Dads
American Radass (This Is Important)

by C.F. USER (18 Reviews)
August 28th, 2012 | 89 replies | 11,740 views

Review Summary: Twinkle hard.

So, Algernon Cadwallader just broke up. Bummer. Like their cohorts before them, they stuck around for a few years leaving behind a limited catalogue and developing a passionate following in the process. I mean really passionate. While Algernon were around, they provided any sweaty kid that cared to listen with a show in any smelly basement that cared to let them play, shouting their greasy faces off and basking in their unshowered glory. Never before has this reviewer seen such a devout fanbase for a band with such a short tenure. But as the genre suffers this blow, who will carry the torch? New Jersey duo, Dads, with their album American Radass show that they can dazzle our ears with intricate guitar melodies and melt our hearts with intense catharsis with the best of them.

Every song on this album is teeming with pure, unbridled emotion. Dads leave the impression that they care because they want to care. It's emotion for emotion's sake, and nothing is wrong with that. Between the fuzzed-up noisy onslaught of "Get To The Beach" and the slow burners like this album's 7-minute centerpiece "*** Twins", every feeling that each song portrays seems to exist on its own accord. Proclamations like "Turns out you're right / and I'm not sorry / blood, sweat and tears / that's what's keeping me here" show that this album is not burdened by emotion but rather celebrates it, boiling down to one of the most feel-good albums of the genre. Even in its moments of melancholy, American Radass is never painful to listen to or bogged-down. As shown in "*** Twins" the lofty, paper-thin orchestration provides any sorrow that Dads' want to deliver with a vehicle in which to float into the hearts of whoever wants to listen. Nothing is strained, nothing is forced; everything is natural and everything is what it wants to be.

Screaming Females What If Someone Is Watching Their TV?Milk Music Cruise Your Illusion
Dicks Hate the PoliceBlack Pus All My Relations
Dillinger Four Midwestern Songs Of The AmericasFind Him And Kill Him You Can't Fuck With the Kids

August 28th 2012

Every song on this album is teeming with pure, unbridled emotion.

seriously the most generic sentence to ever be used in an emo review

anywho, i wrote this a tad tipsy at work. rad album, needed a review, hard. check it out

Curse.
August 28th 2012

Shit review, fire your editor

Digging: The Menzingers - Rented World

Spare

excellent band

auberginedreams
August 28th 2012

yeah this is a good album, although i prefer emo that's just a little less upbeat usually.

Omaha
August 28th 2012

Dude sweet review, I've wanted to see a review for this for awhile.

Digging: Koan Sound - Dynasty

August 28th 2012

thanks man, have you heard it?

LifeAsAChipmunk
August 28th 2012

Yeah, this is a good band.

AbyssalCreation

2023 Comments

Big Bag of Sandwiches

A How I Met Your Mother reference? I think so.

This better than Brush Your Teeth? Thought that was kinda meh.

Omaha
August 28th 2012

Weeping, I heard a decent amount of this once and was a little underwhelmed. It seemed like a 3 then, but I had a feeling it just wasn't the right time to listen to it properly.

August 28th 2012

i haven't heard Brush Your Teeth. Omaha, it definitely takes a few listens to get into, like most emo (i find at least)

i'd also like to point out that from Sept 1st to Nov 10th, Dads are playing a show every single day. that's 71 goddamn shows in a row

nvm they have sept 5th off, my bad. what pussies

lacesout39

Shit Twins is soooo good

Adabelle
August 28th 2012

Would probably enjoy this but too lazy, pos'd though, i like your reviews

scottscharinger
August 28th 2012

Scott from Dads here, thanks for the kind words y'all. Big Bag of Sandwich is not a HIMYM reference, you can read about that here: http://www.sanctuaryreview.com/2012/08/track-by-track-dads-american-radass.html
We're actually extending our tour to mid-December, we just haven't really posted about it or posted the dates, but yeah. It'll be about 110 dates total.

thanks Adabelle.

awesome scott

marksellsuswallets
August 28th 2012

Flannel Gurl is probably the best newer label around right now, everything they've put out this year is solid.

August 28th 2012

Damn I haven't heard this yet

Digging: More Than Life - What's Left Of Me