Robinson
Robinson EP

by Dancin' Man USER (40 Reviews)
February 5th, 2006 | 8 replies | 4,083 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Robinson are the way "it" should be done. They bring spazziness into grind in such a way that it is still grind, but not boring. We all know how a grind song can be 25 seconds long and still one of the most boring pieces of music ever written. Robinson learned how not to do that. By adding in technical riffs and writing to keep things interesting, we are left with a glory filled 8 minute EP.

My first exposure to Robinson was live in Syracuse. At the time I didn't know who they were but that I liked them and the singer was fat with a bald spot. These remain my basic feelings towards the band but now I forgive Mike for his girth and hair.

The intro is very cool in that it is basically slow chords with blasts done more like crecendos than solid blasts of noise. Then we get 2 which begins with a tight drum fill and left/right guitar work. It is easy to hear how proficient each band member is. The mix while clearly not crystal clear is well done. Nothing is lost, including the bas and the fact that it is as clear as it is means that we would be able to hear any blunders in technicality. Maybe writing such short songs makes it easy to just keep recording until it's perfect but having seen them live I can say they they actually know what is going on. This is another reason Robinson > most other grind. They know what they are doing and playing rather than just hitting random notes.

Another big plus is that Robinson not only claim bands like Isis and Red Sparowes as influences but you can hear it in both 1, 6 and 7 very clearly. Overall though, each song is solid and shows that while they may play grind, they listen to and understand other music. Like I said before, this is the way "it" should be done.

Anyone living in the northeastern US should be able to attend one of their shows because they play ALOT.

Verse AggressionTool 10,000 Days
Found Dead Hanging Dulling Occam's RazorJob for a Cowboy Doom
Me and Him Call It Us The (C:) Drive Of Love StoriesEphel Duath The Painter's Palette

The Great City

Zebra
February 6th 2006

Your review was extremely short yet detailed, I don't know how you do it but you did a good job.
I've never heard of this and I'm not much of a fan of grind. Sounds interesting, does Robinson have a full length album?

LOOK Daean said
February 6th 2006

holy shit. these guys are insane & amazing. check them out at: www.myspace.com/robinson

where can i get this album possibly?This Message Edited On 02.06.06

Dancin' Man
February 7th 2006

At a show maybe but I have a feeling they are all out. I got this as a burned copy from a friend. I don't feel like a terrible pirate though because I've paid to see them 3 times now I think.

AlienEater
February 7th 2006

your the reason for the demise of the music industry--you should be dancin' in jail for tha act of music piracy.
Nice review, it was short but it was detailed. You need to fix the tracklist (or do they have no names)

Dancin' Man
February 7th 2006

Blow me. I support this band. Not only have I given them money for shows but now also added more focus towards them. Also, those are the track names. I hope you rot in hell with Lars Ulrich incessantly playing out of time.

AlienEater
February 8th 2006

I was being sarcastic

LOOK Daean said
February 9th 2006

hmm i want this album, but don't live in the north, plus i doubt these guys care about pirating, they just want to be heard.

Rationalist
November 16th 2009

Firstly, they're from Ohio.
Secondly, this EP is amazing, but their LP is much better.
Thirdly, their merch from Debello Recordings (www.debellorec.com I believe, it's on their myspace page) is pretty cool.
Fourthly, yhis band is better than Gaza. END.