Alanis Morissette

very poor

by Joseph Viney STAFF
August 27th, 2012 | 98 replies

Review Summary: Worse than rain on your wedding day

Towards the end of the track “Celebrity”, Morissette appears to claim that she is “a tattooed, sexy, dancing monkey.” The lyric is indicative of just what is wrong with Havoc and Bright Lights. The angry, scorned young woman of Jagged Little Pill has finally given way to a confused, insipid and self-obsessed harpy. “Celebrity”, probably established as a wry aside at the nature of fame, is far more anonymous and plain than its intended targets. It is a trend that continues throughout the LP and is about as helpful and welcome as having the ***s on your wedding day.

Since we’re on the subject of defecation, let’s talk some more about the music. Morissette has now veered completely away from the acerbic, concise barbs upon which she made her name. Instead her flag is well and truly planted in the territory of the vague and ambiguous; one word titles so lacklustre even Pearl Jam would think twice before using them. “Havoc” is instead a paragon of boredom; a Tori Amos b-side in new clothing. “Spiral” winds its way into a landfill of musical proportions and “Til You” doesn’t make sense in any shape or form.

Perhaps this is to be expected after all. Just how long can you keep the fire of inspiration lit? Sales of Jagged Little Pill ensured that Morissette would be quaffing quail eggs and swan’s blood for the rest of her life, so why should she bother? It’s a little ironic (finally!) that you will be asking yourself the same question after two or three songs of this record.

Not even some admittedly slick production can drag this out of the mire. If you view your life through Thelma & Louise specs, convinced of your independence and strong-will in a tough, mad, bad world then this is the record for you. Roll the top down on your rusty car and drive off into the horizon as the end credits spill over the sub-standard rom-com your life has evidently become.

Morrissey World Peace Is None of Your BusinessArchie Bronson Outfit Wild Crush
Manic Street Preachers FuturologySweet Apple The Golden Age of Glitter
Parquet Courts Sunbathing AnimalSKATERS Manhattan
2.7

DaveyBoy

20857 Comments

"Well, life has a funny way of sneaking up on you, when you think everything's okay and everything's going right"...

& then Joseph reviews your album!

Deviant.

She looks happy

This can't be good

Digging: Objekt - Flatland

MO

lol great conclusion

Ire
August 27th 2012

& then Joseph reviews your album!

lol

Steoandnoodles

Too much production. =/
It's so clean.

19963 Comments

What happened to her? I loved Jagged Little Pill.

Digging: Grouper - Ruins

Aids
August 27th 2012

I had no idea Alanis had a new album coming out. Jagged Little Pill raised me, so it's too bad this is (allegedly) awful. I can't say I'm surprised though.

Digging: RATKING - So It Goes

HighandDriving

What happened to her?

She got old and started to suck like everyone else.

Aids
August 27th 2012

this review is so so so good. honestly, jviney might be one of the best reviewers on this website.

your move, Skoko

someguest

20929 Comments

I thought only angsty young women listened to her.

^Oh, right.

Digging: Dexter Gordon - Our Man in Paris

greg84
August 27th 2012

I think this is her best album since amazing Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie. There's some great pop song craft on this and the album's more stellar than her last couple of ones... I especially enjoy Woman Down, Celebrity, Lens, Spiral, Numb and the title track.

Digging: Dope Body - Lifer

greg84
August 27th 2012

Ooops... double post. The review doesn't convince me, but everyone is entitled to his opinion.

MagmaWalrus
August 27th 2012

The lyric about how it's ironic like rain on your wedding day bothers me because that's not ironic at all.

JViney

71981 Comments

all theyre gd at agreed

Willie
August 27th 2012

So, what kind of sound is she going with. The alt. rock of the earlier stuff or the electronic style of Flavors of Entanglement.

JViney

More the latter overall.

MagmaWalrus
August 27th 2012

That video sums up all my thoughts on her, awesome