The Ghost Inside
Get What You Give

1.5
very poor

by a est . . i . c el USER (23 Reviews)
August 31st, 2012 | 82 replies | 4,870 views

Review Summary: Excellent delivery of a fundamentally shitty genre

At this point in their careers the band members of The Ghost Inside should've faced a common dilemma, "how do you follow your best release?" this record was Returners, a very above average work lyrically and musically. Where most bands fail in matching their best album with their follow-up, TGI basically did so, Get What you Give is just as enjoyable & good. Any modern hardcore fan will be pleased as this act pretty much delivers everything he wished; great screams and shouts, heavy breakdowns, melodic sections, above average drumming, tight musicianship and even some clean vocals. a) But is Get What you Give a remarkable album? b) Does it walks through the dirty roads of experimentation or it just carefully follows the safe- delivering path?

a) GWYG is a remarkable album, not for it’s originality (to be fair: NONE), but for it’s execution. Guitars are well placed, drumming fills excellently, great vocals are also there as well, bass… (I don’t know) and all of this is enchanced by a good production. To mention one song “This is What I know about Sacrifice” I don’t really care about how Jonathan Vigil shouts “Meet me at the crossroads” the song title aims at something else, double meaning… A transition from their melodic hardcore roots to a current slamming metalcore sound. This metalcore sound delivers completely, songs like “Engine 45” will captivate you with their catchy hooks and ironically pessimist lyrics, while other tracks “Dark Horse” & “White Light” will keep you begging for more thanks to their catchy choruses and deadweight heavy breakdowns. Of course this is a modern metalcore album so there are certain problems:

• The over usage of breakdowns on all of its songs.

• The production (however good) is not on par with Returners mastering, the guitars are often too loud & the bass is nowhere to be found.

• A fair amount of filler songs that are sure to please metalcore tough boy-hooligans but don’t contribute anything good, at all.

• Sometimes the band seems to be just a mere rip-off of Stick To Your Guns & its relatives, and that doesn’t helps.

• Needs more avant-garde & some maudlin of the Well influence, Miles Davis and Godspeed as well.

The Ghost inside is the same band that wrote Returners for sure, their stylistic approach might have changed now but the results are quite similar. Long gone can be the more hardcore-tinged drumming from Returners, instead we are given a tight, heavy & great delivery that will leave an always fun, groovy taste in our mouths. That‘s just one example of how their instrumental approach has changed “But hey, if it’s not broken don’t fix it”. The Ghost inside are not looking for questions, they are paraphrasing answers & because the answers they copied are good - the music itself turns out to be pretty good b) even when this obviously is not a very original record, the goal was to deliver - and it does excellently. This band don't gave birth to any hardcore classic but if they continue playing so well, I don’t see any problems if they eventually get very close. Obviously The Ghost Inside are not unleashing Jane Doe upon this world, this is Get What you Give, and if you give this proper listens, not expecting much… Your reward will be one of the most enjoyable modern metalcore records.

Recommended Tracks
White Light
Dark Horse
Slipping Away
Engine 45

Taku Unami and Takahiro Kawaguchi Teatro AssenteThe Caretaker Theoretically Pure Anterograde Amnesia
Alfred Schnittke Psalms of RepentanceTuluum Shimmering Ulau Tau / Spirit Of The Sun
Tuluum Shimmering Raag Wichikapache / Lake of MapangAutechre Untilted
TheGooseTavern (4)
Saturation plagues the hardcore genre to this day, but The Ghost Inside face it head on and come out...

Jeremy Bentham (4)
A natural progression for a band that ascends even further on its upward climb...

WeepingBanana

so good he posted it 3 times

19479 Comments

LOL, the sites having issues right now don't think it's his fault.

Digging: The Who - Tommy

Xenophanes
August 31st 2012

this is so fucking cosmic I think I just shat infinity

Digging: United Nations - The Next Four Years

Crysis

next time i do a 5 review im gonna post it 5 times in a row

Digging: Ulver - Bergtatt

August 31st 2012

I think the production on this rules, McKinnon did a great job. The drops in Engine 45 are flawless

August 31st 2012

Sorry guys, my fault... I submited the review and it didn't showed up on the "user reviews" panel so I thought something went wrong and decided to upload it once again, 2 hours later & 2 reviews show up, how do you delete a review?

Please help :]

breakingthefragile
August 31st 2012

Rofl what the fuck is wrong with the site right now? It's posting people's comments 2 times in a row, and now people's reviews two times in a row? lol.

Digging: Glassjaw - Everything You Ever Wanted To Know...

August 31st 2012

Damn how does this have so many ratings I've never even heard of it

Deviant.

Digging: FaltyDL - In The Wild

Fluttertrank

lmao got him

19479 Comments

I've only heard the song they had on the 2012 warped tour compilation but it wasn't bad.

August 31st 2012

Post in the meds thread, the same place you went when you got banned for plagiarism.

Ok, you are such a friendly user btw :]

Fixed :]

And fuck you

August 31st 2012

Who the hell plagiarizes music reviews lol

August 31st 2012

Who plagiarizes music reviews lol

Calc

12028 Comments

your refusal to proofread any of your reviews is annoying

Digging: Kashiwa Daisuke - April. #02

August 31st 2012

Stray away from putting recommended tracks at the end of reviews, that should be part of the review integrated organically ya know

Lenix

or in a soundoff

You're not missing a lot, Trebs.