This Good Robot
The Human I Am

by TerminalC USER (7 Reviews)
August 25th, 2012 | 7 replies | 1,261 views

Review Summary: A Remarkable Effort That Is Not To Be Missed

This Good Robot is, for the moment, a hidden kernel of magical wonder amid the festering pile of filth that is modern music. Don't expect these guys to stay small for long: this band is destined for great things. This Good Robot (from now on referred to as TGR) has crafted a sound that's truly hard to categorize. The bands facebook page lists them as 'postindiefolkelectropopcore' and it couldn't be more apt. The band's sound changes dramatically from song to song; "The Human I Am" is a more sincere indie-pop tune than Fun. could ever hope to write, while "We Don't Just Rock Together We Roll" wouldn't feel out of place on an Everytime I Die album. Yep, we're talking that kind of variety.

Each bandmate (and there are 8) is an accomplished musician, and it shows. From crushing electric guitars, frantic drumming, and haunting piano melodies, the band has it all. Vocals, courtesy of former Patent Pending vocalist Michael Ragosta, are simply remarkable. Ragosta hits a wide range of notes and has clearly improved his technique since his Patent Pending days. What of his lyrics you say? Why, it's a concept album says I! Oh yes, full of heartache, betrayal, zombies, and superheroes, the album is a fun-filled romp wholeheartedly designed for you and all your friends to sing along with in the car.

Does TGR pull off all of the aforementioned song varieties well you may ask? Oh yes. Oh yes. Opener "Woe is Barnaby Black" is a romping sing-a-long for all the boys and girls to enjoy, while "The Human I Am" is a heartfelt slower jam that builds with intensity to a dramatic conclusion. Also, "Call the Police" features the worlds first recorded use of a metal chain as an instrument; hell yeah. The EP may be short, but every song featured portrays a quality no young band should be capable of, and most experienced bands should envy.

This Good Robot is positively an upcoming band to watch. As anyone who was fortunate enough to catch their set at Bamboozle this year can attest to, their live show is unparalleled and their first EP is just as impressive. "The Human I Am" is an EP that is not to be missed; If the band moves forward with the same passion, energy, and talent that is portrayed here, they will certainly be a wide-spread name before long.