JJ DOOM
Key To The Kuffs

by oltnabrick USER (19 Reviews)
August 22nd, 2012 | 126 replies | 9,358 views

Review Summary: Yet another fantastic collab album from DOOM.

Those who are familiar with DOOM know that he is no stranger to collaborative projects. In 2004 he released “Madvillainy” with Madlib under the moniker, Madvillian, and 2005 saw the release of the Danger Mouse collaboration, “The Mouse and the Mask”, as DANGERDOOM. Now in 2012 we have JJ DOOM and their debut album, “Key to the Kuffs”, which is the collaboration between DOOM and producer Jneiro Jarel. “Key to the Kuffs” is DOOM’s first full-length album as a MC since 2009’s, “Born Like This”. With this large gap of time that DOOM hasn’t released any new material, you would expect his approach on “Key to the Kuffs” to be a little different than before.

One of the first things you will notice when listening to “Keys to the Kuffs” would be the syth laden boom bap beats that Jneiro Jarel has laid down for DOOM. This style of production is very different when compared to the sample heavy, lo-fi beats of albums like, “MM…FOOD” and “Madvillainy”. Despite this difference, the production is still very similar to the way Madlib handled production on “Madvillainy” with many of the vintage sounding samples and the laid back style of the beats. The beats themselves are very strong and, although they have a lot of layers to them, aren’t overbearing. The synth used in many of the songs, such as “Banished” and “Bout the Shoes”, also add a whole new feel to DOOM’s style giving the songs somewhat of a vintage 80’s video game feel to them.

The album also features some of the biggest guests in DOOM’s career, like Damon Albarn of Gorillaz/Blur, Beth Gibbons of Portishead and Khujo Goodie of Goodie Mob. Although these are some pretty big guests most don’t seem to interfere with the album or outshine DOOM on any tracks. The only track that really seems out of place is “STILL KAPS” with Khujo Goodie due to the fact that it’s a really short song and doesn’t feature DOOM at all. Despite this one flaw the rest of the guest’s features are typically used as more of something to add atmosphere and texture to the songs and really work to the song’s advantage.

But let’s not forget the reason why most of us checked out this in the first place, DOOM. On “Keys to the Kuffs” DOOM delivers his trademark low gravely vocals with some of his wittiest lyrics to date. His vocal delivery is very similar to that on “Madvillainy”, in the laid back way he raps cohesively over the beats. He really doesn’t do anything different with his usual lyrical style until the track “Winter Blues”, which is probably the most personal song in DOOM’s career to date. The track “Wash Your Hands” is also notable because of its funny subject matter, being about not washing your hands and going to a strip club, and its more upbeat production than most DOOM fans would be used to.

While “Key to the Kuffs” may not be the next “Madvillany” or “Operation: Doomsday” it is another solid album from DOOM and proves that DOOM is still better than most other MC’s in rap music today. “Key to the Kuffs” is a potential rap album of the year and should be something that any hip-hop fan listens to in 2012.

Xavier Wulf and Bones ダサいYung Lean Unknown Death 2002
Cerekloth In the Midst of Life We Are In DeathAction Bronson Saaab Stories
Lil B P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thug)Three 6 Mafia Mystic Stylez
Hillary Clittounge (4.5)
"This is the news: shh! You see what I’m sayin’? HEAR ME THIS! This crazy nigga comes on the rad...

Pavel Sukany (4.5)
The undisputed king of hip-hop villains finally released something what devoured me in a good way...

August 22nd 2012

His best album since MM...FOOD.

Digging: Ben Frost - A U R O R A

808muzik

Really?

Digging: MO - No Mythologies To Follow

Well I think so

August 22nd 2012

well there's only been like 2 albums that he's rapped on since Mm..Food (DangerDoom and Born Like This), so it's not like it's a stretch to say it's the best since then.

idk if this is better than DangerDoom, but it's at the very least on par (likely better than) Born Like This.

vintage 80’s video game feel

totally. and it's awesome. great review dude.

Digging: Symptom - Caverns Of Katabasis

WeepingBanana

damn i gotta get this

August 22nd 2012

I liked DOOM on The Mouse and the Mask but all the ATHF samples kind of held it back.

^agreed

August 22nd 2012

Thought this was really weak

Digging: Gamma Ray - Empire of the Undead

How so?

August 22nd 2012

Some of the beats were okay, but most were boring to me. And nearly all the rapping was more nonsensical than usual. I also thought many of the hooks were awful.

August 22nd 2012

man I love the beats on this, although it does start a little slow for my liking (first 2-3 tracks)

Hyperion1001

tracks 11 to 15 all kill, easily the best part of the album

Digging: Monolake - Interstate

August 23rd 2012

The beats on this really set it apart from other DOOM albums for sure

Caelum

Beth Gibbon slays on GMO

daIceman
August 24th 2012

I think this album is really fresh

Pentagon

1998 Comments

"tracks 11 to 15 all kill, easily the best part of the album" (2)

albums so dank

August 26th 2012

This album needs more recognition on Sputnik

Hyperion1001
August 26th 2012

besides madvillainy DOOM doesn't get all that much attention around here but he's not underrated by any means

hmm o i see

Rev
August 26th 2012

why don't I have this yet?