War of Ages
Arise and Conquer

by Aaron Arneson CONTRIBUTOR (109 Reviews)
August 21st, 2012 | 21 replies | 2,813 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Don't hide behind your weakness...

Formed in Pennsylvania, metalcore act War of Ages have put out some decent albums, but none as aggressive or consistent as 2008's "Arise and Conquer". Showing an improvement in everything from the vocals to the drumming, this album was War of Ages at the top of their game. Another aspect that makes the listen more enjoyable is absence of needless breakdowns. That's not to say there aren't any but they are carefully spread throughout the album, making them more effective. There are also a generous amount of guitar solos, which is nice considering they seem to be a lost art in the world of todays metalcore bands.

The album starts out great with the head banger 'All Consuming Fire' which is a definite highlight. Vocalist "Leroy Hamp" sounds more confident in his voice than in past efforts and the song contains everything a metal song needs with its rapid drums, guitar solo, and breakdowns. 'Salvation' is also a great track that wastes no times as we are presented with a face-melting solo at just 13 seconds into the song. In it Hamp screams, "Don't hide behind your weakness" and "How selfish are we in the eyes of God?". For those who don't believe in God or are offended by Christian lyrics, it might be best to avoid this, but for everyone else the upfront lyrics help make the album more intense. The albums closer 'The Deception of Strongholds' is another standout and it is surprisingly melodic.

"Arise and Conquer" is a prime example of a metalcore band doing everything right. Containing no clean vocals other than the spoken sections, the energetic album is everything it needs to be. At times it's very aggressive and thought provoking, and sometimes it's catchy and melodic, but always executed well. It's a shame the band started adding clean vocals after this album because they had lots of potential and it really shows on this release. It's not groundbreaking but it's much better than the barrage of metalcore bands making music today. If your a fan of the genre and you haven't heard this band this album is definitely the place to start.

Recommended Tracks:

The Residents EskimoTrvth Approaching
Agalloch The Serpent and the SphereThe Byrds Mr. Tambourine Man
Somos Temple of PlentyFireworks Oh, Common Life
Matt Rounds (4)
War Of Ages is back with their third studio album on Facedown Records. It's not a new take on metalc...

Logo looks gay.

19627 Comments

I don't think it's that bad.

Digging: The Who - Tommy

Sounds gay too.

Ok review, make it longer the next time, not enough details.

19627 Comments

My last review was longer than this but I like short reviews, and if you think it sounds gay don't listen to it. problem solved.

19627 Comments

@Viper, I've seen staff reviews that are shorter than this.

August 21st 2012

STAFF dosent mean its good, but anyways most short reviews usally have a point behind them that makes them short.

GiaNXGX
August 21st 2012

This album is ok, the new one on the other hand; is horrendous...
THE METALCORE DOWNWARD SPIRAL....

19627 Comments

Ya well I'm trying to improve my writing. I don't want to bore the reader with a long-ass review if it's not even well written. As I get more feedback and learn to write better I will start to make them longer.

August 21st 2012

This one kid with terrible music taste from my high school loves this band

Digging: Armchairpolitician - Seven Segment Decoder

HitlerIsTheBest

extremely boring metalcore

sspedding
August 21st 2012

oi pal, he is giving you feedback. Make them longer.

19627 Comments

@NXGX, ya the new one is pretty bad. I'm thinking about doing a review of that one too cause I was so disappointed with it. The clean vocals ruined it.

3 paragraphs, what is this high school

19627 Comments

@Hitler, it's better than at least half the generic metalcore bands coming out lately.

19627 Comments

And yes Trebor, 3 paragraphs. didn't have anything else to say really.

macadoolahicky

The only WoA album I can really tolerate

All Consuming Fire rules hard

Digging: Messiah - Choir of Horrors

19627 Comments

Hell ya it does definitely one of my favorite songs by them.

November 19th 2012

19627 Comments

album still slays their new one sucks but I still love this one

DotEight
December 17th 2012

I mildly enjoy this album. All Consuming Fire is really good.

I keep clicking the album I want and it takes me to another by the same band. What the hell.