Nerve
ep4

by Will Robinson STAFF
September 1st, 2012 | 12 replies | 1,437 views

Review Summary: An intensely dark and consuming fusion of jazz and electronic.

As a claustrophobe, the idea of being in a gradually enclosing tunnel terrifies me. You can’t see the end or the beginning of the tunnel, so it’s pitch-black. And in that pitch-black, you’re crawling on your hands and knees, trying to find some glimpse of light, some sign that the tunnel is widening out and you won’t be trapped much longer. But that sign doesn’t come, and the tunnel keeps going on and on, and getting smaller and smaller. And all the while you fear that eventually you’ll be trapped in a section where you’ve gotten yourself stuck and you can’t move because the tunnel is so small. It honestly scares me to think of a situation where I simply can’t move or see through the impenetrable black, and there’s no sign of anything getting better. The thought that I might die after spending days trapped and unmoving, without food or water or stimulation (except for the occasional drip, drip, drip of water from somewhere behind me, taunting and teasing me) invokes feelings that fill me with panic and almost make me start to shiver with fear. It’s a frightening feeling, and one I hope never to experience in real life.

That feeling is what Nerve has fashioned on their latest release, ep4. The EP ranges from jazz-tinged electronic to electronic-tinged jazz, at times pummeling the listener with wave after wave of distorted and thumping sounds and at times pulling back in favor of ambient music that creates an ethereal feeling of paranoia. It’s a combination of schizophrenic jazz drums, synths that alternate between a more comfortable almost-16-bit sound and eerie distortion, subdued bass, and the occasional trumpet. At best, it’s music that invokes that terrifying claustrophobia I fear so much. A lot of the album’s success lies in extremely talented drummer Jojo Mayer, who struts his stuff with syncopated, irregular beats that intentionally jars the listener and creates a bed of distress upon which the other two members of Nerve (bassist and synth player John Davis and utility man Takuya Nakamura) build monumental instrumentations dedicated to the darkness prevalent throughout the EP. This is especially true on standout track “Fauxtek,” where haphazardly ticking drums help develop a bassline that builds up slowly with pounding, ominous repetition, under almost otherworldly layers of synthesizers. The music starts to fade away briefly at around the three and a half minute mark before a squawking trumpet seems to announce the modified reappearance of the first half that cuts devastatingly through the quiet even more potently than before. “Dubby Tubby” sees the band create a slightly different mood, with a very subtly wobbling synth laid carefully upon a shattered beat that brings in just a touch of IDM to give an almost elusive feeling to the piece. The song is spectral and intangible and gives that beautiful sense of a piece that’s so close to being accessible that its mysterious nature makes it all that much more alluring. Meanwhile, “Them” sounds like it would be home at only the most intelligent of raves, with an intense, dark, and distorted synth lead over almost (but not quite) danceable broken drums attacking the ears of the listener over and over again.

The main thing that feels off about ep4 is that at times Nerve seems to be trying too hard to maintain the frightening feeling that the best songs create so well. For example, on “Blues for Wynton” the drums feel too frantic for their own good, the repetitive synth lead doesn’t jive particularly well with the drums and buzzing trumpet, and the song as a whole fails to concoct powerful emotions, instead feeling confusing and just a little bit out of place. However, the EP as a whole is still a fantastic blend of electronic and jazz, a blend that adeptly summons feelings of panic and claustrophobia. It’s definitely a worthwhile listen, especially to those who are scared of what I described earlier. After all, sometimes you have to face your fears in a controlled environment, and this album is a starting point.

Venetian Snares My Love Is A BulldozerSeven Lions Worlds Apart
Big Freedia Just Be FreeSam Smith In the Lonely Hour
Throwing Snow MosaicFatima Yellow Memories

Album streaming at http://nerve.bandcamp.com/

A very good album, a little out of my comfort zone but good nonetheless. Also I've tried uploading the album art at least 3 times and each time it doesn't work. The file opens up on my computer but when I upload it says "Image thumbnail submitted" and then the album artwork still isn't there. Can someone help out please? The art is here: http://f0.bcbits.com/z/19/65/196517045-1.jpg

September 1st 2012

Also I'll need help with the recs because I have no idea what to recommend.

taylormemer

Done.

You have to wait for any album art submissions to be processed by the moderators (they are all put into a queue).

taylormemer
September 1st 2012

Also, NEVER do this: "I've tried uploading the album art at least 3 times and each time it doesn't work", not only for the reason outlined above, but also because it often leads to bugging out the site leaving you not only without an image, but one (basically a white square) which takes a lot longer to fix.

GiaNXGX
September 1st 2012

Great review, I'll check this guys out. I really liked the opening paragraph, very interesting & well written, I'm also *claustrophobic. Pos'd

September 1st 2012

Thanks for the positive feedback!

And I wasn't aware that art had to be processed, sorry. I'll keep that in mind for next time.

ThrashTillDeath94

Good work bro. Pos'd

Omaha
September 1st 2012

Fantastic review as always, man. This sounds like awesome stuff.

Digging: Deniro Farrar - Rebirth

September 1st 2012

Thanks - my thoughts are that the more I review, the better I'll get. So I'm just gonna put in time practicing different stuff and see what happens! As for the music itself, Omaha, "Scientific Playground" is kinda similar to the Koi. you reviewed earlier, but the rest of the EP is quite different.

Omaha
September 1st 2012

Sweet man. Where did you hear about this album?

September 1st 2012

I went to Bandcamp and this album was in the top 5 (still is). Kinda random but I figured I'd like it, and I did

Jethro42
September 2nd 2012

Glad to see some nerve covered. I'm a big fan of their drummer Jojo Mayer, the ''modern Buddy Rich''.