Minus the Bear
Infinity Overhead

good

by Jacob R. STAFF
August 27th, 2012 | 141 replies | 15,407 views

Review Summary: Minus the Bear continue the quest for that poignancy they once had in their grasp, and with mixed results.

There exist two extreme brands of musicianship: those that push boundaries left and right, and those that craft a sound formula and perfect it. It’s safe to say that Minus the Bear fall into the latter category, constructing album after album of sophisticated lovesongs. There’s no catharsis here, nor any sense of redefining boundaries, so with this knowledge comes an engaging work at best. At worst, though, we have an album that fails to leave a mark, one so lost in its intent that its existence is pretty unnecessary as a whole. Sure, Infinity Overhead stimulates more than its lethargic predecessor, but there’s still a vacancy here that permeates in the album’s clumsy second half, a nagging reminder that Minus the Bear are damn near out of tricks.

There’s plenty of guitar tapping abound, there’s an overarching sense of atmosphere that pervades Infinity Overhead, and there are plenty of unmemorable lyrics from vocalist Jake Snider. What else could possibly be missing from a Minus the Bear release? It really is a shame that Snider doesn’t put forth more of an effort here, because there’s nothing more frustrating than one crewmate not quite holding his weight. His performance dilutes the music’s momentum, and this can be best seen in “Lies and Eyes” where Snider mumbles the same note repeatedly during the verse, where the track is supposed to be building up some sort of emotional tension. Well, deliberately anyhow. If the lyrics were worth it I may be more lenient, but at this point it’s futile to expect anything more than seduction schemes, haphazardly strewn together to the point of queasiness. It’s stupid of me to hope for anything more, granted, but there’s a realist inside me that’s expecting more from the same group that concocted “Throwin’ Shapes” and “Hey! Is That a Ninja Up There?.”

Infinity Overhead is exactly the album that you and I expected it to be, and that should come as no surprise to anyone who’s been paying attention. Minus the Bear aren’t known for their innovation but rather their startling consistency, and in this regard the indie rock outfit have done no wrong with their latest release. However, should we let ourselves be complacent towards such a promising group, or should we hold our standards a wee bit higher as almighty “music reviewers?” I don’t know what the hell the answer to that question may be, but regardless I still have a few reasons to enjoy Infinity Overhead. It’s everything that one would expect from the group - love, sex, and an overwhelming sense of nonchalance.

Fallujah The Flesh PrevailsEvery Time I Die From Parts Unknown
Baths Ocean DeathClosure in Moscow Pink Lemonade
SOHN TremorsSZA Z
3.3
Dan H. CONTRIBUTOR (3)
Flashes of brilliance juxtaposed with imperfections....

SwayzeFaced (4)
The drums lay a foundation that the rest of the band dances around like some sort of demon-possessed...

Alxander19 (3.5)
Combine Omni with Minus The Bear's previous albums, with predictable results....

greencorn5 (3.5)
A very good album worth listening to, but by no means a classic....

Originally posted on http://www.muzikdizcovery.com

Pretty cool album. My review is more critical than I'd anticipated, but that's what happens when we get disappointed right?

Some of the best tracks:

Toska: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHu4XgY-jgs&playnext=1&list=PLAF36D3CC26374C23&feature=results_main
Lies and Eyes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZa5myqCdIM&feature=relmfu
Steel and Blood: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPEh4tf40ro&feature=related

Also, 60th review! :3

LifeAsAChipmunk
August 27th 2012

An Omaha review!! I've actually never listened to this band. I suppose I'll start here.

August 27th 2012

Hey dude! :D Haven't reviewed in a bit, and decided to change that.

This isn't a bad place to start, although I think Beer Commercials may be an even better starting
point. Many others would say Planet of Ice, but I wasn't as much of a fan of it as everyone else was.

You could also check out the songs I posted above for a good taste.

Inveigh
August 27th 2012

really well-written review, but I find myself disagreeing with most of it...

Minus the Bear's first 3-4 releases were all pretty damn innovative, and their lyrics used to be at the very least witty/clever and memorable.

I actually think the end of the album is where this one picks up, at least the last three tracks. Out of the first 7, only Steel and Blood, Diamond Lightning and Toska stand out to me.

Digging: YOB - Clearing The Path To Ascend

August 27th 2012

Thanks man. I've just always had kind of a problem with this group - they've never done anything that I've loved other than Beer Commercials, and that was so brief that it didn't really satisfy me.

This album putters out of fuel (for me) about halfway through - Heaven is a Ghost Town and a couple of the other slower ones are what make it go downhill for me. I'm glad that you enjoyed the later tracks more than I did, man.

And the lyrics just haven't ever done anything for me. I don't recall any of them to be honest - the music's always been much more engaging for me.

August 27th 2012

I'm looking forward to the bonus tracks.

Rev

Great review bro

Album makes me sad. At least we still have Highly Refined Pirates and Planet of Ice.

August 27th 2012

Thanks Dylan! Very true - I can't help but get the feeling that things with Minus the Bear will never change. They're certainly not the most innovative bunch around, that's for sure.

klap
August 27th 2012

i could never really get into this band

Digging: Literature - Chorus

August 27th 2012

Glad I'm not the only one, man. I've only enjoyed them overall, never been hooked really.

dcha
August 27th 2012

3 good songs. Even OMNI had more than that.

Which 3, dcha?

DarthMann

this was cool

AtomicWaste

1985 Comments

I went back and listened to Omni and didn't think it was as awful as I had initially pegged it to be.

I'm not surprised to hear this is mediocre, though. A shame, really, but not a surprise.

Review is solid, have a pos. A couple things came off a little choppy in transition but sometimes it's
hard to make that happen, regardless. Just a note.

Omni is great.

SeaAnemone

19955 Comments

I'm not sure where you get the impression that Minus the Bear have always made music like this, their first few albums are fairly different than this and Omni.

In other news: this fucking sucks, one of the worst records I've heard all year.

Digging: Natural Snow Buildings - The Night Country

Way different.

(HRP+EPS+S/T) (POI) (Omni + IO)

These are the three album groupings

plane

minus the poignancy

SeaAnemone

19955 Comments

Way different.

(HRP+EPS+S/T) (POI) (Omni + IO)

These are the three album groupings

HND knows whats up

marksellsuswallets
August 27th 2012

I keep trying to like this and it really is just a botched attempt at throwing guitars on top of b-sides from Omni to try to appease old fans.

Pun intended.