Eprom
Metahuman

Review Summary: Giving dubstep a whole new and futuristic look

Metahuman is a strange, but interesting beast. This San Fransico dubstep artist Eprom has been trying to further change the sound of electronic music as we know it. When we think of dubstep that almost everyone is familiar with (mainstream dubstep, but not necessarily brostep), we think of rumbling growling basslines with an extreme low end sound, slow brooding, but heavy rhythms. This album seems to still keep the typical dubstep sound while adding even more to the music by even adding in big hints of psychedelic, glitch, grime, hip hop and even some UK garage.

The variation on this album is astounding with almost every song adding something brand new to the table. The weird psychedelic moments can be shown on the song Prototype with a spastic synth spurting out fast arpeggiated lines whereas the grime/hip hop moments can be found on songs like Can Control and Floating Palace. Some songs have that classic grimey sound such as Transparency and others have a very glitch and psychedelic sound such as the first two tracks on the album. While moments on the album can be compared to 2562, Clubroot and other dubstep artists, other moments can be compared to even hip hop/ glitch artists like Prefuse 73. Some songs even do a bit of a side-chaining (which is the sound of a synthesizer fading in and out of volume when a drum pattern hits) such as the song Sun Death. There's even a few jazzy moments as well sounding a lot like Flying Lotus at times.

The diversity on this album is what keeps it a continuous enjoyable listen throughout and also showcases a lot of talent that the artist can go through these different genres of electronic music without making it sound unoriginal or and when a song finishes, it makes you hope that the next song will have a different sound. It was such a pleasure to have the song Variations end with flamenco guitar while adding in a dubstep approach along with it. The album has an overall very pretty and eloquent sound with the heavy rumble of bass blasting in your ears in almost every song, whether it’d be from the bass drum or synth. The production is very well put together with just enough compression on the beats and reverb on the synthesizers to give it an airy and echoed feel. The bass drum is booming and hypnotic and will leave you in a trance as the rest of the album unfolds on you. Little reverberated sound effects and blips and whips in each of the songs show that the album has a lot of atmosphere and it’s a really good way to show that the album and person who made it is aware of the surroundings and environment the album wants to be in. The sound on this album can be defined as dubstep enough to be considered a dubstep album, but it when it shows it’s other genres, it shows it tenfold the amount of the dubstep side.

That’s not to say that the album doesn’t have its flaws and don’t worry there aren’t a lot, but some that maybe a bother to some people. While there is a lot of variety on the album, there is also a lot going on in the songs with a lot of different sounds and synthesizers and while it doesn’t bother me too much, songs like Love Number, Floating Palace (especially the intro) and Metahuman get kind of overwhelming and annoying in parts with all of the synths that are coming at you in waves. The song Prototype is a very weak song and also incredibly annoying with its massive synth wave just blaring at the start. The song also switches between being glitch, post-dubstep and hip hop after the massive synth wave and while this shouldn’t bother me, it does because after that there isn’t enough time to fully establish a switch with the different genre. To me, this song seems like it was rushed just to fill in a spot for 13 songs. Another thing that this album is lacking is any emotion other than the feeling to dance or head bop and be pumped and, like I said before, it isn’t a very big problem.

Other than those minor flaws, the album is great. It is enjoyable enough to the very end and it is certainly an album that you can replay over and over again. As I’ve already said, the album is very diverse and abstract portraying multiple genres while still keeping its dubstep edge. Metahuman is one album you don’t want to spend the summer without.

Fallujah The Flesh PrevailsTroum Tjukurrpa (Part One: Harmonies)
Fennel Resuming the TrailRoots of the Sea Sky Without a Sun
Carbon Based Lifeforms TwentythreeAlio Die Deconsecrated and Pure
recommended by reviewer
2562 Aerial
Shlohmo Bad Vibes

Streaming:

Also give me a shout out if I made any mistakes or if what I'm saying is wrong. Also if my summary is
decent enough :P

August 21st 2012

Thanks Flutter! I'm digging this. I've been in the reviewing mood lately this one was very interesting :]

August 21st 2012

I don't listen to much dub-step but I do support your reviews which this was good and well explained. Pos'd.

Keep writing bro

Digging: Fleurety - Min Tid Skal Komme

August 21st 2012

future garage? lol gotta luv what peeps come up with when naming styles

might give this a whirl solely based on that descriptor

August 21st 2012

@Dunpeal it's an actual genre

August 21st 2012

well i doubt it's a genre. there's only like a handful of genres. from there it all trickles into styles/sub-genres

i don't debate over style/subs though. it's gay

August 21st 2012

Uhhh it sounds like a lot of artists, Shlohmo, 2562, Clubroot, Teebs, Flying Lotus

August 21st 2012

lol agreed. style debates usually venture toward elitist bullshit. gay

August 21st 2012

man, to be honest i usually go off of band name and song titles before i move into any tags/labels but yea i get what ur sayin

August 21st 2012

or how about "a thousand tiny labia" for that last part

i'd def go for that

August 21st 2012

I was thinking about saying something like that, but I just wanted to be as straight forward as possible.

let the river flo bro

August 21st 2012

A) Future Garage is a bullshit term which means sweet fuck all

B) There's certainly no future garage on this album (unless you think any garage in 2012 is future garage...)

Digging: Objekt - Flatland

MaskAtTheMasquerade
August 21st 2012

havent listened to this whole thing yet but Love Number is slaMMin

August 21st 2012

Well I only mention it twice in the whole review. I could change it with something else like post dubstep. I appreciate you referring to the quote: "Also give me a shout out if I made any mistakes or if what I'm saying is wrong." :]

August 21st 2012

Call it post dubstep and I'll slap you

It's neither

lol Dev

August 21st 2012

Well then my next guess would be grime? But that's probably wrong as well.

IT'S JUST GARAGE!!!!

August 21st 2012

lol alright I didn't know what songs you were referring to though I thought you were talking about
Transparency