Olafur Arnalds
Variations of Static

by a est . . i . c el USER (23 Reviews)
August 25th, 2012 | 8 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Sadly for Ólafur’s luck, he did not managed to escape the weight of this darkness.

After the major success that was “Eulogy for Evolution“ the young composer Ólafur Arnalds started experimenting much more with electronic elements. Adding electronic touches to classical music is not a bad idea, however; the electronic characteristics must never overtake or lower the quality of its counterpart, that is the main problem that showcases Variations of Static; the best moments in wish Ólafur Arnalds seducing minimalism works so damn well are shadowed by uninspired sub-par pulses. Variations of Static is barely saved by the song “Haust” maybe because it works mostly under his standard formula, or it is just more tolerable & enjoyable in comparison with the rest. Nevermind, this doesn’t makes Variations of Static an enjoyable album either; the inclusion of annoying sound samples in both “Við vorum smá…” and “Himininn er að hrynja, en stjörnurnar fara þér vel” ultimately nail the coffin, closing the door between awkwardness and complete anointment, er’ would make Giant Squid’s “Eating Machine” proud . This EP is a failed attempt at blending electronics and classical music, not only it loses all the splendor captured on “Eulogy for Evolution”, letting it go, it is never revisited on his following releases.

Variations of Static also seems like a collection of bad Nils Frahm outakes, playing uninspired & boring pieces for the most part instead of a subtle, emotional and beautiful suite. With a very low number of notable moments, this record in a way or another could have been easily improved; sadly it is not. One thing is for sure though, Ólafur Arnalds explored something that not so many composers did at the time and I completely respect that; thanks to this failed attempt a spark of fire started growing, reaching its incredible completion on the masterpiece “...And They Have Escaped The Weight Of Darkness”. Sadly for Ólafur’s luck; he did not managed to escape the weight of this darkness.

Taku Unami and Takahiro Kawaguchi Teatro AssenteThe Caretaker Theoretically Pure Anterograde Amnesia
Alfred Schnittke Psalms of RepentanceTuluum Shimmering Ulau Tau / Spirit Of The Sun
Tuluum Shimmering Raag Wichikapache / Lake of MapangAutechre Untilted
Matt Wolfe EMERITUS (3.5)
Icelandic boy wonder makes grown men cry with focused second effort...

August 24th 2012

This was my first "short review" and is close to a sound off, sixth reupload and yes, this ep sucks imo.

LifeAsAChipmunk
August 24th 2012

This is unsettling. I have been informed that his earlier work is rather incredibly. Have a pos, my friend.

whoop whoop

Sup bro Pos'd

Didn't even notice this was up at first, u did a good job man.

Thanks bro :]

Omaha
August 25th 2012

Olafur sure knows how to bore with his studio albums. I watched a live video of him and Frahm, and it was much more enjoyable than the sterile studio setting.

August 25th 2012

Yeah?, Ólafur is a great drummer, I even heard on a Lastfm thread that he did drums for a couple of
Heaven Shall Burn tracks; on which tracks do you dislike his drumming - his work on "And They Have
Escaped" is flawless.

August 25th 2012

Bro, check "And they have escaped", pure masterwork imo; and it is way more interesting & atmospheric than the electronic fuckload that is LRS, I don't know, that album was just not good, at least for me.

Check this and come back: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRxtLZtM880