Evan Brewer
Alone

by a est . . i . c el USER (23 Reviews)
August 20th, 2012 | 19 replies

Review Summary: Alone with my Bass....

Loneliness in music is an old concept, we find pop albums talking about how she or he is heartbroken, doom metal albums talking about self depravation, nihilism and inner depression, country albums talking about whisky and personal issues. The thing is that the expression of loneliness has been musically channeled a high number of times over the course of this century but not so often you find an album that does it right. Bass guitar player Evan Brewer of The Faceless fame did exactly this on Alone, rather than focusing on already pre-formulated clichés what we have here is a completely original piece of work, I would even call it avant-garde.

Alone is compromised of 10 songs, each song explores different bass techniques and playing styles and must of the tracks are highly technical, Evan adds textured ambient melodies to each track, sometimes subtly (currency) but other times they take an exclusive part of the song (Actualize).What makes this LP such an achievement is that it never gets boring, instrumental albums are known for getting repetitive or boring (and that is even though it depends on your opinion) people usually look for vocals. Alone melodic affair serves as a more than welcome substitute to vocals, they have spirit and emotion and back-up Evan virtuostic bass lines. But that is not all, in vertigo he adds what seems to be percussion and on the following songs he adds more electronic elements that flow and complement perfectly in relation with the bass. Alone instead of becoming redundant and tedious becomes diverse and varied.

As stated before Alone expresses loneliness, the notes change from what could be called just technical virtuosity into emotional riffs that are prominent over the 27 minutes of Alone. Those sections might be inspired by jazz, or at least the engineering on those parts makes them sound so. If you have heard Intronaut’s Valley of Smoke you will have a clear idea of the production on this record’s ambient passages and bass lines. Like flower petals brushed against your cheeks the ambient sections are delicate sensations, subtle nuances; but without them this album would not have captivated a couple of people (including me) plus honestly; bass playing (only) this album would have been tiresome.

What Evan Brewer crafted is a set of songs that stand out each . Alone is a bass album that provides the listener with interesting ideas and surprises him with dazzling notes of ambient bliss. It is an album that I would highly recommend to anyone that is interested in “good” music, Someone that appreciates a minimalist sound and projects something beautiful out of it. Alone is a not to be missed relaxing experience… a very accessible entry into bass guitar music and in the end: A very good beginning to Evan’s solo career.

Taku Unami and Takahiro Kawaguchi Teatro AssenteThe Caretaker Theoretically Pure Anterograde Amnesia
Alfred Schnittke Psalms of RepentanceTuluum Shimmering Ulau Tau / Spirit Of The Sun
Tuluum Shimmering Raag Wichikapache / Lake of MapangAutechre Untilted
TechieCore (4.5)
Evan Brewer clearly displays he's a master at the bass guitar....

Your Itinerary

Third reupload, enjoy :]

solid review bro, I think I actually have this

It was solid but I took it off my ipod eventually so I'll have to jam it again

pos'd

SgtPepper
August 20th 2012

Good stuff here, man. I still need to check this out but you've certainly convinced me to make it a top priority. POS'd.

mindleviticus
August 20th 2012

Good review. This is kind of boring, tbh.

yeah this isnt something with any sort of replay value whatsoever

idk silent, Actualize is so damn catchy.

chesse13
August 20th 2012

hey isn't it great that he's in the faceless now!

oh wait

August 20th 2012

If Reflux still existed they would-ve teared apart any modern technical progressive wankery band within the core boundaries, but they no longer do :[

FearThyEvil

yeah this isnt something with any sort of replay value whatsoever

Definitely agree with this. It's basically a one and done no matter how good it was.

FearThyEvil

Truth

LifeAsAChipmunk
August 20th 2012

A XGX review! Have a pos.

Deviant.
August 20th 2012

Not a bad review but it still needs a fair amount of proofreading, which is weird given that this is the second time that you've uploaded the review to this site

Digging: Hyperdub - Hyperdub 10.4

August 20th 2012

This gets old quick. Dude has chops though; I wish he shined more on Autotheism though.

Digging: The Birthday Massacre - Superstition

Azn.
December 18th 2012

Oh wow I forgot about this.

Wish it were catchier.

Digging: Lil Debbie - Young Bitch

June 16th 2013

lol

June 17th 2013

I remember when i first submit this here on sput, good times

Relinquished

this is still good

YakNips
June 17th 2013

Still bass on this album

Digging: Black James Franco - Sun House