this one might just make you change your opinion. I would require a full page just to explain everything I love about this track, but briefly speaking, from the looming “danger overhead” tone set by the ominous “gongs” in the beginning, to the orchestral guitar synths and modulated vocal samples, to the sudden change in mood dead in the center of the song, which leads up to one of the most profound and passionate guitar solos of the decade, this near 9-minute musical manifesto of emotional havoc is an adventure all on its own.

There are, however, some short tracks on the album that stand out from the rest, which potential listeners should be warned of. These include the melancholy rock ballad known as “In Front of Me,” as well as “Artillery,” the hip-hop track featuring Swollen Members, made famous by the Adam Sandler movie You Don’t Mess With The Zohan, and the pop-oriented, semi-sarcastic anthem called “Forgive Me.” Tracks like these, which stray unnervingly far from the band’s psytrance roots, may be a problem for some of their earlier fans.

This album may never get the review it deserves, but I think it’s sufficient for now to say that while it is a far cry from Infected Mushroom’s more “pure” psychedelic works, Vicious Delicious is still one of their most powerful albums to date. The variety of genres explored in this album makes it a widely accessible piece of electronic art, opening up more minds to the psychedelic side of electronica than ever before.

Skrillex RecessSubliminal Stimuli W32.MyDoom@MM
Kreayshawn Somethin' 'Bout KreayCaustic Window Joyrex J9
Infected Mushroom Intelligate/Small MovesCaustic Window Joyrex J9

September 1st 2012

My bro my work digs this, pos

Digging: Kangding Ray - Solens Arc

Brostep
September 1st 2012

Love this album. Is the new one (Army of Mushrooms) as good? I've heard less-than-positive things about it...

DarkNoctus
September 1st 2012

it's like grating my brain :[

Digging: Darkspace - Dark Space III I

Acanthus
September 1st 2012

Album is perfect. That being said, I hate when people over play this at shows/venues.

Digging: Falls of Rauros - The Light That Dwells in Rotten Wood

Deviant.
September 1st 2012

I never understood what people saw in these guys. I find their stuff to just be really boring and derivative

Digging: LV and Joshua Idehen - Islands

September 1st 2012

classical mushroom has some good tracks but yea agreed

Digging: Invisible - El jardin de los presentes

YankeeDudel
September 1st 2012

They're good when you're high

Digging: Walknut - Graveforests And Their Shadows

Deviant.

Yeah, but so can 90% of all music

mindleviticus
September 2nd 2012

Viciously tedious is what it is.

Digging: Cultes Des Ghoules - Henbane

Acanthus
September 2nd 2012

@Dev - I'm not sure myself sir, perhaps it was a generational thing when raves were still around?

I enjoy psytrance so this is fun for me.

NightProwler
September 2nd 2012

Remember when this came out, and yeah much better when you're high. I enjoyed it's follower even more, though - Legend of the Black Shawarma.

Digging: Mineral - The Power Of Failing

666Micrograms
January 29th 2013

Only high. Only. only only only only

DarkNoctus
January 29th 2013

you can convince yourself anything is good when you're high so what's the point

YankeeDudel
January 29th 2013

yea but id say psychedelic music much moreso no?

666Micrograms
January 30th 2013

not really actually. honestly when I'm tripping hard, classicaly inspired music like Kayo Dot, or extremely complex music like Blotted Science is the best. When you can hear EVERYTHING, bands' music takes a
whole nother form. Unless your REAALLY high, in which case something simple and dreamy like pink floyd is best served in a hammock 'neath a summers' afternoon

LungButter
September 1st 2013

Saw these guys last night. They closed with Becoming Insane which made my night. Oh yea, and a 3D laser/light show built into the stage. Amazing stuff, twas candy flippin hard that night.

MAGNIFICENT